LongWayToFall

So I have been talking to a few old timers.....

*starts searching for groovy football helmet*

No, no, no. Football helmets were out by the mid-60s. Very uncool. You want to be be looking for a Bell 500TX motorcycle helmet.

Maybe try for a Bell Super Magnum like I used to wear...

what ya wanted was the old style, multi piece hockey helmet with all the air passages... the legs of a rubber chicken, dangling jauntily out the holes on top made a dashing fashion statement, but did leave your credibilty in question when arguing he spot with some 'visitor' to the drop zone...

*starts searching for groovy football helmet*

No, no, no. Football helmets were out by the mid-60s. Very uncool. You want to be be looking for a Bell 500TX motorcycle helmet.

Maybe try for a Bell Super Magnum like I used to wear...

what ya wanted was the old style, multi piece hockey helmet with all the air passages... the legs of a rubber chicken, dangling jauntily out the holes on top made a dashing fashion statement, but did leave your credibilty in question when arguing he spot with some 'visitor' to the drop zone...

:o THAT WAS YOU?! :ph34r:B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

:o THAT WAS YOU?! :ph34r:B|

yuh that were me... there was an old rubber chicken hanging around the loft for months ....one night Mitch Decoteau and some other miscreants stuffed it in my hockey helmet with the legs up thru the holes at the top sides.....

next day I saw it, put it on, and it fit !!!

me and that chicken made about 200 jumps together before he decomposed... its head was out the front and would blow up in freefall... then on tracking away I'd feel this peck, peck, peck on my goggles ... that chicken was a chicken shit .. always squawking about pull time ..

> I am somewhat puzzled by the horror stories associated with jumping rounds.

You have to allow for the jump story effect.

I made about 1,800 jumps on rounds and
most of them were stand ups, but I wouldn't
admit that in public.

You can't let facts get in the way of a good
jump story.

Skr

Nothing wrong with a round chute, but if you really can't hack the landing, use more than one.... I mean, it works with rockets, right?

Hi Skratch.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

.............is it worth it to jump some old ass gear and risk busted ankles, ........

navy cony 26' .. hard back risers, like jumping off a kitchen chair
26 ' Lopo, hard back risers, like jumping off a THIN book ...

.... out landings....

in he days of GPS it;s hard to argue that one ....

.....hard openings....

Navy Cony 26', out of a bag, any pigrig the bag will fit in ... softest openings you will EVER have, plus from pilot chute throw to under canopy is only about 1.5 seconds .... can't beat it
26 ' Lopo ... tiny bit stiffer ... a tiny bit more than nothing is .... nothing

........... the time to train for a front mount.......

use a pigrig

.... all the while taking a hit in the I.Q. department from the regulars?

who cares what a bunch of doofi think ??

In nautical terms ... round jumpers like sailboats,
everyone else wants a Cigarette boat

Sail on !!!!!

My first cutaway had me landing under a Navy 26 Conical and it was a sweet ride indeed. Never did understand why my 28 ft C9 always gave me bone cruncher landings and the smaller Coni was so gentle. After that reserve ride I was considering getting a 26 Coni as a main but was dissuaded by the local sky gods. They said there was a reason few Navy Conis were jumped as mains, but didnt really explain what the reason was.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

...... After that reserve ride I was considering getting a 26 Coni as a main but was dissuaded by the local sky gods. They said there was a reason few Navy Conis were jumped as mains, but didnt really explain what the reason was.

been there.... I was the only round on the first 64 at Perris and people were still trying to talk me into changing ...... I just told them they were nuts not to jump what I was using....

the only person whoever used my rig was Mitch Decoteau in Z-hills (where they also kept trying to convince me to upgrade and I would just tell them I liked 1.5 seconds from pull and NO pain; but they wouldn't listen)
Mitch landed and looked at me and said "I had to look up to make sure it was open because I didn't really feel anything .... duh, like I hadn't said that over and over...

