Definition of a instructor

I thought I'd look up the true definition of a Instructor
off of Websters online dictionary
this is what i got.

Instructor
definition: Instructor
Instructor
Noun

1. A person whose occupation is teaching.

Date "instructor" was first used in popular English literature: sometime before 1258. (references)

Etymology: Instructor \In*struct"or\, noun. [Latin expression, preparer: compare to the French expression instructeur.]. (Websters 1913)

Noun: teacher, trainer, instructor, institutor, master, tutor, director, Corypheus, dry nurse, coach, grinder, crammer, don; governor, bear leader; governess, duenna; disciplinarian.

So with that, what is your responsibility when it comes to any kind of instruction in skydiving ?

Does your liability lessen on different types of instruction and why do you think it does?

I edited so not attached to any other tread
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

So with that, what is your responsibility when it comes to any kind of instruction in skydiving ?

Does your liability lessen on different types of instruction and why do you think it does?

You are really asking two questions there. Responsibility and liability may be related but they are two different things IMO.
Arrive Safely

John

As John has already said, responsibility and liability are two seperate things, even if linked in many ways.

My responsibility never lessons on any jump that I call my self Instructor on, never. The same is true when I am coaching. It may not be my duty to pull for a coach student, but I am still just as responsible to assure that my student recieves the knowlede and skills that he or she needs to progress in our sport.

If you have a rating or endorsement for somthing then you are liable for any information you give, if you do not have a rating or endorsement, then any instruction you give whethergood or bad is not backed up by a rating and the responsability remains with the person reciving the instruction and the DZSO or Cheif Instructor, rather than the person that gave the instructions.

It is commonplace that bad advice is given to people by non instructors with the best intentions.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

If you have a rating or endorsement for somthing then you are liable for any information you give

Not in the Litigious States of America. I am responsible, morally and ethically, for all the information I give, but that multi-page piece of paper that both I and the student signed says quite clearly that the only one who is legally liable is the person who makes the decision to leave the airplane.

It is commonplace that bad advice is given to people by non instructors with the best intentions.

I've heard plenty of bad advice given by people who hold current pieces of paper that say they are instructors. They'll keep giving it out, too, since there are no requirements for maturity, time in sport or common sense to get any USPA instructional rating other than tandem - and that's only a time in sport requirement.

I am a Ski Instructor, they call us Ski Pro's right now, something to do with taxes, but it is still an Instructor.

Anyway, the priority of our mission is simple and Safety comes first, that is our responsibility. If we fail to communicate and reinforce safety then we are out of a job. That is relevant to a chair lift, collisions and most importantly the Ski Responsibility Code - http://www.coloradoski.com/Resorts/SkierSafety/. I think the code is mostly about protecting others.

Just like skydiving, people die skiing, they just don't often realize that when they drop in on a nice blue run.

I think it varies a lot.

When I'm being a tandem instructor I will tell people "Don't worry, I'll get you down safely as long as you do what I say".

When I'm teaching an experienced skydiver to fly a wingsuit I always tell them "As long as you don't fuck up you should be fine, but if things go to shit out there no one is going to be able to save you. Once you step out the door you're on your own."

"Instructor" doesn't have to mean the same thing all the time. Saying that a tandem instructor and a wingsuit ffc instructor or Base FJC instructor have to carry the same amount of responsibility for their student's safety just because they all use the I-word is ridiculous. I think the important thing is that the correct expectations are set beforehand.