SansSuit

Greene County, Georgia

Hiya-

I'm doing some fact-checking for an article I'm writing. Just double-checking that there was a dropzone in Georgia called Greene County. Searches turn up a Greene County, Ohio, but I haven't found anything about Georgia. This would have been in the mid-70's.

Thanks!
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Hiya-

I'm doing some fact-checking for an article I'm writing. Just double-checking that there was a dropzone in Georgia called Greene County. Searches turn up a Greene County, Ohio, but I haven't found anything about Georgia. This would have been in the mid-70's.

Thanks!

I seem to remember a few DZ's affliated with the DZ in Xenia OH back in the 70's. There was Bardstown in KY, there was one in Lousiana near Narlins and there was one near Atlanta. We went to the one in Narlins one year during Mardi Gras... and we made a few trips down to Bardstown.

Best to PM Greene here on Dizzy Dot Com and ask them.

There was a Greene County DZ in Jenkinsburg, GA in the 70's...

That's the one. Cowboy's Caravan went in there and took a lot of good good people.

jon

Jenkinsburg is in Butts county, Georgia. Cowboy's Caravan went down at West Wind SPC.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

That's the one. Cowboy's Caravan went in there and took a lot of good good people.

jon

Jenkinsburg is in Butts county, Georgia. Cowboy's Caravan went down at West Wind SPC.

How many of your friends did you lose that day?
The name of that DZ changed a number of times as their afiliations changed. GCSPC, WestWind, Locust Grove, Jenkinsburg...

jon

The name of that DZ changed a number of times as their afiliations changed. GCSPC, WestWind, Locust Grove, Jenkinsburg...

Way too many.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

It's hard to say. I had seen or met some of the sixteen skydivers. Only Jeff, Mark and Ann could I say I remember.

I made my first jump at WWSPC on Sept. 22. I was turned away on the 29th. [:/]

I continued jumping at the DZ. After Teresa sold to Billy, I was there until he closed.

So maybe none of them were friends, but I was astonished and bereaved nonetheless.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

The Greene County Atlanta Dropzone came to Georgia via Paul Fayard. He set up his first Greene County Atlanta Dropzone at Kelly's Field off Interstate 75 at the McDonough Exit. The Dropzone was located about 2 miles off the exit. The runway was about 2K feet. We started with one Green 180 and eventually had 3 180's. ( when we weren't crashing them in bad weather on the short runway). I made about 500 jumps at that DZ. The problem with that DZ is we were within the TCA and couldn't get about 7K feet( yeah right). It was at this DZ we were trying to get Georgia's first SCR(8way) from two 180's. Took us awhile but we finally got a 9way on July 4, 1972.
Paul moved the DZ to Locust Grove, GA. That's what we called it. It was actually near a town called Jenkinsburg. It was still owned by Greene County, OH. and Jim West. It was at this DZ that Paul put together the 1973 4way National Championship team and then they would go on to win the first World Cup Championship of 4way at Ft. Bragg.N.C. Paul would eventually split from Greene County, OH and start Lewisburg later in 1974(?) I think. I moved to Humbolt, TN to work for Rocky Walker and Al Hawthorne at Aero Sports, Tn...I think Paul sold the Jenkinsburg, GA (Greene County Atlanta DZ to Jeff Saunders and he renamed it West Wind. Best I can remember.
Steve Chalfant D-4969/SCS-397

The Greene County Dropzone came to Georgia via Jim West, first at McDonough, Ga then to Jenkinsburg,
Ga. Paul Fayard was our manager for many years until he decided to start his own DZ in NC.

The management of the DZ then went to Bob Vonderau, Joe Gebhardt and George Loudakis who did an excellent job as did Paul Fayard.

The DZ was then sold by us to Ralph Hartman. In turn he sold it to Jeff Sanders, then Billy Rhodes.

We are now Skydive Greene County in Xenia, Ohio aka as Greene County Sport Parachute Center. started in 1961 :)
Jim West