Mitch stood it up, by the way, right in front of the old Z-hills shack ... very softly

What's the big deal???? I never broke any bones with 250+ landings under a 28'. Of course I only weighed 120 lbs at the time. You also become really adept at spotting or you wind up getting a lot of long walks in the country.;) It wasn't until I got a Starlite that I began breaking stuff.:S

Marc SCR 6046 SCS 3004

What's the big deal???? I never broke any bones with 250+ landings under a 28'. Of course I only weighed 120 lbs at the time. You also become really adept at spotting or you wind up getting a lot of long walks in the country.;) It wasn't until I got a Starlite that I began breaking stuff.:S

...and with a Starlite you didn't have to wait for landing to break stuff, you could break stuff at opening too.

My first cutaway had me landing under a Navy 26 Conical and it was a sweet ride indeed. Never did understand why my 28 ft C9 always gave me bone cruncher landings and the smaller Coni was so gentle. After that reserve ride I was considering getting a 26 Coni as a main but was dissuaded by the local sky gods. They said there was a reason few Navy Conis were jumped as mains, but didnt really explain what the reason was.

That C-9 probably had high porocity from being jumped all the time, the Navy conical was practically new. Almost all of my reserve rides were on a conical and standups to boot. 1 ride on an old 24 Twill and 1 on a T-10A, both bone crunchers. I have one ride on a 26 Phantom after I went to squares and that was when I got a square reserve. It just seemed faster than I remembered.
I made something over 2500 jumps on rounds and lots of sprained ankles and 1 dislocated shoulder jumping in way too much wind, but not one broken bone. Take into account lots of down wind accuracy, which is where most of the sprains came from, reaching for that disc.

GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

.....jumping in way too much wind, but not one broken bone. ...

I will unoffically claim the highest wind landing (for sport) under a rag.
about 80-81 in Perris and we did a 4 way and a micro-burst moved in under us... 2 26' cony mains on the 4 way (Ron the stinkin dutchmen was the other).. the winds down to about 1K were light, then look out ...
the wind meter in the Perris officed that registered 40 Kts was PEGGED ...
landing was feet, head, feet, head, cutaway ... no injuries...
Randy Berry (on a square) said he turned to cross the wires along the road to the north and before he could turn around again, he had crossed the next field and next set of wires at the next road north ... said he couldn't believe the downwind speed (and these were old squares)

they had 14 people standing on the runway facing the 182 as it landed (about 50 ft in front of them and an instant stop) because they had to put 7 on each wing and walk it into the tiedowns..

BSBD

.....jumping in way too much wind, but not one broken bone. ...

I will unoffically claim the highest wind landing (for sport) under a rag.
about 80-81 in Perris and we did a 4 way and a micro-burst moved in under us... 2 26' cony mains on the 4 way (Ron the stinkin dutchmen was the other).. the winds down to about 1K were light, then look out ...
the wind meter in the Perris officed that registered 40 Kts was PEGGED ...
landing was feet, head, feet, head, cutaway ... no injuries...
Randy Berry (on a square) said he turned to cross the wires along the road to the north and before he could turn around again, he had crossed the next field and next set of wires at the next road north ... said he couldn't believe the downwind speed (and these were old squares)

they had 14 people standing on the runway facing the 182 as it landed (about 50 ft in front of them and an instant stop) because they had to put 7 on each wing and walk it into the tiedowns..

BSBD

First liar doesn't stand a chance;)
I saw 3 jumpers get caught in a gust front back in 69 IIRC. The first 2 got on the ground just before it hit. The 3rd was Jim West and he got blown down the road quite a ways. One of the guys jumped in a van and took off after him because he knew it was going to be bad. When Jim turned down wind to clear the road and power lines he passed the van up and it was doing 55mph. He was knocked silly when he hit the ground and was drug probably a quarter mile before he got caught in a downed tree which stopped him long enough to get to him. Nothing was broke but he was hurting pretty bad and didn't jump for a couple weeks. What we didn't know at the time was a tornado was tearing hell out of Cincinnati just down the road. It was one of those "we can get one more load in deals".
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!