low_pull1

sl/iad or aff after a couple of hours tunnel?

just curious, My son wants to possibly start skydiving. Whats your "opinions" about a cheap path to an a license?

He has at least a couple of hours total in a few of the tunnels.

SL/IAD seems like it may be an inexpensive alternative??? whats s your thoughts

You buy your son tunnel time, but are worried about the cost of AFF?

Probably because he has bought his son tunnel time, he can't afford much more.:P Plus when it comes to tunnel time, the cost is pretty much the same no matter which tunnel you go to. But there are differences in prices for training methods.

SL is usually a much cheaper alternative to AFF and he should be at the same place (skill level) when he gets his license.

How about you check with the local DZs, and see who appears to run the safest operation and most comprehensive training program?

If you're trying to save money, you're going to be limited to your local DZs as adding travel costs to any program will jack the price significantly. Why not first pick the DZ you think will take the best care of your boy, and choose the least expensive option they offer?

I'm sure Ted Mayfield offered a cheap SL course at his DZ, but that's not where I would send my son.

Nope not worried. He buys his own tunnel time and his own luxuries.

AFF was intended to get the jumper flying at a more accelerated pace. If someone can already fly a little, why not skip the higher rates?? Just asking the question.

Put your kid through an IAD/SL progression... he'll get more jumps for his money and spend more time at the dz (which hopefully means learning more overall)

AFF students seem to worry more about freefall and dread the canopy ride... in my experience they don't seem to pick up canopy as quickly because there's SO much more to worry about AND they're always afraid of the bloody hop and pop....

SL/IAD students spend their first 5 or so jumps getting out at 3k... no biggie... they're more responsible for themselves and like i said, spend more time at the dropzone... and for someone who's keen to learn and learn well, it's good to be around the dz... you learn more... you get to know people more and in turn, have more opportunity to progress in the sport.

my 0.02$

just curious, My son wants to possibly start skydiving. Whats your "opinions" about a cheap path to an a license?

He has at least a couple of hours total in a few of the tunnels.

SL/IAD seems like it may be an inexpensive alternative??? whats s your thoughts

I think static line is a great program and definitely costs much less than AFF. The programs are designed to get the student A license qualified at 25 jumps.

Send him my way. I will take care of him. We have a great dz and a great student program.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

Nope not worried. He buys his own tunnel time and his own luxuries.

AFF was intended to get the jumper flying at a more accelerated pace. If someone can already fly a little, why not skip the higher rates?? Just asking the question.

Fair point, but any good dropzone will take someone who has that much tunnel experience and tailor the program around them. There are still a handfull of major skills that you can't learn in the tunnel.

Canopy Flight - Static line is prolly gonna be the best here and if you can find a dropzone with a decent program, the cheapest.

Tracking - I haven't seen any SL programs that have a strong emphasis on tracking and group work.

Altitude Awareness and Overall situational awareness - Dunno, I think this could go in favor of aff or static line. With a few hours of tunnel time, there is going to be a learning curve to develop the altitude awareness cause in the tunnel you just wait till the lights flash then miss the flashing lights then the tunnel rat reminds you "its time to get out." Skydiving you don't have that luxury.

AFF doesn't have to be expensive either, if he has all of the other air skills then there is no reason to do a long AFP style program that teaches turns and levels and docking and that stuff.

At the end of it all, the focus is going to be on surviving a skydive, dealing with the canopy, malfunctions and learning how to track all while staying altitude aware.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Put your kid through an IAD/SL progression... he'll get more jumps for his money and spend more time at the dz (which hopefully means learning more overall)

AFF students seem to worry more about freefall and dread the canopy ride... in my experience they don't seem to pick up canopy as quickly because there's SO much more to worry about AND they're always afraid of the bloody hop and pop....

my 0.02$

Bit of a generalization there, chief. I'd say it's only worth $0.005

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.