hairymango

Work in Canada- anyone done it? info please

Around here (Ontario/Quebec) the DZ's close for the winter. I think the pay and cost of living is probably similar but every piece of advice I've heard says you can't make a living doing that. Out west near Vancouver they may operate all year around as the winters there are really really mild.

-Michael

As far as I can tell there are exactly three non-DZOs who earn their living in the industry in Canada exclusively (or almost exclusively). Two of them are master riggers and I am the third; I am either emmigrating to New Zealand next month or leaving the industry. In short I am going to starve to death.
The industry can pay well over a seven month season, but often does not; there are exactly five DZs with turbines. Pay is similar to US ($30-50/tandem, $5-7/pack job, $10-20/tandem rig, $50-70/reserve pack).
But don't let me stop you.
Good luck

When I worked at Pitt Meadows (Vancouver market) I got about 250 as the number two. I think Rigerrob's best year would be around 400. The DZOs son at Abbotsford told me he did 800 last year, but I don't think the employees get that many.
In the Toronto market the Otter DZ doesn't fly every day and they have a big pool so I don't think they are getting more than about 300. The KA dz maybe the same or a bit more.
I really don't have a clue about the Montreal DZs or Quebec City dzs.

I have been doing tandems every weekend at Burnaby (otter dz) in Toronto. I've done around 160. Don't move to Canada to earn a living skydiving, that is ass backwards! Of course there are many other reasons to come. The only really busy months are July-September here.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

There is actually lots of work available in the industry here in Canada. Especially for a experienced person with the correct ratings.

There are 2 dz's in western Canada that are fulltime all year round. Pacific Skydivers in Vancouver area would be an option, great dzo and staff and the dzo is willing to negotiate in order to get the best people. He also has 2 other very busy dzs during the summer. The other one in the area I dont know anything about.

The point is that you can earn a good living by being multi rated, work for the right dzs and work hard.
There is a lot of opportunity here for people who want it.

Quinny