Dargri

AFF with a prosthetic arm?

There are skydivers with prosthetic arms, so the answer would have to depend on your particular circumstances.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I jump with one guy who has a prosthetic arm, and one guy who only has one arm. The guy with the prosthetic was jumping before he lost the arm, but the one arm guy started jumping with only one arm. I'm pretty sure he did AFF.

FYI - you may have to travel to find a DZ that can accomadate you. Even then you may have additional costs in either buying your own rig and having it built to suit your needs, or having one the DZ's student rig modified to suit your needs.

Once the training is out of the way, you should have no problem getting a license, and then you are free to jump at any DZ in the country. I'm not sure if they're still around, but there was a group called 'Pieces of Eight' that used to jump at Elsinore, and it was comprised entirely of amputee jumpers.

I recently jumped with a guy at an event in Perris that goes by Doc. Doc had his leg amputated when he was young. He learned to skydive with one leg (not sure what discipline) and jumps without a prosthetic which makes it pretty easy to pick him out on video or in the dive. Not only is he a skydiver, but Doc has a bunch of BASE jumps too.

Maybe not the same as one arm, but it definitely has its challenges.

If you want his contact information PM me and I will try to track it down. I'm sure he would be happy to talk to you.

Hi there! Can anyone tell if it's realistic to become a skydiver having a prosthetic arm?

Yes

POE

There will be an issue with equipment if you have a right hook as opposed to a left hook.
Right hook will require the rig to be set up for a left side pull and SOS system.

Call Jim Wallace at (800) 795 - 3483 FMI. If you are not in SoCal have your instructors call him before jumping with you.
He recently got Chuck Anderson (the one mentioned in the POE article with a right hook) recurrent.

Al Krueger, with a left hook, used the 'thumb post' to pull his reserve with a back up of the right hand.
There is an issue of the arm getting tweaked such that the post gets turned outwards and would not be able to pull the reserve.
Al is a World and National Champion.
If you have a left hook, I can send you Al's contact info and you can talk directly to someone that knows all the ins and outs.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Do you still have your elbow? As you know, it makes a world of difference in everyday life, and can make a huge difference in how you fly the parachute after you've deployed.

Definitely get with another arm amputee before jumping and discuss the ins and outs. There are some things that able bodied folks take for granted that us amputees can't. Your emergency procedures need to include the not only parachute malfunctions, but prosthetic malfunctions. An able bodied instructor can't help you with that.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more. I'm a right BE, but I was an experienced jumper before I lost my arm.

- Dan G

A major concern should also be how securely your arm is attached. If someone were to give it a good yank, is it possible the prosthetic could come off or rotate out of position? I ask this because i'm the DF that lost his leg last summer. I'm a BK.

Yeah, I lost my arm last fall. That blew.

I was able to deal with it only because I had a fair amount of practice flying with one hand, but there were other issues I hadn't thought of (like getting to both toggles in the first place.)

No matter how secure your prosthetic is, you have to assume that at some point you'll either lose it, or lose control of it, and plan accordingly.

- Dan G

I recently jumped with a guy at an event in Perris that goes by Doc. Doc had his leg amputated when he was young. He learned to skydive with one leg (not sure what discipline) and jumps without a prosthetic which makes it pretty easy to pick him out on video or in the dive. Not only is he a skydiver, but Doc has a bunch of BASE jumps too.

If you want his contact information PM me and I will try to track it down. I'm sure he would be happy to talk to you.

If we're talking about the same Doc (who currently lives in Colorado), he lost his leg later in life in a skydiving plane collision. He was skydiving before he lost his leg.

Cheers,
Travis

If we're talking about the same Doc (who currently lives in Colorado), he lost his leg later in life in a skydiving plane collision. He was skydiving before he lost his leg.

If you are talking about Steve (Doc) Kinnett, I believe the loss of his leg was due to cancer many years ago. I met him in September in Colorado. Very cool to watch him on video skydiving. And yes he was skydiving prior to losing it.

This is tough since you're in Europe. If you were in the united states, I would certainly do what I can to help you get going. Certainly doable.

Anna (Dargri)
sorry I haven't replied...I been very busy plus lot overtime at work lately. like Travis said, it's tough in Europe and where you are, Belarus, they won't help you at all... I know you have looked in to jumping in Belarus, Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Lithuania and Latvia, studied official medical documents, contacted some experienced instructors. The reply was a definite no way to get a permission from medical board, no methods of teaching a person in my circumstances, (above arm amputee) no way to modify rig to SOS
but in USA it shouldn't be a problem. I've shared few Emails with DanG (Dan Glanz) we both are arm amputee skydivers and Me & DanG agreed that you have your head screwed on right and are serious about skydiving and have done your homework on issue of being a amputee skydiver.

I work for American Airlines AA and am willing to give you a buddy Pass [Technically a Non-revenue space available ] on American Airlines following city's
Frankfurt Germany, Zurich Switzerland, Paris France, London England, Brussels Netherlands. won't be free, it'll cost me around $400 each way. or about $800 round trip, for the nov-revenue service charges, but this is cheaper than buying a ticket...plus addition service charges after you arrive in USA to either Chicago (ORD) or New York New York JFK to continue to a city near a dropzone that will help you. I'm looking at few bigger dropzones Perris California, Z-hills / Deland Florida, and Eloy Arizona and Raeford North Carolina

I figure that trip will cost ME about / around$1200 USA dollars Dan Glanz has offered to throw in $200 to help with your airfare to travel here. If we go to Raeford North Caroline DanG (Dan Glanz) has also offered to throw in some wind tunnel time to help you.

I spoke with Jump shack about donating a used Rig set up for SOS for you, but Nancy LaRiviere was out of USA at the time. The woman I spoke with thought it was great idea, I need to follow up with her. / Jumpshack & but Nancy LaRiviere. Nancy set my gear up as SOS for me.

Most drop zones I've called, their gear / rigs are not set up for SOS for arm amputee. I was hoping to get a container to set up for SOS then find a large docile main & reserve to fit it. Maybe someone will offer to donate a main / reserve?? Any one? Anna is 5'6" 120 lbs. (she gave me her measurments as: 54 kilograms 170 centimeters , 54 kilograms which is equal to 119 pounds , 170 centimeters which is equal to 5.58 feet or 5'6")

so follow dropzone dot commers..? Any one want to help me get her here to USA to make several AFF skydives? $ or gear to help? maybe place to stay on dropzone?

I was in Hawaii Recently, and I forgot to ask J.C. COLCLASURE if he would train her? winds are perfect in Hawaii steady breeze...

OK I'm starting this rolling with Airfare, to get Anna (Dargri) here to USA anyone else want to help me & DanG? (Dan Glanz) ) Any AFF instructors want to help her?
Mike Boland
deaf / left arm Amputee skydiver