tqsmile

tandem exits c206

I jump one nearly everyday but an important question is are you jumping a rear door or not?

The C206 I jump from is a standard forward door (swing up variety). Climb out is a bugger at times. There are two schools around here for climbout and exit, the first which we use is gearup etc is done kneeling facing forwards.

After usual checks get your student to lift their feet forward and have them sit on your knees. They can walk their feet forward and around, place them on the step easily.

Drawback is you need to get forward and turn the rig past the pilot seat. Brief them not to push up on exit or you will wear the door :P

The other option (personally I don't like it for front door 206) is to sit facing the rear with your student between your legs, gear up and slide backwards until your rig is almost pushing the controls then have your student swing their legs out onto the step. Exit is the same after that.

I believe that the rear door would be the same as a Caravan or similar exit but have not had the pleasure yet :(

hope this helps
Koppel

edit for camera - front door 206, have your camera hang from the rearof the door for a great closeup on exit, if you don't like your camera that close then place them out on the strut for a geat climbout shot.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Just make an exit like in a caravan, only the door is smaller.
Put the camera in the back.
Place your foot next to his and make an exit facing the prop.
If my passenger is not that heavy I do not use the foot in the door. Just swing into the relative wind.

Probably you need a couple of jumps to get used to the smaller door. But if you have the right feeling it is very hard to exit instable.

Of course I'm talking about a door behind the wheel.
Rolling the door very tight also helps in creating more place

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

When I used to do tandems out of a 206 I would sit on the edge of the door with the student pretty much completly out and hanging from you. I would then pull their legs back with mine, just before exiting. It used to work fairly well.

that is how one very experienced guy at our DZ does it. We have no step. I think he is referring to a U206 with the cargo (roll up) door...

rm

ideas on a tandem exit poss with camera flyer out of a C206

1. Sit on the floor
2. shove all the feet out
3. Bend passengers leg / feet under the plane
4. Grab doorframe, say bye,bye and search for relative wind... :P

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

I jump one nearly everyday but an important question is are you jumping a rear door or not?

The C206 I jump from is a standard forward door (swing up variety). Climb out is a bugger at times. There are two schools around here for climbout and exit, the first which we use is gearup etc is done kneeling facing forwards.

After usual checks get your student to lift their feet forward and have them sit on your knees. They can walk their feet forward and around, place them on the step easily.

Drawback is you need to get forward and turn the rig past the pilot seat. Brief them not to push up on exit or you will wear the door :P

The other option (personally I don't like it for front door 206) is to sit facing the rear with your student between your legs, gear up and slide backwards until your rig is almost pushing the controls then have your student swing their legs out onto the step. Exit is the same after that.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I much prefer your second exit ... done it for my last couple thousand Cessna jumps.

When I used to do tandems out of a 206 I would sit on the edge of the door with the student pretty much completely out and hanging from you. I would then pull their legs back with mine, just before exiting. It used to work fairly well.

Yes.
And just for giggles, I used to slap the main wheel with my left hand as it helped me square my shoulders to the wind.

could you let me know why you prefer the second exit. It seems more awkward to me and I figured with a taller student with longer legs it could be difficult.

cheers
koppel

I also have long legs and a bad knee and a bad ankle and a bad back.
I just find kneeling for extended periods to be exhausting and painful.
Far lazier to sit on my arse - until the pilot opens the door - and simply roll out.

Furthermore, I am the rigger who has to repair all the containers that get dragged across the underside of the wing. For example, I quit doing poised exits - 15 years ago - after a student tried to stand up on the step, jamming me into the underside of the wing and bending a reserve pin!

my favorite exit from the C206 with roll up cargo door.

when you have the customer hanging outside while you check your handles kinda face a little towards the rear/cameraflyer. when you leave push off with your right hand so when you leave you 'are' facing the rear and backloop as you leave into the relative wind. this looks cool on video is fun and gets you belly into the prop blast quickly. you will already be facing the cameralyer as you come down the hill. be 'aware' of the drogue handle as you leave though. dont let it rub out of the spandex or hang up on any protrusions from the old door mechanism.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix