Hooknswoop

TI's/Stand-up landings?

I figure I had about 80+% stand-ups. I would have my feet wide, slide on my feet in light winds and lean way back, keeping the passenger's weight over my hips. If a soft stand-up wasn't assured, I could continue to lean back till we slide, leaning on the canopy

I figure I am very close to Derek in this regard. In all but the strongest winds I am going to end up sliding on my feet for some time, layed back. I try to slide, slide, slippity-slide on my feet and then pop to a standing stop. My Firebolt 350 carries alot of speed across the ground during landing in no wind conditions. If it's a big, tall passenger though, I am generally going to forego the stand-up in exchange for a clean butt slide. I have only ever had one person; a tall, older gentleman; injure himself. He broke an ankle when he reached for the ground.

I never make up my mind until the end.

...almost exactly my method as well. I'm sure you know all the tricks for the inevitable and various problem students such as the 'reach for the ground with the feet student' or the ever popular 'passed out, fat chick slumping in the harnes' student.

My stand-up to slide-it-in ratio is about 60/40. It goes in spurts. I'll go a stretch where I'm standing up everyone and than Ill go a couple of weeks where everyone gets their as grass stained. There are many factors and variable that seem to change for no apparent reason and in no particular order.

The dropzone that I do tandems at now has older, worn equipment. And there are two differant rig types with three differant canopies of various vintage. Every rig acts different and they are all inconsistent. We have variable and gusty winds a lot of the time but we have lots of soft grass. This combination lends it self to more slide-ins. When I worked Paso Robles, California, I would go weeks without ever sitting down a tandem. The winds were almost always stiff, steady and out of the same direction. A wide open, hard packed dirt and scrub landing area, tandem catchers that knew what they were doing and all the rigs and canopies were basically the same and in good condition. A formula more condusive to stand-ups.

Except for the odd training tandem jump, I haven't let a student help me flare since the last millenium.

Brett

PS Any claims to a stand-up percentage of better than 70% (under any conditions over a consistent and substantial period of time) are probably wishfull thinking
"It's only arrogance if you can't back it up"

Except for the odd training tandem jump, I haven't let a student help me flare since the last millenium.

Bingo! I'm a newbie, but I didn't let students help me flare. Typically, I don't need the help. I let this one guy help me flare this weekend. He started flaring at about 50 feet and with his adrenyline I was barely able to gt his arms back up. We slid in uneventful, but it made me resolve to go back to my old ways of taking full control at 1K

steveOrino