DeNReN

Terms

Symettry works like he said, and also it's considered "countering" because you are counter acting the effect of moving your right hand back and out of the airflow.

Some combination of those two things are how I teach it to students.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Thanks for the responces.

I asked this question because I used the term "counter" when describing how a student did on a 5 second delay this past Sunday and a visiting senior instructor looked at me like I had 2 heads.

VI: "How did the student do?"

Me: "He did great except for some reason he did not counter"

I asked the visiting instructor what term he used to describe the use of the left hand to "balance" the right hand moving to pull. He though for half a second and said "move left hand above head".

So here I am asking this question.

Is the term "counter" inappropiate...is there a better term?

Symmetry by its self does not seem like a good term to describe the movement....it is what we are trying to achieve by moving the left hand above the head while the right hand reaches...but can it be used as a term to teach the particular move to students?

Thanks again and blues

Den

Counter seems to work fine. Although the left hand motion is inclusive in the reach (arch, look, reach, pull!) and "reach" seems to cover it, it's not specifically referring to the left hand. "Counter" is a good term for that.

You won't find a consensus, nor is there a universal term for this, so I suggest you go with "counter". I think it's a good term for it, FWIW.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73