stratostar

Who's that guy # 420

These are for the old farts on here, don't think many young pups will get them right? Howard you need hold back to give the rest a chance before you name them right off, this should be too easy for you.;)

#1. Who, Where, when (time frame)

#2. Two guys, who, where and when (one more well known then the other, what is he known for? bonus points)

#3. Who , where, when

#4. Who, where and when (if your really you can say where in the stack they are for bonus points)

5. Who, Where, When

Good luck and happy guessing.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I would never call you a lier, but I would Parachutist, who says Oct. 26th 81. So I have to take your word over print, seeing how you were there and all that.

So you got one part of the who, and you nailed the where and when.

You might get the rest if you think about who was in the stack with you and where they are in it.;) But in the mean time while Howard is chomp'n at the bit and foam'n at the keyboard...... Let's see if some of the young pups can step up.;)

Hi Strato,

I've seen all of those photos before; some I recall and some I don't.

#2 I think this is Charlie Hilliard and Lou Sanborn.
#3 Maybe Lou Sanborn; and just maybe Steve Snyder, a tough one.
#5 Lou Sanborn kneeling and Jacques Istel behind him. I think this is in Russia at the '56 World Meet.

So, close, waaay out there, or what?

JerryBaumchen

I would never call you a lier, but I would Parachutist, who says Oct. 26th 81. So I have to take your word over print, seeing how you were there and all that.

So you got one part of the who, and you nailed the where and when.

You might get the rest if you think about who was in the stack with you and where they are in it.;) But in the mean time while Howard is chomp'n at the bit and foam'n at the keyboard...... Let's see if some of the young pups can step up.;)

I checked the date and I have it correct. That photo is on my wall. I have most of the other names but I will leave it up to other people.

But I will give on hint. One of the people in the Worlds First 14 Plane has already had his name come up in this thread.

Correct Charles and Lew 1958 @ the world cup.

#5 is is also correct as to who, credits say 1958 Yugoslavia @ the adriatic cup

Now for the bonus points....

What is Charles Hillard Best known for and with who?

I'm sure that would be an easy one for you POPs, let see anyone else can get.....Just for sporting fun.;)

Correct Charles and Lew 1958 @ the world cup.

#5 is is also correct as to who, credits say 1958 Yugoslavia @ the adriatic cup

Now for the bonus points....

What is Charles Hillard Best known for and with who?

I'm sure that would be an easy one for you POPs, let see anyone else can get.....Just for sporting fun.;)

'First' USA baton pass, with Steve Snyder.

BASE359
"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

Ah and the white haired wise one speakith we have location correct, but it's not the names we looking for here rather "The name".

So spark you get bonus points for knowing names of jumpers, but who among the old wise ones can get the name?

The CRW stack photo looks like the one I've seen on the wall at West Tennessee Skydiving which is touted as the TN state record, but I don't think it's the same.

They're all before my time anyway...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hi Strato,

Re: What is Charles Hillard Best known for and with who?

As mentioned, first baton pass in US but I will wager he is better known for being a world champion acrobatic pilot.

I 'think' he also owned a Ford dealership in Ft. Worth, I seem to remember looking at a car there once.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Now for some other bonus points: Where was the first baton pass in N. America made at?

#1. Winner, mosparky with "Perrisites" Perris Valley 1979

#2. Winners POP's & Jerry. for #2 & 5, #2 Charles & Lew 2 & #5 Lew & Jacques Istel

#3. Winner, Jerry, Lew again

#4. Winner Jack, world record 14 stack z-hills

#5. See above #2

Special bonus point to JSbird for getting First baton pass with S.S.

And we can for get Mr. Howard who I know had the answers all along but gave other a chance to play along.

Anyway heres to Lew Sanborn D-1, one tough old bird. These images were taken from my 1982 Parachutist and a write up about the first issued 30 year membership in USPA awarded to Lew. You do the math, and the man is still jumping, pretty damn cool in my book, so hat's off to Lew and those of you in his class.

P.S. I hope all you old farts (said with respect) have been writing all this crap down, should make a good read....:)

PS) Now for some other bonus points: Where was the first baton pass in N. America made at?

Raise'n hand and waving & shouting out loud.

Oh I know, I know, I know......

The first baton pass is made in free fall by two Americans, Lyle Hoffman and James Pearson, over Vancouver, Canada. A month later, Steve Snyder and Charles Hilliard, alternates on 1958 U.S.Team, accomplish same feat over Ft. Bragg N.C.

And we can for get Mr. Howard who I know had the answers all along but gave other a chance to play along.

So what do I win for being a good sport?:P

Anyway heres to Lew Sanborn D-1, one tough old bird.

Amen to that. I've known Lew since 1966 and had the pleasure of being on a impromptu sunset six-way with him last summer. Three of the people on the jump had a total of He's always been humble, generous with his time and wisdom, and a genuinely nice person. I talked with him a few weeks ago -- he was on his way to a POPS thing in Florida.

HW

Anyway heres to Lew Sanborn D-1, one tough old bird. These images were taken from my 1982 Parachutist and a write up about the first issued 30 year membership in USPA awarded to Lew. You do the math, and the man is still jumping, pretty damn cool in my book, so hat's off to Lew and those of you in his class.

Since noboby responded to my hint to who one of the people was in the 14 Plane, I'll give the answer. It was of course- Lew Sanborn! Lew was doing CREW with us at Z-hills in the early 1980's and I was honored to be on the same 8 man team with him at the First World Cup of CRW. We won the silver.

Lew and I both got our first CRW hookup on the same jump.

May 1977, jump #133 for me, Lew and I went base/pin out of Mr Douglas in Deland and a ten man star was built. We broke into two 5 man stars, rotated and were to fly back together but we ran out of time. Lew and I found ourselves very close just after opening with very compatible descent rates. Lew was slightly lower and just kinda sidled over and I reached down, grabbed his top skin and hooked my feet into his center lines. Lew was jumping that ratty old rainbow patterned Cloud and I was under a Strato-Star. I had lost a Huarachi sandal on opening which he noticed as he docked. "Hey! You've only got one shoe. This is my first hook-up!" I replied "Me too" practically thru tears because I had been trying for months to hook up with my DZ partner, Robert Kempf, but all we had been able to do was wrap ourselves and get rope burnt hands and legs. Here Lew and I had done it without even thinking about it.

Lew went on to become very enthusiastic about CRW and as seen here participated in some pretty amazing jumps. All I could do was watch those guys with my jaw agape. WoW!

jon

Who: Diane Rolland, Tim Long, Rich Brooks, Bill Delli, Mark Seckler.

Where: Perris Valley

When: Late 70's

Who's that guy in red @ 12:00?
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

>>Well done on the first baton pass; but it was actually at Abbotsford, BC.
And the reason, I've always heard, was at the time most U.S. DZs still enforced the rule of one jumper per pass only. But that simple baton pass was the very beginning of the RW revolution.

And in a way we still haven't got it right. We have to over-protect and reign in our students, as that's where our future is. And we have to let our experienced jumpers go, as that's where our progress is . . .

NickD :)