Master_Yoda

Just curious... how young?

And yeah, 17 years old is not an infant, but people from other countries have posted videos of four year olds on tandems, so it's just a matter of time before someone takes their baby skydiving.

A friend of mine with something like (I think) 5k tandems jumps took their son aged under 3 years in a specially made harness - a few years back and not in the US. He (the son) has jumped several more times since.

The same Ti took my son on his first tandem, then aged 6. My son, now aged 13, has done 4 or 5 tandems, mostly in Europe.

Not all countries have the "blame" and litigious culture that the US has...

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

I personally don't agree with taking children that young on tandems, but I do agree that the litigious culture in the US is out of control.

I don't have kids, so I can't really relate. Please don't take this the wrong way, because I mean no disrespect, but if your friend had messed up the landing with your son and the boy had died, would you have not blamed the TI? How about the boy's mother? Would you have blamed yourself? It is always a tragedy when someone dies skydiving, but at least with adults they can understand the rsks and take personal responsibility for their choices. Children can't.

- Dan G

There are places here in the US that don't impose ANY age restrictions. (Wisconsin) I've seen it. The restrictions are not law, they are liability and manufacturer imposed.

And we all know there is a member of the USPA board that had all 4 sons at expert level jumping before they were 14 y/o. I used to jump with 2 of them.

AND THEY WERE 2 OF THE BEST JUMPERS I'VE EVER SEEN!!!

The US is a liability driven society
Take chances, just do it with all the information to make good decisions!!

Muff Brother# 2706 Dudeist Skydiver# 121.5

I agree that the rules don't make a lot on sense. I think one reason that DZ's are not willing to take people under the age of majority even though 14 year olds can fly gliders is that the FAA has specifically said that 14 years olds can fly gliders. .

would that make a 14 year old glider pilot a bandit jumper if he had to abandon his aircraft and open the parachute he is wearing ? :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

would that make a 14 year old glider pilot a bandit jumper if he had to abandon his aircraft and open the parachute he is wearing ? :)

Only if he was using the DZs glider and parachute and his parents didn't sign the waiver.

:)
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

One more issue that Booth has pointed out in the past; take a 14 year old girl for a tandem and see what happens when she accuses the TI of fondling her boobies, or otherwise molesting her. At that point the truth doesn't really much matter, your nuts are in the wringer, and you may spend the rest of your life as a convicted child molester. Granted, if the girl had a history of false accusations, etc. you could be acquitted, or charges dropped, but how many of you boys want to go through any of that? Your face goes in the newspaper as a skydiving instructor accused of molesting a little girl, it's stuck on you. Then when your proven innocent, it's not news any longer so who cares. More fun to "know" the the guys out at XYZ DZ are child molesters!
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

How about alot of skydivers would wanna keep there dz free from underaged kids.

Can you imagine 15,16,17 year olds running around the dz.
No thanks.
18 years old rule keeps us safe when it is time to hit that fresh aff chick.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

No thanks.

Age of consent varies by state, but generally it's 16, so you may be able to "hit that aff chick" after all! That said, be prepared for for a little conference with her father as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

No thanks.

Not sure what planet you live on, but there are quite a few of us on here who legally started jumping at age 16. Likewise, there at a ton of dropzones which have packers under the age of 18. Never mind the fact that I was flying a plane at six years old.

Chuck Blue
D-12501

How young can a tandem passenger be?
With parental consent of course.

I see a lot of good replies; but you kinda answered your own question.

Since a contract with a minor can not be enforced, and a parent can not sign away their minor child's rights - doing a tandem with a minor is basically doing a tandem without a waiver.

I am interested to know why this is not a problem in some countries. Can minors enter into and be held to a contract? Can parents sign away their child's rights? Are waivers not even used?

Is there precedence in places where minors are allowed to skydive; such as a minor that has been killed or injured, and an attempt to collect damages via a suit has been dismissed?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

A friend of mine with something like (I think) 5k tandems jumps took their son aged under 3 years in a specially made harness - a few years back and not in the US. He (the son) has jumped several more times since.

A child that young does not have a properly developed middle ear and the pressure changes can cause irreversabe damage.

Here in New Zealand there is no specific minimum age for tandem passengers, I have taken 8 and 10 year olds but I always discuss with their parents the middle ear factor and ensure that have no problem equalising due to flu/mucous etc...

They must fit the harness, and it is definately against the rules ere to use a specially made harness.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix