47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Are you an auto detailer by trade?

You should be able to find lots of them right in your town.;)

A guy with the username proautodetailer has been known to upload phony Cooper bill videos to YouTube...and yes...I went back and changed that post to Mammoth Lakes. I updated the Newsvine article too, just to make sure. I sure was upset when Fossett disappeared. I think I did eight articles on him. The only person I've done more on was Obama. Maybe sixty articles on The Prez, all total. Most before the election, some after. Forget the politics. Here's a funny one about the day he takes office. :| I may be twisted, but I do have a sense of humor.

*Question Everything*

we know who that is - thanks for letting us know!
[:/][:/]:D

Do you mean you have a color version of the search zone map? All I've seen is B/W. I don't think a color of that would be particularly helpful unless it had better resolution than the B/W, which is about 59 pixels per statute mile. I'd like to have better resolution if it's available.

I have the color version if you want it -

Do you mean you have a color version of the search zone map? All I've seen is B/W. I don't think a color of that would be particularly helpful unless it had better resolution than the B/W, which is about 59 pixels per statute mile. I'd like to have better resolution if it's available.

I tried a download of the Satalite Map from Google. Interesting, but not helpful. Best results were a hi-density Rand-McNally Atlas map and a clear layer of the scaled flight path I ran on PhotoShop. I ran another layer of the dual oil pipeline, used registered reference points for accuracy, and murged the layers. Veeeeeellieeeee inturwestinnnnnnnk!

I don't think I've ever seen a cover letter on the transcripts. If there is one, it's not on the copy Sluggo has up.

The redactions Orange is talking about are in the cover letter - blacked out portions.

attached -

I assume you have the map so wont attach it -

Orange was talking about the radio transcripts. The attachments are the write-up for the first landing zone estimate and only redact names.

Hominid, The color version of the first jump zone map can be found on Sluggo's web page at http://n467us.com/Photo%20Evidence.htm.

Thanks Robert99. I assume you mean the copy of a google earth view.

It is probably a Google map, but it is the one with La Center showing in the lower left hand corner. And a lot of lines drawn to show a range of locations for the jump and the landing, assuming an open parachute.

There is at least one more Goggle map on Sluggo's site that shows the location of V-23.

Keep in mind that the placard was found a few miles southeast of Toutle and the estimated jump point in the above map is roughly a half-mile north of Highland.

As I have mentioned before, the write-up describing the jump map can be used to roughly estimate the wind speed and direction that was used to predict the landing point.

Robert 99 says in part:

'As I have mentioned before, the write-up describing the jump map can be used to roughly estimate the wind speed and direction that was used to predict the landing point...'

Actual landing point depends heavily on whether Cooper pulled the ripcord right off the stairs, or went into freefall for a while first.

Immediate pull: more drift. Freefall for a while: less drift. Unfortunately, no one knows for sure WHEN he pulled. My best guess says he did it right off the stairs.

The map in question covers those conditions. However, it doesn't cover a no-pull situation which would put Cooper on the ground roughly one mile, or less depending on the height of the local terrain, down track from his jump point.

The map in question covers those conditions. However, it doesn't cover a no-pull situation which would put Cooper on the ground roughly one mile, or less depending on the height of the local terrain, down track from his jump point.

Down track parallel with or under the FP?

No drift?

What do you estimate the forward throw to be?

The map doesnt cover that, or doesnt mention that
specifically?

Also, there is the Noise Factor. Imagine those jet engines screaming. I don't care how friggin' brave you think you are, faced with those partially-opened stairs and those screaming engines in your ears, maybe you take the safe route and back down.

As you move backward,

That's how I personally envision Cooper's jump. It's just a theory, though.

Thats an interesting concept. ! Turn your back to
the monster. Hmmmm. Maybe the monster would
go away, and no point in facing it in any event, so
just turn your back? Cooper the chicken shit.

We all have theories. Mostof us dont use up tons of
bandwidth expressing them ad infinitum. But each to
his own . . . on the internet.

Actual landing point depends heavily on whether Cooper pulled the ripcord right off the stairs, or went into freefall for a while first.

Immediate pull: more drift. Freefall for a while: less drift. Unfortunately, no one knows for sure WHEN he pulled. My best guess says he did it right off the stairs.

Sure we do, Bleepins. He pulled on ten seconds count after going down the stairs face first, wapping his right leg on the railing. You just don't listen! Of course, your input would be incorrect, just on general orders... Ask Mac. Well, he has more contracts out on him than you can count, so he probably won't talk to you anyway. Ask Jerry he knows everything.

Speed at the jump was probably at 175 knots or less, elevation at 10,000 feet or so, winds per Robert99. Flight path is correct as reported except 15 miles off to the West of where they say it was. Jump happened a few seconds after the question, "How's everything going back there? Anything we can do for you?" or something to that effect. One, two, three... Ten seconds later the chute is pulled. I think he was a little early and had to hike a ways which warmed him back up.

Sure we do, Bleepins. He pulled on ten seconds count after going down the stairs face first, wapping his right leg on the railing. You just don't listen! Of course, your input would be incorrect, just on general orders... Ask Mac. Well, he has more contracts out on him than you can count, so he probably won't talk to you anyway. Ask Jerry he knows everything.

Speed at the jump was probably at 175 knots or less, elevation at 10,000 feet or so, winds per Robert99. Flight path is correct as reported except 15 miles off to the West of where they say it was. Jump happened a few seconds after the question, "How's everything going back there? Anything we can do for you?" or something to that effect. One, two, three... Ten seconds later the chute is pulled. I think he was a little early and had to hike a ways which warmed him back up.

