ifell

Pretty close to being the first

At 4:50 there is a very low pull with a sub 10 second parachute ride. Watch him open and then count until his chute deflates.

Also, the pilot chute and sleeve/bag seperate at line stretch.

There's also a 3 parachute ride by one guy in there. Probably not the first, but it's the earliest film I've seen of a cutaway(s).

It's now in my collection.

At 4:50 there is a very low pull with a sub 10 second parachute ride. Watch him open and then count until his chute deflates.

Also, the pilot chute and sleeve/bag seperate at line stretch.

There's also a 3 parachute ride by one guy in there. Probably not the first, but it's the earliest film I've seen of a cutaway(s).

It's now in my collection.

Sleeves were not routinely attached to the canopies until the very late '50's. Until then they would just fly off at opening. The US team coaches of that era got tired of retrieving them and just started tying them to the apex.

Sleeves were not routinely attached to the canopies until the very late '50's. Until then they would just fly off at opening. The US team coaches of that era got tired of retrieving them and just started tying them to the apex.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I wasn't too surprised based on the year. When I saw them seperate my first thought was "I wonder who finally got around to tying them off."

Lew Sanborn and Jacques-André Istel hold the U.S.patent on the attached sleeve (see first page of patent.)
Their claim notes:
"The most important disadvantage of the prior art sleeve was its separability from the parachute. After the canopy inflated, the sleeve was carried away from the jumper by the pilot parachute. In sport jumping, this is undesirable because of the difficulty in locating the sleeve after the jump and the expense incurred in replacing lost sleeves. For military purposes, the separability of sleeve and parachute is an even more serious problem. A lost sleeve can inform the enemy that a parachutist has been landed in their territory."
The patent was filed in 1957, one of the early "products" of their then-new company, Parachutes, Inc.
HW