ripcords

Student radios

I am curious what brands and models of radios dropzones are using on their students.

Are they receivers only, or transmitters also?

I am also curious about the mounting location of these radios.

Have you tried different things. If so, what worked best for your students?

Any input would be appreciated.

We also use the Motorolla talk-abouts, with the ear buds. They cannot talk back with the earbuds in but the radios are 2-way without them. This system has worked the best for us. We even mention to the students in the event of an off-DZ landing to pull out the earbud jack and let us know they are ok and where they are

Because It's The Cheese And I'm The Macaroni

Motorola one-way receivers mounted in chest strap pockets.

I've used some sort of one way setup, hung inside the jumpsuit with the volume on high. Sometimes not the easiest to hear clearly, though. With multiple students in the air it's very helpful for the radio guy to repeat the name at the end of a command as well as at the beginning.

Perris has a really nice setup with hanging earbuds going to two separate receivers. Easy to understand and redundency. But it was very entertaining the first time when I got elevator muzak from some source, with the instructor cutting in to give instructions. I thought it was intentional to let me know it was working, not just random transmissions being gotten.