Pulling early is normal when counting in your head in a high stress situation (like the High Jacking), "1 Mississippi" is not 1-mmmmiiiiiissssssssssiiiiissssssssiiippppppppi" it is more like "1-misipi".

(Nixon wasn't a a Pilot, but his special Advisor was, 2o~ years of Navy Flight Training and flying experience, and his assistant had special duties to oversee, one of which was Airline safety)

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

'Sure we do, Bleepins. He pulled on ten seconds count after going down the stairs face first, wapping his right leg on the railing. You just don't listen! Of course, your input would be incorrect, just on general orders... Ask Mac. Well, he has more contracts out on him than you can count...'

Yada. Yada. Yada.

Proof please.

Is this "Mac" the same one in the video I linked?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Down track parallel with or under the FP?

No drift?

What do you estimate the forward throw to be?

The map doesnt cover that, or doesnt mention that
specifically?

Why don't you take the time some day to read the write-up that is included with the drop zone map?

"Down track parallel with or under the FP?" Surely you don't think Cooper is going to do a 180 degree turn and head back towards Seattle?

"No drift?" Unless the wind stops, a very unlikely event, Cooper would drift downwind in the less than a minute it takes to fall from 10,000 feet to sea level. Even if the wind was perpendicular to the flight path, Cooper would probably not impact more than one-quarter mile from the flight path. If Cooper impacted at higher elevations, it would be less than that.

"What do you estimate the forward throw to be?" Forward throw? You are beginning to sound like a skydiver. But at the speed the airliner was travelling, and falling all the way to sea level, Cooper would be on the ground less than one-half mile down track from his jump point.

"The map doesnt cover that, or doesnt mention that specifically?" Huh? Whatever you are talking about, a good place to start would be the quotation at the top of your post and the write-up (its not a cover letter) that came with the drop zone map.

And Dr. Professor, why don't you work up a post explaining the differences in the computations between the following two cases:

1. Assume that Cooper jumped from a stationary balloon at 10,000 feet (assume a no wind condition), what are the equations that describe his free fall to sea level?

2. Assume that Cooper jumped from an aircraft that was travelling 225 MPH at 10,000 feet (assume a no wind condition again), what are the equations that describe his free fall to sea level?

Are there differences in the two sets of equations? If so, which set of equations is the most difficult to solve? Do you know how to solve either set of equations?

Don't be modest or shy in showing your "expertise" in this matter.

"The map doesnt cover that, or doesnt mention that specifically?" Huh? Whatever you are talking about, a good place to start would be the quotation at the top of your post and the write-up (its not a cover letter) that came with the drop zone map.

Sluggo calls it the :1972 FBI Jump Zone Map:

He places it under the heading: "FBI Search Maps" .

He calls the two pages which accompany the "1972
FBI Jump Zone Map, the "Explanation of lines and
points on the LZ map".

What do you call these documents?

Why cant someone refer to the two typewritten
pages of explanation as cover letters?

What law of nature or convention of human
language would that violate or confuse ?

Maybe you need to issue a Glossary of Terms,
and demand everyone follow it - ?

[:/]

Oh! almost forgot! Will ask here:

Do you or Tom or Blevins happen to have the
missing page from Larry's six pages of the weather
data? I assume you know what Im talking about?
Maybe you dont. Maybe you do! Do you know where
I got those pages? Im lost and confused.
:D

G:

points on the LZ map".

R99:

I'd call them the same thing that Sluggo does.

G:

R99:

A standard dictionary should be sufficient.

G:

Maybe you dont. Maybe you do!

R99:

I haven't counted them. No. Yes. No.

G:

Do you know where

R99:

Larry? Agreed but you said it.

G:

points on the LZ map".

R99:

G:

R99:

G:

R99:

G:

Do you know where

R99:

Well,

DO YOU NOW FEEL BETTER! ?

G:

points on the LZ map".

R99:

G:

R99:

G:

R99:

G:

Do you know where

R99:

Well,

DO YOU NOW FEEL BETTER! ?

No change here. How about you?

No change here. How about you?

Not really.

I think Sluggo has the "map" titled wrong but
nothing I can do about it, especially with you and
Blevins here working as a team of disaffected.

I know we cant have a rational discussion.

That is all needs to be said.

I know the psychology and ideology. Its very very
sad, unnecessary.

Potatoes! :D

.....................Seriously, does this Knoss guy actually think anyone here at DZ believes any of his crap?

Of course not - thats why he persists. Trollism.

How sad and bad for this thread! On the other hand
Knoss is a mirror. He exists and reflects the deep
gulf which apparently exists 'between the horns' of
the Cooper enigma.

Many people seem to have solutions for the case.
Many people of al stripes. (It would take a
psychiatrist to sort it all out!)

I think it could be a little helpful to explore not actual weather but perceptions of it. Specifically, I'd like to get some thoughts about this from people who fly light private planes or are at least familiar with such. Pilots, passengers or even people close to private aviation. I've never been close to that community, so my thoughts may be way off.

First, what about flying through moderate, steady rain? It seems to me that pilots try to avoid doing this and they're trained to avoid it. Maybe don't go out flying if it's raining or if it's likely to be raining while you're out. Try to avoid areas of rain. Go around it if you can, or climb above it. How right or wrong am I about this?

What proportion of private pilots fly through such weather frequently? How nervous or "spooked" (or scared) would a typical private pilot be about flying through such weather in day time? How about doing it in the dark?

How different would it be in relation to flying through light rain? Scattered showers?