Shyandinnocent

Words of wisdom for new AFF instructors?

Spring-loaded main pilot chutes are a rigger's nightmare.
The other disadvantage is that they launch the pilot chute into stagnant air over the back of a stable student, then it takes a few seconds for the pilot chute to - randomly - wander off to the side of the student in search of fast-moving air. Pilot chute hesitations are quite common with stable students.
Spring-loaded main pilot chutes actually work better for unstable students.

The other problem with spring-loaded main pilot chutes (and their ripcords) is transition training. Just after the student has mastered (10 or 20 jumps) pulling a main ripcord and saving it by stuffing it down the front of his jumpsuit, you have to break him of that habit and teach him the opposite technique for a BOC throw-out pilot chute.

Any of you who were skydiving back in the early 1980s will remember the miserable fatality rate during transition training: S/L to main ripcord to pull-out to 6 different versions of throw-out.

Far simpler to teach a student one deployment technique for his/her first freefall and have him/her stick with that technique for the next thousand jumps.

I am also a new AFFi.
I have learnt to be more aware and react better and faster by doing AFF with people that have heaps more experience than me and taking what I like from their teachings.

The best piece of advice I got which has helped heaps is to use your audible for the key times that students need to be doing things.
first beep at 6300 for the 6000 no more work etc, second for the pull etc.
It gives you the 2/3 seconds to get them to do something before you do it for them, and keeps you ahead of the game.

This really helped me especially in the beginning.
Now I am getting used to the time delays and don't rely on my audible as much.

Enjoy, and smile! Especially at the other instructor on the other side, or else they get grumpy and feel neglected!!:D

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

The other disadvantage is that they launch the pilot chute into stagnant air over the back of a stable student, then it takes a few seconds for the pilot chute to - randomly - wander off to the side of the student in search of fast-moving air. Pilot chute hesitations are quite common with stable students.
Spring-loaded main pilot chutes actually work better for unstable students.

Transition training aside.
We use springloaded pilotchutes and ripcords at our DZ and we teach our students to twist their bodies (as in a turn) on the count of one-three-thousand in order to send some clean air over their backs to send that pilot chute off into the stratosphere.
We don't have problems with hessies, and we don't have problems with line twists.
Apart from being a riggers nightmare (we just buy new ones when they die out), what other downsides can there be?

It's never too late for a low turn!

Wow, you were a static liner? Cheers. I have never done a static line, my intro to skydiving was AFF but static line always reminded me of Fandango :o. I am glad I learned AFF but feel a little different from those who had to get out so much lower and rely so much on the equipment. First time I saw one (30 or so jumps) I got nauseas for him.

Anyhow, off on a tangeant again ... :P to answer your question in my non-expert opinion about spring loaded pilot chutes and students ... I think there are pros and cons to them.

The only real downfall I see with students using spring loaded pcs is having to reteach them and train them to reteach themselves a different method of deployment than they were trained to do.

Research shows that when under pressure or stressed, we act in the way in which we are familiar and do what we are taught or trained.

With that in mind, it is no biggy to transition someone to a different set of equipment as long as they are aware of the changes and practice what is necessary to accomodate those changes so their method of deployment is compatable with the equipment until it is "muscle memorized".

I would recommend a student who learned to pull using a ripcord, lay on their belly and practice throwing out a real pilot chute at least 25 times. It takes at least that to rebuild that ingrained muscle memory. With spring loaders, one tends to hold onto the deployment handle and with throw outs you want to throw the pc away from your body.

So, that is just my two cents, I am sure there are other reasons as well.

Blue skies.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

in reply to "What have you learned the hard way?
What are the big red flags you have learned to recognize?
Anyone have any specific advice for female instructors? "

"You gotta.... know what to call 'em "......(how to remember names names names :|)

" know when to call it "....(is this person REALLY ready to skydive?[:/])

"know when to let go ".. ( and do it :o!)

"know when to hold on "...( and dump em out:ph34r:)

"you gotta know how to tell 'em ( we're big kiddies now and ah've got something you're a troublin me with ....":()

"not allowed to yell 'em ..(if you do YOU SUCK >:()

" you're forced to smell 'em " B| ...

" and then you say so long :)

AS a female (or male) instructor you'll have to keep an even eye on your ability/ambition circuit. Don't go thinking you can leap frog your own learning curve. Gaps in an instructors knowledge can widen rapidly especially if you share em around.
Sooo get it right or check it out ...none of us should be too proud to admit we don't know something.

You may have to watch out for mollycoddling by some male instructors who might put you in situations beyond your abilities (and theirs) .

The female instructors I've known could skydive rings around most male skydivers . Their body shape, size & weight did sometimes call for special thought eg extra extra weigths., big suit on student.

Mostly it's good to have a female instructor or three around to balance out excessive testosterone related incidents.
Some gals & blokes prefer to be taught by the fairer ones.

May you always give your best and get better.

:)

First, many thanks to Randy Schroeder. We had a clash of heads during the course, however he remained professional and recognized [I think] my desire to be the best Instructor I could be [which meant lots of questioning methods and procedures during the course].
A season later I'm just being to learn, stepping back and watching our most experienced Instructors Pete Clark and Carol Sternberg work is an education in itself.

Advice for new Instructors? Listen in on as many FJC’s, Ground training, and Corrective training sessions as you can, everything else comes from your heart.
If you need a break - take it!
Nothing worse than going through the motions, re-charge your batteries: You and your student will benefit.

"What you got?? What you got???" Johnny 1488, April 1st.

Far simpler to teach a student one deployment technique for his/her first freefall and have him/her stick with that technique for the next thousand jumps.

Rob, I've heard this argument over-and-over again on the DZ over the years as well as I've engaged in it myself as many times as I've run from it... however... for the sake of discussion, I'll throw out, to let folks cut-up on, that a student-rig with Rip-Cord & SOS much simplifies training, normal and emergency procedures for the AFF student who show's up and will ever only do one or just a handfull of AFF jumps and never seen again on the DZ; ESPECIALLY when combined with an RSL and modern-AAD... obviously both requried on student gear anyways. HOWEVER, for those students that show up and are destined to turn into real skydiving addicts... who'll ditch their whuffo significant other, hock their stereo for jump tickets, disconnect the cable to save money for jump tickets and 10 years later have 1000s of jumps, several rigs and a closet full of boogie t-shirts to show for it... THEN... absolutely, with out a doubt, only ever teaching them one main deployment and cut-away/reserve set-up would be the way to go. I think the trick really here is we need to invent some sort of crystal, mood-ring or weegee-board to have students lay their hands on when they show up on the DZ to tell the future skydivers from those not... ;)

Anyway... NoShitChick... never done a Static-Line jump, eh?!!? I think you need to get a rigger to set-up a student rig for a direct-bag static line deployment and find some ol' grey hair around the DZ that held a static line jumpmaster rate to put you out... come-on back out to Cal City... I think I can remember how to hook you up... "ARE YOU READY TO SKYDIVE?"... "GET IN THE DOOR"... "GO!!!!" :)

On Topic

Never believe that you are so good that its not possible for you to die in this sport.

Pay attention to things and those around you.

Never quit learning.