FlailingJohn

red devils and golden knights circa 1965

Being a Golden Knight has got to be the best job in the Army. I always looked up to them.

I still remember a Golden Knight landing his P.C. in front of our bleachers on our first day of jump school, at Benning. That was in the spring of 1971.

That H-34 helicopter brought back a lot of memories too. I had a lot of static line jumps out of one....

That black tandem master, in the second video, looked familiar. Wasn't he at Lost Prairie about five years back....

Ouch! ........ Ouch! ........... Ouch!

You guys used to land that hard routinely ???

On some of those landings I would have been on the phone dialing 9 ..... 1 ............ "Did he get up?"
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

No very many Plf's in that video,

It amazing to me as well seeing some of those landings with out PLF's wondering if there was any TBL's or two broken legs.

"sailors of the sky floating down effortlessly to the earth and right on target"

I grew up in the 80's -90's as a military brat and been to allot of airshows as a kid. My favorite thing was watching the diamond track or trying to spot the knights before they were under canopy.
I threw my confidence out the airplane door years ago.........

Hello Steve,

Looks to me to be normal landings for back then and even for today if you are going down wind. Most of the hard PLF landings in the video were controlled crashes going down wind for the the 10cm target. And most of the soft landings were into the wind.

I can remember going down wind for the target at a Stilwell meet on a Delta II. Now, that was a dumb ass controlled crash. I was 180 lbs then. Now I am 230 lbs and I would not like to go down wind with my new rig unless I was running away from a bad spot.

Remember kids on landing it's "eyes together, feet on the horizon". Or something along those lines...

SCR-216

I was never brave enough to shoot accuracy down wind. I do remember making some wild turns and missing the peas completely, crashing and burning.... Accuracy just wasn't any fun. I decided I wasn't tough enough for that game....So, I went back to RW. The golden knights made accuracy look easy....

On some of those landings I would have been on the phone dialing 9 ..... 1 ............ "Did he get up?"

I got news for ya.

Back in those days we didn't have 911.

You used to dial "0" for the operator.

:o

I got news for ya.

Back in those days we didn't have 911.

You used to dial "0" for the operator.

:o

on a rotary!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hello Jerry,
The only thing that has changed is, those guys are now
really, really, really old guys, and we are only old.

These days, even if I see a hard landing on film it takes me two weeks to recover.

My thanks goes out to the many engineers and jumping friends that put in the time and blood to bring us the modern gear we have today. But all their hard work in the past can be wasted if we don't take the time to learn how the hell to use it properly.
Man, now that sounds like an Old Fart talking doesn't it!!!