propblast

Looking for information:Sparrow Canopy

I was given a interesting canopy today and I am looking for any info on it. The owner here hadn't had it long and knew nothing about it. The canopy is a sparrow, ( it looks very similar to my MK 1 PC) mounted on three ring risers. My copy of Poynter VII says Whildin Canopies may have manufactured it. The interesting thing is the canopy doesn't use a sleeve(which I am familiar with) or a POD but rather a dbag. This bag has what I believe is a #8 grommet that the crown lines pass through and then a series of stows around the grommet to stow the crown lines outside of the bag. The crown lines have a short bridle and a throw out pilot chute attached.

Anyone ever see one of these before or jump it. I'll try to get pics up later.

A Sparrow could be packed in any of sleeve, Dbag or bag, just as could any of hte other PC-class canopies. I don't remember anything particularly distinctive about it (I had a Starlite), it was just another attempt to do PC, preferably with a little bit more emphasis on RW vs. accuracy (the PC was originally an accuracy canopy).

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hi Blast,
"Sparrow" RW/PC spinoff by Sandieggo rigger don whilldin back in the early thru late 70's. roger worthington(Corranado Bridge Base Jump #1) and ed locknut still have one in their gear bag!! Showup at scare-us-valley when Airtrash is in force and maybe they will let you see one up close!! Play on Sweet Gypsy's, Play On!!!!!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hey Sky Bill,

The OP (propblast) asked me if I knew anything about it.... threw me for a loop, never heard of it.... now I know why...LOL Seem this chappy has scored one of his own in a sleeve or something or other....

Me thinks we need to see some photos!

Oh yea... me thinks you might lose some of the kiddies in translation...

Showup at scare-us-valley when Airtrash is in force and maybe they will let you see one up close!! Play on Sweet Gypsy's, Play On!!!!!!!

Propblast, now you know why I told to you post it here, some old fart (said with all due respect & well wishes SkyBill:)) is bound to know the answer... :D
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

The plot thickens. I can't find a manufactures stamp on this chute...granted my house is dark and I might just be missing it but it doesn't stand out, if that's the case.

Still trying to get photos ( its still raining here) the material is crisp but one panel has a few line burn holes I'd like to get patched.

Canopy is orange blue and white. I hate orange and even I think it looks nice.
Propblast

Hey Sky Bill,

The OP (propblast) asked me if I knew anything about it.... threw me for a loop, never heard of it.... now I know why...LOL Seem this chappy has scored one of his own in a sleeve or something or other....

Me thinks we need to see some photos!

Oh yea... me thinks you might lose some of the kiddies in translation...

Showup at scare-us-valley when Airtrash is in force and maybe they will let you see one up close!! Play on Sweet Gypsy's, Play On!!!!!!!

Propblast, now you know why I told to you post it here, some old fart (said with all due respect & well wishes SkyBill:)) is bound to know the answer... :D

Hi Strat,

"Scare -us-valley aka "Perris Valley" easy enough but what the whatever. kinda goes back when we were fearless and facietious (hope I spelled that right)
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I have seen one and jumped them as well. When I was 17 back in 1982 I started jumping ... by fall of 1983 when I went to college I couldn't afford it anymore. In any event, working as a bus boy I couldn't afford nice gear, so I bought a used "piglet" harness/container with a 24' sparrow parachute for $300. Later I picked up a second used piglet/sparrow combo as a second rig. Spaceland / Golden Greek Airlines area near Houston, in case that is useful to you.

I used to land it standing up most of the time by a forceful of risers at just the right moment, probably didn't do my back and neck any favors. Landed right on a little bean bag once in an accuracy contest.

Unfortunately, no photos, just a minor blur of memory. Anyway, if you ever jump one again and can get someone to snap a photo of the canopy in the air, post it here or PM me!

Thanks

Sparrow was a very nice little canopy that was built in two sizes, 21 ft and 19 ft. They were made by Don Whillden Parachutes, of El Cajon, CA. I jumped a 21 ft. Sparrow for most of 1978 before I went square. Bought it used from a guy named Bob Elliot in MA for $225 to go with my brand new Hanbury system. Also packed it in a d-bag just like the one you describe and which is pictured, stowing the crown lines on top to the bag. It was made of some really thin light ripstop material and was probably the smallest packing, lightest canopy I ever owned. Opened quick but soft and I'd throw out the p/c at 2 grand with complete confidence. The landings weren't quite as soft as a Paracommander though, it was a smaller canopy. But a good hard flare with the rear risers would usually be sufficient and I was comfortable jumping it in sneakers. Of course I only weighed about 160 lbs in those days.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

tbrown

Sparrow was a very nice little canopy that was built in two sizes, 21 ft and 19 ft. They were made by Don Whillden Parachutes, of El Cajon, CA. I jumped a 21 ft. Sparrow for most of 1978 before I went square. Bought it used from a guy named Bob Elliot in MA for $225 to go with my brand new Hanbury system. Also packed it in a d-bag just like the one you describe and which is pictured, stowing the crown lines on top to the bag. It was made of some really thin light ripstop material and was probably the smallest packing, lightest canopy I ever owned. Opened quick but soft and I'd throw out the p/c at 2 grand with complete confidence. The landings weren't quite as soft as a Paracommander though, it was a smaller canopy. But a good hard flare with the rear risers would usually be sufficient and I was comfortable jumping it in sneakers. Of course I only weighed about 160 lbs in those days.

Tbrown. So I bought this canopy from my buddy. Any info or step by step to pack it would be appreciated.
Propblast

Packing a Para Commander isn't complicated, but should be done right. Tension while flaking, lines to inside, etc., but the stowange is where there are variations. What to do with the crown lines, etc..

If you are really going to jump it, consider that a common modification is shortlining. See if yours is already shortlined. I didn't do that with mine, but it was done a lot.

Also, when the Paracommanders were made, the (can't remember the term - "hold down" webbing? =the two 1000 lb tubular webbings that hold the apex down); those webbing ends were just put onto the rear riser L bars, which of course slanted the hold down webbings to the rear risers. The common mod there was to put V rings inside the riser confluence wraps at the Capewell ends (right above your shoulders) and attatch a short extension to the "hold down" tubular webbing ends and attach to the V rings. This took them off the rear L bars entirely. Everyone did this. That left the canopy lines on the L bars and nothing else. Freed up the rear risers from the webbing and the center of the pulled down part was aligned to the center of the riser connection (your shouldrs) and centered to the canopy 'hold down'.
If you are going to jump it I would recommend this.

andrewhilton

Here's some pics of a Sparrow in a dbag that was on ebay just before Christmas

Hi Andrew

Interesting Pics:)
Can anyone identify the different kind of lines that were used on the canopy. The crown lines and centerline look the same but what was the material used to replace the 55O cord.?

I assume it was used to save weight and volume.
One Jump Wonder

Krip

***Here's some pics of a Sparrow in a dbag that was on ebay just before Christmas

Hi Andrew

Interesting Pics:)
Can anyone identify the different kind of lines that were used on the canopy. The crown lines and centerline look the same but what was the material used to replace the 55O cord.?

I assume it was used to save weight and volume.

I own the canopy and will get you an answer. I actually have it with a friend of mine who is a rigger.
Propblast