ParaShoot

Vintage Weekend at Teuge The Netherlands

I've announced this event (Ocotber 11 & 12) in the Calendar section but I can't post the flyer there so I'll add it here.

A weekend long jumping with classic equipment. We'll make a journey through history from non-steerable rounds to the first generation square parachutes. Bring your own equipment (we've riggers on site for inspection and if it's temporarily airworthy) or come and jump special equipment form our collection.

VERY cool! Would love to come and watch. Non steerablle rounds?? You Dutch skydivers are TOUGH! Ya gonna jump em unsleeved and open at terminal? Hope not. Having survived a lot of surplus round jumps it baffles me why anyone would want to recreate that misery. Well actually, only the openings and landings were bad. The ride was quiet and calm. I miss those peaceful descents.

Hey Beatnik. You hitch hiking to Holland?
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Hey Beatnik. You hitch hiking to Holland?

I wish I could make it there. Unfortunately, I had to turn down the invite. My work schedule isn't going to allow much traveling this year that they haven't scheduled for. Plus, I don't even want to think about the costs for shipping some of the gear would be.

I really wish I could be there. Maybe next year, if it is going to happen then.

I've announced this event (Ocotber 11 & 12) in the Calendar section but I can't post the flyer there so I'll add it here.

A weekend long jumping with classic equipment. We'll make a journey through history from non-steerable rounds to the first generation square parachutes. Bring your own equipment (we've riggers on site for inspection and if it's temporarily airworthy) or come and jump special equipment form our collection.

Please post lots of pics. This maybe the last time some of old farts get to see the "Classic gear" in use.:)
R.I.P.

Please post lots of pics. This maybe the last time some of old farts get to see the "Classic gear" in use.:)
R.I.P.

The reason a lot of the old farts are still in the sport is that they got one last look/jump with the stone age gear and moved on to more modern stuff before the old took too great a toll on their bodies. The last thing an old fart wants to see is the inside of an ambulance and the orthopedic ward. You kids with spring steel for legs can make the videos and post them on You Tube...

jon

The weekend was perfect. Great weather, especially for round canopies; 20°C and 1-4 m/s wind.

I estimate about 50 - 60 vintage jumps were made with mainly PC type canopies like Papillon, Sierra, Thunderbow, Olympic, UT-15 and all kind of Pioneer PC's (including Russian models). But also the jumps with the Pioneer Hornet (first generation "ramair square") and the only two existing Slots canopies were special.

On Sunday afternoon we did some CF. Coming months we'll be working on PC-CF. Big stacks and at least a 4 way diamond. PC-CF will be part of the program of the Vintage Weekend 2009 (probably the same weekend in October).

I would like to thank all participants (jumpers and reunion visitors) for this awesome weekend.

C ya next year,

Henny

On Sunday afternoon we did some CF. Coming months we'll be working on PC-CF. Big stacks and at least a 4 way diamond.

I'm envious!

What's the chance of having decent weather for old canopies at Teuge in October -- especially winds? You've got a great event but I'm curious how the weather is likely to be over the years.

Perhaps like some DZ's it is easier to schedule an event slightly outside the main season so that experienced jumpers and airplanes aren't all busy with tandems and other instruction?

Although in general the weather wasn't very good this season we've been very lucky with the weather during events at Teuge this year.

Dutch Nationals
Lake Bussloo Swoop
World Championships Canopy Formation
European Record CF
Vintage Weekend

All these events had exceptional good weather.

We especially scheduled the vintage weekend in the beginning of October because it's about the end of the season here and the weather is normally still good enough for round canopies (no or moderate winds).

Maybe next year we can schedule it a little earlier (end of September) but we'll also plan the EuRec CF again in September. Anyway, we'll think about it.

Henny

COOL! B|

Post more pics! :)

I still have a bunch of photos to go through, haven't had time yet but with our airport suddenly closed until #$%^ november I suddenly have more time than anticipated :SB|

There's also a little bit of video, don't have all of it yet but a skydiver filmed one of the Slots in flight, those things are sca-ry :$ The photos don't do them justice. Not often do you see skydivers bowing to another skydiver :ph34r:

ciel bleu,
Saskia

what canopy was the 4th from the last to land? it almost looked like a cross btween a square shape and a pc with only a top skin and all the drive slots
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

what canopy was the 4th from the last to land? it almost looked like a cross btween a square shape and a pc with only a top skin and all the drive slots

This is known as Slots3. There are only 2 in existence (at present....). It was designed by Dick Gays in Britain, who is also known for making the "WALLY" canopy in the Wally Gubbins movies, the Olympic rings and Volkswagen Parachutes.

Slots3 is a very low bulk, single surface square with a forward speed between that of a PC and a ram air. It was conceived and developed in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Slots3 is the Mark 3 version, there having been 2 earlier design incarnations.

Both of the existing canopies were jumped at the Teuge vintage weekend, and some people are dreaming of making their own ones already.

good to know thanks for the info. i was wondering if it might be european design. I had never seen one before. looks like a man ought to know how to plf to jump it. sweet pic guys
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

good to know thanks for the info. i was wondering if it might be european design. I had never seen one before. looks like a man ought to know how to plf to jump it. sweet pic guys

Most of those landings looked like they needed PLFs. There were a lot of late turns that increased rate of decent in the video.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!