tonybrogdon

Front Mounted Reserves

It's interesting to read the different things we all did in this sport. There is a lot to appreciate if someone is interested. The military had a large impact in the civilian development of the sport in the early days. Makes sense.
I remember seeing some kind of folding, umbrella looking pilot chute in a front mounted reserve. What was that all about?

I remember seeing some kind of folding, umbrella looking pilot chute in a front mounted reserve. What was that all about?

A photo I took of an A-1 spider type pilot chute is attached. The big spring mechanism that attaches to 4 arms goes inside the pilot chute, so it is inside out in the photo. This one was built in '59.

It's an early design... reading Poynter's I see that the classic MA-1 vane pilot chute was preceded by the A-3, which in turn was preceded by the A-1, the early ones of which were made of silk.

The military had a large impact in the civilian development of the sport in the early days.

For an interesting read on this, a new book documents the role of the Air Force in parachute technology, a lot of stuff that later shows up in sport gear. "The Art of Drag" by Andrew S. Kididis is available from Para-Gear or Skydiving Book Service or pm me for info.

Probably if very early an A1 umbrella, or the later spring-loaded version.

HW

The army used those for a while. At least Special Forces did on static line jumps. You were trained to hand deploy your reserve even though there was that screwy looking pilot chute in it (on a low speed malfunction). I assume it's no longer in service. It had four arms on it, kind of like an umbrella....

I can remember going down to the military surplus store and looking for MA-1s, cheap B|

Ran across the spiders, too. I can remember we'd take the metal out of the material and we'd throw the thing at telephone poles and they'd stick pretty well.

We never thought about using them ourselves.

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

Now two of my granddaughters are scheduled the 28th at Perris with Jim Wallace for tandems. One's father ,my youngest son, is retired Navy Chief and made a tandem before they used drouge chutes and was only 16 at the time. His older brother made 200 jumps of which I was on 100 of them with him. Third generation will fortunately not have to use front mounted reserves.
Tony Brogdon
D-12855