shorehambeach

Alti failure - what to do.....

look at clouds

make mental notes of cloud altitudes on climb up.

Back around 50 jumps I was in a 206 riding to altitude with a older skydiver, ex-SEAL supposedly. When we approached the cloud deck he tapped me and said "look at the clouds". I thought to myself "fairly pretty". A couple of minutes later he tapped me again and said "look at the clouds". I looked at them and thought "fine example of cumulus, but WTF?" A minute later he taps me again and said "look at your altimeter. If it fails on the way down that cloud deck is your altitude reference". I haven't passed through a cloud deck since without noting the altitude.

As an update I have now adopted several of the very good pointers mentioned in this thread.

Got my alti fixed for free on a next day service from Alti Europe (superb service)

Now I spend my time in the plane looking at the relative sizes of houses/cars/roads /buildings.... cloud levels (common in the UK!) and noticing the change from BLUE to GREEN as my altitude decreases in freefall.

Thanks again to all those that answered my questions and sent me PM's

I will be jumping in Deland next week - much nicer than wet and cold England !

One thing I haven't seen in this thread yet:

IF you decide to pull (likely) higher when your altimeter kicks it, immediately steer your canopy away perpendicular to the jump-run, since that steers you away from everyone else coming after you.

Of course, this requires looking out the door on jump-run, and noticing the course relative to a non-moving object (the sun, or a big mountain/town/river nearby). But checking the spot is something you should do anyway.

Close one, but still not the scariest one I've seen so far. This guy is the luckiest man I've ever seen.

Some nice tips in here for when I'm healed enough to go back and finish AFF... :)
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.