Ron

Booties for Students (please read text first)

OK booties for students.

For the sake of argument, student will be anyone still under supervision such as still doing AFF or in the Static line program.

NOT under the coaching program yet...Still under Instructors.

As always there way be the few cases where a guy with tunnel, or just a natural comes along, but I am talking in GENERAL.

Edit please give a reason like SM1 did.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Generally? No, but I have encountered more than a couple of instances where putting a habitual backslider in a bootie suit un-fucked them immediately. The added "feel" in the lower extremities let them know what was going on back there. I won't hesitate to use a bootie suit as a tool on a case-by-case basis.

Chuck

In general, NO. With the lower half of the body having half the control surface but not being able to be checked with the eyes (primary sensory input) the only "check" being toe taps of heel clicks (old school), my answer is still NO (in general).

Tim T.
Team Paraclete
Skymonkey Swoop Team

No, we use a standard open leg suit for our students. For some stueents we may do a bunch of jumps working on getting those legs out for a back slider, but we usually have video on all our students so it is some thing they can see in the de-brief. We do have them do several jumps with a bootie suit once through the "A" license proficiency to introduce the mto the Suit and the benifits of the mechanical assistance of Booties.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Why I voted no:

I've had students go into very radical spins, had they had booties it would have been worse. For that reason my students will not wear booties.

Another reason, levels 6 and 7 include back and front flips. I can tell you from experience that flips are hard as hell with booties, so for that reason they should not wear booties during student time.

Once I clear them to self jumpmaster I talk to them about mantis and booties and how they can consider working with these two things (different body positions and a more powerful suit) during their solo jumps while working towards completing their A license.

Some people talk about flying body and a bunch of other stuff to keep early jumpers from using booties. But I disagree and after a jumper can show me they can control spins and return to their belly quickly reverting back to a stable boxman body position I see no reason to deny them a suit such that they can start learning a more advanced body position. Taught early on, you don't have to un teach them bad habits and body position learned early on from not having booties. I also feel it helps them do group freefall better as they have more control with their legs, and more power to compensate for reaching for grips.

Success in group formations keeps them from getting discouraged and going over to freeflying earlier than they should. Formation of small informal teams help that too.

Somewhat side tracked but in conclusion:
Students (as defined) no booties.
Immediately after graduation, YES to booties.

Jonathan
AFFI