lucky508

Paracommander question

Hi lucky,

There were two schools of thought: One was to make it VERY long so that the sleeve & pilot chute would be behind the canopy and not into any of the steering slots. Two was to make it VERY short so that the sleeve & pilot chute would sit in the pulled-down apex area.

Personally, I preferred #2; make it very short.

Why not give both a try and see which one you like?

JerryBaumchen

Hi lucky,

There were two schools of thought: One was to make it VERY long so that the sleeve & pilot chute would be behind the canopy and not into any of the steering slots. Two was to make it VERY short so that the sleeve & pilot chute would sit in the pulled-down apex area.

Personally, I preferred #2; make it very short.

The short line will increase opening shock. Something about seperating the snatch force from the actual opening deceleration. There is an explanation of this in Poynters manual.
Personally I liked the long one, not for that reason though. After all in those days I was still bullet proof!

GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

Hi Bob,

I never experienced any greater opening shock with a very short retainer line. Originally, I jumped it with the long Pioneer sleeve that came with it and that thing would knock the sh** out of me at terminal. B|

I finally went to a shorty XBO sleeve and life was all good once again. B|

JerryBaumchen

Hi Bob,

I never experienced any greater opening shock with a very short retainer line. Originally, I jumped it with the long Pioneer sleeve that came with it and that thing would knock the sh** out of me at terminal. B|

I finally went to a shorty XBO sleeve and life was all good once again. B|

JerryBaumchen

Probably due to canopy slump in the sleeve. I got one of the first red, white, & blue PCs in my area and remember going back to a rag during the weekend because the openings were easier. Had bruises on my legs and shoulders from the openings. Of course those comfortable Milsurp container systems didn't help much either. Finally one of the sky gods of the time suggested sitting up on opening. Gee wish I had discovered that sooner.

Not really Jerry. The original owner bought it in Oct 64 and I bought it from him in late spring 65. I sold it when I got drafted in summer 66 to make payments on my car while the folks tried o sell it.
Spent the next couple years jumping rags while in the Army. Up side was we could get them for $10 through Quartermaster sales. Learned how to sew modifying the things for the Ft Knox Parachute Club. Lots a good times there even though we didn't get any aircraft support from the Army.

Bob

Your just not looking in the right places and your not willing to pay those over priced ones that show up now and again. I know where you could get one right now for 500.00 or another for 350.00.

On the other hand I know where you can jump about 25 different ones of all kinds of colors, models and pack type for the cost of a lift tickets, packing and a donation for the up keep of the collection cuz it's a lot of work, oh and if you need to be trained you might want to buy lunch for your Ins.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

It's tough to find a good PC. I bought one that is junk for $100 but it came with a 3 pin pioneer H/C that is in excellent shape. so it was worth it. I found the MK1 I'm jumping now just by asking the seller of another canopy I was buying if he had any PC's available. B| I've been on the lookout for an olive drab PC for some time. I contacted Stratostar about it but the one he knows of is in the collection he mentioned.

BTW, has any one heard of a "Black Knight" PC? It's a 24'er that is in dark camouflage. I'm told it has extra slots in the apex and will really thump you if you sink it in.

ATW,
Cael

This guy had one for sale awhile back. http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?username=efs4ever;

The OD green one that was listed is no longer to be found in the classifieds.

You might have luck here being your military http://www.pioneeraero.com/2-5_fre_fal.htm for this is the one you seek and we have an orginal one stamped "pioneer recovery systems" not MC-3.

I did notice that it is now made out of 2.0 oz ripstop.

Anyone for going down Memory Lane????

Yea I talked Scotty Carbone into going on an all round jump in 04 and we gave him the "pioneer recovery systems" MK-1/MC-3 and still to this day when he sees me all he says is fuck you my back still hurts! Yea old fat asses are well advised to stick with the jumbos, and don;t try to stand up the landing.;)

Regarding the low supply of PC's:

Well, I can't offer any new old stock PCs, but I have found some odds and ends that I can offer for sale. I've just put up an ad for a few PC style canopies (including a 'Russian' PC, Pap, PS-06), either in good but used condition, or well used condition.

Colson and I are already discussing the sale of one.

(Long after I and another rigger at the DZ raided the old rigging trailer for PC's for ourselves, I found some more and got the DZO to agree to let me sell them.)

BTW, has any one heard of a "Black Knight" PC? It's a 24'er that is in dark camouflage. I'm told it has extra slots in the apex and will really thump you if you sink it in.

This is the "official" Pioneer Black Knight PC, which does not seem to match your description.

HW