Divalent

Steering a round?

I made 10 jumps back in the '70s under a round parachute, and I'm trying to recall if the toogles worked the same back then as they do now (i.e., pull right to go right) or if it was the other way around. My fuzzy recollection was that pulling on the right toggle deformed the hole in the back right side to make it bigger, and so it would expel more air, so you would go left. But I may be mistaken (maybe it made the hole smaller). Can anyone remind me of how they operated? Thanks.

Hi deviant,
Like the lady said!! The rig would work like you envisioned "IF" you hooked up the toggle lines to the "Inboard" instread of the "Outboard" suspension line of the cut out gore!! I'm sure some turkey somewhere did that!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Thanks, Lisa and Bill. I *think* that answers my Q. However ...

... The rig would work like you envisioned "IF" you hooked up the toggle lines to the "Inboard" instread of the "Outboard" suspension line of the cut out gore!! I'm sure some turkey somewhere did that!!

... maybe I should describe the DZ operation. :o

It depended what round you were talking about. Arag or T-10 with a hot shit 7-TU right toggle distorted the size of the opening, allowing more air to go through the left side. A PC had an inverted apex and actual steering flaps, still same principal. A Mark 1 had a drive hole in the back, Mark2 no drive hole until hook knife time. Mark 3 and competition PC's had a big drive hole and bigger flaps. With those and UT-15's people still used the for accuracy long after Clouds came out. Only the Foil was used for stomping the disc .