skybytch

would you fail a student for canopy control issues?

CSPA allows us to pass a student on freefall tasks, but fail them on canopy control.
They would be allowed to jump again - after remedial training on canopy control - but would advance faster in freefall.
If their canopy control remained poor, they would never graduate.

I don't see why this is such a tough concept on this thread. It's likely what people do in 'real' life.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

That could be a good option at a dz that does static line though.

Or those dz's that use a para-sim to train with, we just put them back into the sim and make them do it over and over, can even fuck with them and throw in a mal or real bad spot, all kinds of cool groovie stuff.:)
After a few rounds in the sim we rejump cat b. I might even make notes as to passed the FF but flunked the canopy parts in log book, this way they don't feel like a total dumbass, just a halfass.:D
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

CSPA allows us to pass a student on freefall tasks, but fail them on canopy control.
They would be allowed to jump again - after remedial training on canopy control - but would advance faster in freefall.
If their canopy control remained poor, they would never graduate.

That. We do an IAD to AFF progression. The goal is to have students off of radio by the time they hit AFF and most are, often by a jump or two. Still, I will let someone go to AFF while still on radio if they need it. If they suck in freefall but do well under canopy, I'll clear them off radio and get their rear riser and front riser work done, even if they're just repeating level 4's, so why not show the same flexibility in the other direction?

They need a combination of knowledge, freefall skills, and canopy control skills to graduate, and I'll adapt and let them advance in one but not another while working toward that goal. They will not get out from under the supervision of an instructor until they have all three tools in their bag of tricks.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Fail Them - Yes

What does that mean to people here? (recall her question was do you fail them to the "next category/jump". Not fail to graduate.)

Do they redo the level's freefall portion as well as the canopy goals?

If so, that's nuts, why can't they fail the canopy portion and still advance to the next freefall requirement?

It would be like insisting they need a radio until they demonstrate the ability to do back loops in freefall.

Fail to graduate - yes
Fail a level - not really

maybe the levels need to be defined as specific freefall goals, and the course itself needs to have a general canopy control requirement. Both need to be met, but level progression is defined by only freefall skills.

Anyone have the new progression for AFF? I'm very outdated in the level definitions.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants