darnknit

Knowing when to sign out

today, i had a hard opening on a tandem jump. i debriefed my student, and then harnessed and helped with the training on my next student.

at about the ten minute call i noticed that i was feeling nauseous. i knew that was a symptom of head injury, but i hadn't hit my head. i decided not to do the jump and was replaced with another instructor.

on my way home, the road i normally take was closed, i found this situation confusing even though i know different routes for the 1.5 mile journey.

when i got home i couldn't understand why i couldn't get my keys out of the ignition. it was because i had never taken the car out of drive.

if you had asked me at the five minute call to take the student, i still would have said no, but i would have been 99.99% sure he would be o.k. if he went with me.

twenty minutes later i was having difficulty managing a machine i'm familiar with through territory i'm familiar with.

i'm happy i made the right call, in retrospect i would have gotten somebody to drive me home.

i hope that helps, or reminds some of us. it sure was a big reminder to me.

pulling is cool. keep it in the skin

Great story.

We often see accidents with no apparent cause...experienced jumper makes bone-headed mistake without any reasonable explanation. This story helps to shed some light on such accidents.

Several years ago I was visiting a new drop zone and was just getting the beginnings of a head cold. The ceiling was at about 4,000 so I made a low jump. I did a standard 180 front riser turn to a deep straight in landing, but when I came out of the turn my head was a mess. I felt crazy dizzy, the ground was spinning super fast, and I couldn't focus on anything. I swore the parachute was still in a steep turn and I wanted to jerk down on the opposite toggle, but I knew both of my toggles were even and at full flight. I'm a commercial pilot and immediately recognized the issue as vertigo, probably related to the minor head cold, so I responded with a half break landing, sort of a PLF, and a slide. I was fine, but real shook-up.

Suddenly I understood one of the reasons people may make really stupid low altitude turns. It probably doesn't happen much, but I'm sure there have been a few unexpected vertigo induced fatalities.

Through the years I've encountered other crazy and unexpected medical problems, either in the first person, or among other experienced jumpers. Crazy stuff happens, and we always need to be ready to stay on the ground when confronting unexpected or unusual medical issues.

Glad that you are OK, and that you made the right decision.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Dehydration or exhaustion will produce similar symptoms.

That has gotten me before, nearly very very badly. Exhausted and very dehydrated from a day of jumping, the texas heat and the night before I was about 6" from a shattered ankle on the tarmac after a low hook. I shook it off, was mad at myself so instead of recognizing it for what it was, I got on the next load. This time I hit the tarmac, but wasn't as low as the first time and was able to do a half-PLF and slide on my feet (into the golf cart, since I was going 90deg the wrong direction). Luckily I came out uninjuried. Luck. I quit jumping for the day. The next day I was hydrated up with a good rest and I was fine.

This is one of the adding factors to the dangers of boogie jumping.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Way to recognize that you were somewhat incapacitated and not exactly ready to jump. Its not like its your first day anyway.
I've never gone to a doctor because of it but I've had a couple of hard tandem openings where I felt like I had a concussion. Sleepy, nausea, loss of balance.... you know the drill. Best move is to take a seat on the couch and ride it out. I'm guessing (and hopefull) that you'll be fine tomorrow.
In the meantime have a couple of shots for me.
That always seems to help:)
Aaron
“God Damn Mountain Dew MotherFuckers!”