AFFI

Is Skydive Instruction a “Discipline”?

After being asked what my favorite discipline in skydiving was I replied that it was Instruction. The respond was “I'm sorry... I have never heard of that (Instruction) as a discipline. It may be a type of jump but I don't agree that it is a discipline. Why don't you ask in the forums and see what others say.“

So the question is in the forums… Is Instruction a discipline?

dis•ci•pline [ d s -pl n ]
1. Training expected to produce a specific character or pattern of behavior, especially training that produces moral or mental improvement.
2. Controlled behavior resulting from disciplinary training; self-control.
3. a. Control obtained by enforcing compliance or order. b. A systematic method to obtain obedience: a military discipline. c. A state of order based on submission to rules and authority: a teacher who demanded discipline in the classroom.
4. Punishment intended to correct or train.
5. A set of rules or methods, as those regulating the practice of a church or monastic order.
6. A branch of knowledge or teaching.
tr.v. dis•ci•plined, dis•ci•plin•ing, dis•ci•plines
1. To train by instruction and practice, especially to teach self-control to.
2. To teach to obey rules or accept authority. See Synonyms at teach.
3. To punish in order to gain control or enforce obedience.
4. To impose order on: needed to discipline their study habits.
[Middle English, from Old French descepline, from Latin discipl na, from discipulus, pupil ; see disciple.]
dis ci•pli•nal [ -pl -n l ] adj.
dis ci•plin er n.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

You know, I've thought about this many times, because instruction is my favoraite skydiving "discipline".

I think in skydiving, "discipline" has been used because of skydiving's ties to competition, where the use of the expression "discipline" is more or less what people expect, e.g., FS, CFS, Accuray, etc.

If none of your skydiving is competition related, then perhaps the expression "discipline" is not applicable at all.

I guess the question should really be asked in such a way that "instruction" can be a "proper" answer.

Instructors do compete, only not against other skydivers but rather the competition is against the uneducated (apathy and mediocrity), the elements, the ground - judgment calls are extremely important. There is nothing more challenging/exciting than properly training, then releasing someone for the first time – anything can happen so you better be ready, lives are at stake…
The first release dive, it’s my favorite…
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

lives are at stake…
The first release dive, it’s my favorite…

What if you lose control over the situation?
(Yeah, I know - don't lose control...)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Instructors do compete, ... against .... the uneducated (apathy and mediocrity), the elements, the ground......

You know, I like that. (Especially when I think of how I am continually "competing" against the attitude of others not wishing to include much instruction in Tandem jumps, where I wish to include much.)

Let's start refering to ourselves as that type of competitor.

You're confusing the noun "discipline" and it's multiple meanings and the verb "discipline" and it's multiple meanings.

i.e. when you talk about a skydiving discipline (as in your dropzone.com profile) you're talking exclusively about definition 6:

6. A branch of knowledge or teaching.

When you talk about military discipline or to discipline someone you're using the word in a distinctly different way and it has a different meaning.

Mixing the two uses will only bring confusion.

Instructors do compete, only not against other skydivers but rather the competition is against the uneducated (apathy and mediocrity), the elements, the ground - judgment calls are extremely important.

I think thats being a little melodramatic. Thats like saying packing is a discipline as you have to compete against new ZP, fatigue, heat, and body aches.

MB 3528, RB 1182