KATO33

Line Dump

Line dump is when your lines come off the bag in the wrong order or all at once, causing a much larger opening shock. It can be cured by correct stowing of your lines, using the right size bungies etc.
When you participate in sporting events, its not whether you win or loose, its how drunk you get.

Best thing to do is to get a rigger, exerienced jumper to show you everything about packing, and how each variable will affect openings etc. The more you know about your kit, the better.
When you participate in sporting events, its not whether you win or loose, its how drunk you get.

Line dump occurrs when your rubber bands are too loose.
When the pilotchute lifts the d-bag and canopy out of the container, the lines dump into the container in a horrible "spaghetti mess."
This might lead to line knots, but far worse are the hard openings that occur because the canopy is already partially inflated before it reaches line stretch.
Finally, your slider will be somewhere between the slider stops and the risers, but no-one can predict accurately whether the slider will contribute any reefing force.
The simplest way to prevent line dump is to keep your rubber bands tight around youir lines and leave a bight of line - about the same length as your little finger - hanging outboard of the rubber bands.

Rigger Rob,
On both my rigs I have been using two larger rubber bands for the first two locking stows. They are the bigger tandem type. The idea behind it is to prevent line dump. I'm just wondering if this could cause a bag lock. The guy I bought my first rig from, made over a thousand jumps on this rig, using this method without a problem. I'm just wondering if this is a good idea, because no one else I know packs this way. Thanks for all your help. Steve

I'd much rather risk a bag lock than line dump. Someone once commented on the length of my line stows and he thought they were too long (about 2.5 to 3" long loop), and that was my response.
Bag lock = clean cutaway and reserve
Line dump = (possibly) severe trauma and unconsciousness.
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

A terminal reserve ride is no walk inn the park either. I know of two back injuries from terminal reserve deployments. As long as the last two locking stows are tight enough to keep the D-bag shut until line stretch, line dump shouldn't be an issue.
i've deployed a Stiletto 97 at terminal (or a little faster, high altitude, on my back) using a reserve style D-bag with the lines stowed in a pouch and the last two stows in a bungee locking stow w/ soft openings. It just took less time for the canopy to come out of the bag.
Hook

2.5 to 3 inches is pretty much what is recommended by manufacturers... and that happens to be close to the "little finger" reference Rob mentioned... remember, we're talking about real inches, not "yeah baby its 8 inches" inches....
Remster
Muff 914

PD recommend..
"To check your stows on the ground, it should take between 8 and 12 pounds of force to unstow the lines when pulling the bag across a smooth surface by the bridle. A larger canopy will require a a larger force as will a canopy deployed at higher speeds...."
My copy and paste 0.02cents worth