mac2501

best DZ in the US to get ratings

Gotta disagree with you here Mykel...some course directors cannot teach worth a shit.

Until I took a course with Jay Stokes, I didn't think course directors taught at all. Their function has usually been to test, not teach. Having Jay help me get ready for the tests was a pleasant surprise.

Blues,
Dave

Yup, Jay is awesome...

I have not taken a course with him yet, but he gives them often at Skydive Spaceland and I watch him very closely.

Another reason to take your course at www.skydivespaceland.com...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Are you baiting me, Mykel?
:D;)

.So you are telling me that of all the 8 candidates that took the course when I did, all of us are equal to one another in terms of how well we teach? How well we communicate with students? How well we take care of our duties around the workplace?

No! Not at all! On the individual basis, of course one who makes the attempt at success will more likely succeed. One will get more out of it than the next. No argument there at all.

And that the only reason I am at the level of quality as an instructor that I am is due to the way that Don conducted his AFFCC?

Mykel...you know that this is a leading question. Of course YOU had something to do with your success too, didn't you?
:P

Are you saying that if I had taken the course with someone other than Don Y (don’t get much more dark age than him with a huge ego who loved making $$) that I would be a better (or worse) instructor?

Absolutely! Assuming that there is no such thing as the "best intructor there is", then yes. That's it exactly. Note that I am not knocking Don Y at all in any sort of way.

So I would be a better instructor today had Jay Stokes been my course director? I am left to wallow in the throws of mediocrity because I got stuck with Don???

It's quite possible that your statement could be true. Equally possible that it could be untrue. I could almost guarantee that they are not exactly equal in all respects.

Fact is, just like Instructors, there are "good" and there are "mediocre" and there are "bad" Course Directors.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

...Until I took a course with Jay Stokes, I didn't think course directors taught at all. Their function has usually been to test, not teach. Having Jay help me get ready for the tests was a pleasant surprise.

"Teach", "help me get ready for the tests"...some say tomatos some say tomatoes.

Substitute your words for my words and it would be OK with me....same-same in my book.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

...Until I took a course with Jay Stokes, I didn't think course directors taught at all. Their function has usually been to test, not teach. Having Jay help me get ready for the tests was a pleasant surprise.

"Teach", "help me get ready for the tests"...some say tomatos some say tomatoes.

Substitute your words for my words and it would be OK with me....same-same in my book.

I think you missed my point. My perception is that most course directors play the role of examiner not teacher, i.e. that they don't try to teach, but merely to test. Jay Stokes taught and then tested.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)