mountainman

USPA Safety Day

What is the best way to find out about these USPA Safety Days? Are they going to be posted/announced on the USPA website or should you just try to find out from the dropzone?
Also, if anyone has been to one or helps put them on, what do you think about them? We are thinking/hoping to go to one, but I'm not sure if our DZ will have one. If so, we'll be there, but I just want some of your feedback on what you thought of it and if you recommend it. Also, what do they do?
Thanks!
JumpinDuo.com...come and sign the guestbook.

Ah, it's fun. They should have a suspended harness for you to practice cutaway drills, maybe some seminars on specific safety topics, some gear inspection, etc. And lots of beer, if they're smart. Beer is to safety day as doughnuts are to business meetings, hee hee.
Walk a mile in your enemy's shoes. Then you're a mile away and have his shoes.

There is only one 'official' USPA Safety Day - this year that's March 9th. Best way to find out if your DZ is having a Safety Day this year is to call and ask. You jump at Richmond right? My guess is that they'll have one - if you've never been it's certainly worth attending, they'll most likely go over gear safety (checks and maintenance), airplane safety, malfunctions, basic canopy flight (rules of the DZ, landing patterns, etc...). It's worth your time, you should go.
-
Jim

Cajole, ask, suggest, nag your DZO.
Another angle is to remind your local rigger that it will result in more business.
CSPA's annual safety day is April 6. That day I plan to give a "Know your gear" seminar at Pitt Meadows. Anyone who dumps their reserve in front of the class - while I am spinning them around and screaming at them - gets a discount on their repack.
We are trying to get one of the other instructors to run people through the suspended harness - while spinning them around and screaming at them.
We will also try to get another instructor to give short talk on spotting. Spotting is a really simple process at Pitt Meadows, but you would be amazed at how often people F' it up.
In the evening we will pour beer into people, sit them in an office chair, spin them around and scream at them until they puke!

Thanks for all the info! I will be sure to ask the DZO if they are having it on the 9th. I would really like to go and get all of that valuable information if I can. Also, we'll be in need of a repack right after our Florida trip (worked out perfectly). So, we'll see what happens! Thanks again.
And Rob, you guys get into your spinning up there, EH? Sounds like initiation more than training. Is the spinning and yelling to pull reserve just to "simulate" the chaos in the brain during a mal? Thanks.
JumpinDuo.com...come and sign the guestbook.

They should have a suspended harness for you to practice cutaway drills

Just curious, does this mean that in the US you don't have to do a periodic harness-test to be allowed to jump at all? In The Netherlands you have to do a harness 'test' every three months, at least until you have a C-license...
:)Ramon :)