davjohns

First Tandem

Last year, I returned home from Wallaby Ranch in Orlando. I had spent some time with a guy named Mike Barber. Mike is a world renowned hang glider pilot who coaches at Wallaby. He has the unofficial world record for longest flight (a little over 400 miles, I think).

When I got home, I was re-reading my Parachutist's Handbook in the history section. There, it mentioned that a guy named Mike Barber and a friend made the first tandem jump in Florida. Mike had mentioned that he was once into skydiving while we were having breakfast one morning. The next day, I wrote the owner of Wallaby an email to confirm this was not a quirk. Sure enough. It is the same guy.

So, a pioneer in skydiving is still alive, well and a pioneer in another air sport as well. Thought someone might find that interesting.

Great guy, by the way. Excellent mentor.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Kirk and his mother Dana Handbury are still around here in SoCal. She got recurrent about 2 years ago just after Kirk got a service dog from the organization (Canine Companions for Independence)my wife and I are involved with. We haven't seen her recently but if you do a search on this forum there is lot of information on the jump and the people involved.

Mike was one of the first 5 employees of the fledgling Relative Workshop. Mike could build anything. I remember that he built his own container AND main parachute from scratch. Kirk and Mike together weighed the same as me, so we modified my Wonderhog (with a Strato Cloud in it), made a passenger harness for Kirk, and Mike put "the Kid" (for then on known as "Sky Kirk") in an 11 way star for his eleventh birthday. Bob Favreau also took his son Robbie up on the same DC-3 load for the second "modern" tandem jump. I think it was 1977.

Mike can still build anything he cares to. Lots of the hang glider crowd have him build custom aluminum racks on their vehicles to carry their gliders. He welds aluminum better than any I've ever seen.

He mentors hang glider pilots and is considered about the best there is. Really nice guy to have breakfast with as well.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Can't remember who sent me this, but a snap of Gencarrelle coaching Beanpole with Dana on his shoulders and my girlfriend Sara on top. Probably not the same year but not far from where Mike's landing his Stratostar at Z'hills.
Hoop

Jim,
That's not Dana. That girl's name is (I think) Cheryl (sp). I'm having a "senior moment" and can't recall her name. She was on "Snoots Are For Toots" and a real good skydiver. She married a guy from Ala., maybe one of the "Alabama Boys", who was a militaty pilot, maybe Army helicoters. She became a nurse. That memory must have been in some of those brain cells that were lost back in the daze.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?