livendive

Students who grow up to be instructors

In the thread about why we like doing tandems, we covered the thrill involved in taking someone on their first jump and being the one person who gets to share in their *immediate* impressions. This got me thinking about the longer term benefits of regular instruction, and I figured there'd just have to something good to read in a thread on this topic.

Personally, I love seeing students who go on to become competent up-jumpers. Seeing a former student do things that I can't even do myself (i.e. decent freeflying) makes me feel really good about my contribution. Better yet though, is former students who one way or another decide that they just have to do for others what we did for them. I've got such a guy right now working as a coach, and he is incessantly asking for advice and just eager as can be to improve his instructing ability. One of my proudest moments was when a former student of mine went and got her tandem rating. She got through the course, the experienced passengers, and started taking real students...and after just a dozen or so, with no scares at all, concluded that she wasn't yet ready to do tandems. I know her parents had almost everything to do with her having such a mature attitude, but I like to think that I might have had at least a little something to do with her acknowledging when something to do with skydiving is outside of her comfort zone.

Similarly, when I got my AFF rating last year, my instructors from 10 years ago were there, beaming like the parents of a kid who just led his high school football team to a state championship. I know AFF is the standard in most of the US, but it's been slow making it to some of our little DZ's, and these guys were beside themselves. I think the man who taught my FJC waited all of a week before suggesting that since I now have all the I ratings, I should go for I/E's. :D

Anyhow, I just thought I'd start a thread on good students who stick with it and go on to become very good skydivers and/or instructors. So what's your story?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Which students am I proud of? Well...all of them! Couple of my prior students that come to mind in particular that have continued to do great things in the sport are Alli and Mel Richard (allisonjr and melstarr)...two of the founding sisters of the Pink Mafia. They have always made me very proud! ;)
Miami

You have former students that are still alive?;)
Wonders never cease.

This coming from the guy who took on Chris after the TUG speech, against my somewhat vigorous discouragement. :P

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I have past students who now have been my Instructor!

I have students who have gone on to earn every rating, compete or jump for world famous Demo teams.

It is a thrill to see folks you help to get started go so far in the sport you both love! Iam envious of all my students, they have the first jump excitement and wide eyed wonder that I hope to be able to recapture here real soon! (once I retire from the Army and just jump all week!):P

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I still look in ratings and things to see if I know someone who I trained whose getting a license/award/rating.

Every once in a while someone tells me/reminds me that I JM'd or taught them and it makes my day.

The only question i have is "Are you still having fun?"

I am.

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

You have former students that are still alive?;)
Wonders never cease.

This coming from the guy who took on Chris after the TUG speech, against my somewhat vigorous discouragement. :P

Blues,
Dave

What is the TUG speech?

I was kneeling down getting beer poured over my head along with Doc Linden, one of my own first jump students. (Texas SCR ceremony) :S

Rick Duran is another who made me proud. He must have about 8000 jumps; been on many world records, including the most recent in Thailand. :)
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

Several years ago I was making an AFF jump with a jumper from our dropzone who had just gotten his AFF rating. On the ride to altitude he asked me if I had ever worked with a J/M who I had taught to skydive and I said no. He then reminded me I had taught his FJC and been his firsy instructor. Truly a moment to remember...especialy since he was using something else I had taught him by getting me to admit to a first. I happily bought the beer and toasted my great fortune at being a small part of that! Great sport eh?

Rick Duran is another who made me proud. He must have about 8000 jumps; been on many world records, including the most recent in Thailand. :)

Rick is closer to 12,000 jumps! :)
He's a hell of an interesting guy. He takes pleasure in teaching us low timers and is the best I've met in the sport at Paying it Forward.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

[reply
Rick is closer to 12,000 jumps! :)
He's a hell of an interesting guy. He takes pleasure in teaching us low timers and is the best I've met in the sport at Paying it Forward.

Dam! I'm still trying to hit 4000. [:/] And yes, he's still enthusiastic about what he does and wants to share it. :)
Come to think of it, he was probably pouring the beer on me that night! :o
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

My greatest highlights in skydiving have been teaming with two former instructors (Tom Riddick and Tom Allen) and placing (several times!) in 4-way Intermediate Nationals. Then later, getting my AFF rating and looking over the back of our student at my former instructor. Wild.
Now I'm getting that same goofy look from my former students as we're holding onto an AFF 1. I've never felt prouder.

Carmen