mircan

Getting USPA ratings at our DZ (in Europe)

Because of the bureaucracy problems with our aviation authorities, we are having great difficulties in getting skydiving ratings and licenses. It`s been like that for the last couple of years (since new legislation).
The easiest and fastest method right now is to go abroad (mainly US) and getting ratings there, then get nostrification / validation here. [:/]

My question is:
Is it possible that we get one USPA examiner to come here and hold exams and necessary test dives etc? It`s definitely cheaper to get one-two guys here then 10 guys in the US.

Is it doable? Is it by the book? Does DZ has to be USPA DZ? Anybody done this before? If so, can anyone give me some recommendation for rating company / individual?
We are located in Serbia.
Thanks.
dudeist skydiver #42

Because of the bureaucracy problems with our aviation authorities, we are having great difficulties in getting skydiving ratings and licenses. It`s been like that for the last couple of years (since new legislation).
The easiest and fastest method right now is to go abroad (mainly US) and getting ratings there, then get nostrification / validation here. [:/]

My question is:
Is it possible that we get one USPA examiner to come here and hold exams and necessary test dives etc? It`s definitely cheaper to get one-two guys here then 10 guys in the US.

Is it doable? Is it by the book? Does DZ has to be USPA DZ? Anybody done this before? If so, can anyone give me some recommendation for rating company / individual?
We are located in Serbia.
Thanks.

Yes it is easy enough to do.
Have the host DZ become a USPA GM then bring on a I/E in the methods of instruction you are seeking.

Matt
C-E
SL & T-I/E
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Thank you guys for such quick and precise answers. :)
Guess we`ll have to become a USPA group member?

The DZ doesn't have to be a GM member, but if it is not it is supposed to pay some sort of fee for the course.

Matt

Thank you guys for such quick and precise answers. :)
Guess we`ll have to become a USPA group member?

The DZ doesn't have to be a GM member, but if it is not it is supposed to pay some sort of fee for the course.

Matt

Which is a bastardization of the rule that was put into place,a nd how it was intended to be run.

The "fee" is equivalent to a GM Membership.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Yes the courses need to be held at a USPA Group Member DZ.

Incorrect.

Kind of, see diablopilot and I's posts above.

Matt

I saw those post and it is still incorrect. You can take rating courses at non USPA member dropzones. I have done it.

( I was not talking about fees or who has to pay them. Just stating that by saying "you can not take rating courses at non USPA member dropzones" is incorrect.)

Then you took courses not "sanctioned" by USPA.
The way the system is designed to work that is not allowed.

Matt

Incorrect again. The course was listed in Parachutist magazine before it took place. All the paperwork was filed with USPA. I got a rating. The dropzone was not a group member.

Then you took courses not "sanctioned" by USPA.
The way the system is designed to work that is not allowed.

Matt

Incorrect again. The course was listed in Parachutist magazine before it took place. All the paperwork was filed with USPA. I got a rating. The dropzone was not a group member.

Well some one some where screwed up. So far two members of the BOD have said that is not how it is to be run.

Was the DZ a member at the time of listing and it lapsed?

True, some DZ's have asked for "Waivers" to the "rule" and they have been granted, was this one of those?

The benefit (or one of them at least) to the GM program is not paying the fee, another is the free advertising in Parachutist under the guise of a listing. In that case it would be an editors mistake if the DZ was not a GM.

Matt

Yes the courses need to be held at a USPA Group Member DZ.

Incorrect.

Thank you for such a thorough response. I stand corrected since the DZ does not need to be a Group Member since they can also just pay the class 3 group member fee and still be ok.

In the AIC, now the IERC I was told that courses must be run at a G.M. DZ. I have not seen any information that has changed that since then. I have had more than one Board Member tell me the same thing (all of them current I/E's and on the Safety and Training Committee)

I have also seen a few people who received ratings, that are current and valid, but did not follow proper protocol. I can drink and drive all year long, it still doesn't make it legal just because no one says nothing to me.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com