Revillusion

DZ charging extra for "radio"

OK, simple then is best - If the costs are snuck in, then it sucks. If the costs are clear (whatever they are or however they are constructed or organized or whatever) and the student CHOOSES to purchase that service, then it's fine with me however the DZO charges.

It's not about what's 'fair', that's way too subjective. It's about what the market will bear. If the student doesn't like it, they can go elsewhere. If enough students do that, then the DZO has something to think about.

For your example, why should a student who does excellent and doesn't require the supplemental 3 hours of training have to pay the same as the nitwit that does need it? (I'm not defending the DZO so much as the good student who costs less to train correctly). The 'good' student could use that money to hire post grad coaching and thus help himself and the DZ with his followon business - good for both.

I'll also go further with your position for the contrast. Perhaps a student who has to repeat Level IV seven times should only have to pay for it once?

(Your 'going further' reeked of Skyride tactics, I've haven't seen more than one DZO that even 'snuck' in extra costs to the detriment of customers - and that stuff was minor)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

in reply to "For your example, why should a student who does excellent and doesn't require the supplemental 3 hours of training have to pay the same as the nitwit that does need it? (I'm not defending the DZO so much as the good student who costs less to train correctly). The 'good' student could use that money to hire post grad coaching and thus help himself and the DZ with his followon business - good for both.

I'll also go further with your position for the contrast. Perhaps a student who has to repeat Level IV seven times should only have to pay for it once? "
Further to furtherer .... why should any-one pay???;)

The 'nit-wit' student you referred to is possibly a future world class skydiver if handled with respect and guided with decency . not just seen as a meal ticket or free jump express.

The student /instructor relationship is a two way thing. The student isn't always to blame for their inexperience or slow learning . Sometimes its an ill equipped and poorly skilled operation that's at fault.

In todays world you go to height twice you pay twice ...usually.:P unless you're a free loader.

...otherwise I agreee with most of your statements.

The 'nit-wit' student you referred to is possibly a future world class skydiver

maybe so, but not at that point in time and certainly his world class potential is not the DZO's responsibility, except for the safe training resulting in a fair profit and a good experience.

otherwise I agreee with most of your statements.

Including the ones about jelly donuts and 17 bikini models?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Is it just me or is this really absurd?

I think it's absurd. I will ALWAYS weigh in on the side of safety. Charging someone extra for radio rental is like charging someone extra to fly "in the big airplane".

Giving them the radio IS weighing in on the side of safety. Charging them (or not) is a completely separate issue completely up to the DZO.

Edit: Here's the business reality. $40 rental, $42 rental with radio (since they kick 2 buck to the guy manning a radio - cost only, no additional profit to the DZO). The non-radio student gets the discount. "What? you consider that an extra charge to the radio student rather than a discount to the non-radio student?" "FINE" "$42 rental whether or not they have a radio." Now we aren't charging the non-radio student extra.

It all depends on how you look at it. I think it would be great if all students just got it all for free. I don't think DZOs are sitting around in their mansions and eating cavier.......

It all depends on how you look at it. I think it would be great if all students just got it all for free. I don't think DZOs are sitting around in their mansions and eating cavier.......

You must have never seen the 5000 square foot house that Ben Butler lives in or the Lamborghini that Cary drives.

You must have never seen the 5000 square foot house that Ben Butler lives in or the Lamborghini that Cary drives.

True, other than SDArizona back in 1990, my regular DZs have all been relatively small operations. But even at the big DZ, I though Larry was top notch and not 'greedy' about it. I do remember a strange obsession about collecting on bunkhouse fees immediately instead of putting it into the final tally, but that wasn't Larry.