howardwhite

Who and where? #2

I dunno.
But the clues are interesting!

European style buildings with high peaked tile roofs in the background, with driving on the right. Germany sounds like a good guess given the US military hardware also in sight.

Someone should recognize that distinctive old terminal (or are they hangars?) Big terminal for the day but also tight up against the city, yet there's space on the ground for a special event without airline traffic getting in the way.

One airplane is a Starlifter or similar.

The other looks DC-10 like, more that than a Tristar but I'm not sure. I can't even quite tell if there's a 3rd engine, but large twins simply didn't exist way back when, so I'm guessing it is a DC-10, which first flew in '70.

From the attention it is getting from the crowd, it seems it's the first time anyone has seen the damn thing...

The large twin is definitely a DC-10 or L-1011. My guess is Germany somewhere in the early 70s. Off the nose of the twin is an odd WWI German looking symbol painted on the concrete.

BTW the way, awesome photo of the jumper looking down!

It's Cal Callahan of the 7th Army Parachute Team, Tempelhof Airport Berlin. September 16th and 17th 1972 at the 25th anniversary of the U.S. Air Force.

This was the first parachute jumps made over Berlin since the end of WW2. I was right behind him on the demo. I remember that we were only allowed to go to 3000' everything above that was Soviet controlled airspace.

A strange thing about this demo was the close proximity of the wall to the landing zone which made direction of jump run and spotting the P.C.'s difficult to say the least.

At this demo, on landing we were greeted not by enthusiastic whuffos but by leftist radicals demonstrating the Vietnam War. They yelled at us and caused a disturbance and threw propaganda leaflets at us that I have attached.

We also got to meet Peggy March who was an American/German pop star of the day.

Also attached is picture of Mike Wasley on the same demo.
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

It's Cal Callahan of the 7th Army Parachute Team, Tempelhof Airport Berlin. September 16th and 17th 1972 at the 25th anniversary of the U.S. Air Force.

This was the first parachute jumps made over Berlin since the end of WW2. I was right behind him on the demo. I remember that we were only allowed to go to 3000' everything above that was Soviet controlled airspace.

A strange thing about this demo was the close proximity of the wall to the landing zone which made direction of jump run and spotting the P.C.'s difficult to say the least.

----------------------------------------------------------
I jumped into the 1936 Olympic stadium in Berlin in 86 or 87 (don't have my logbook handy) for a marathon hosted by the French Army. The French team was 'too busy' to jump with us. So, us Yanks jumped with the Brits. No protestors but we did get snubbed by the commanding general who didn't want the engraved Baton the Brits landed with. So the Brit SGM said to hell with him and gave it to us (US Army). Berlin sure looks small from the air!

BTW, was that big jet a DC-10 or L1011?

Brilliant! Spot on!
The only thing to add is that neither of the airplanes on the ground (I don't know what they are) is a C5A.There had been one at the previous year's Open House but the threats of demonstrations by "Communists," as the Stars and Stripes headline described them, seemed to have scared off the Air Force's plans to have one there. (A few months earlier, two home-made bombs were found in a C-54 on static display at Tempelhof -- they were disarmed.)
Tempelhof is as it appears in the picture -- a mid-city airport totally surrounded by dense urban population. But it gained world-wide fame in the early cold war years as the focal point for the Berlin airlift, when Allied aircraft kept the population of West Berlin alive by flying in supplies while the Soviet Union barred land acccess to the city.
I spent a month in one of those "towers" in the terminal building on TDY shortly after the Berlin Wall was put up.
Tempelhof is still in limited use for domestic commuter flights, but probably not for much longer.
Attached is a little chunk of the Stars and Stripes story (along one one from the 1973 event.)

HW
(The original picture was published in Parachutist in 1973 and the canopy landing picture of the "Challengers" 7th Army team was published in Stars and Stripes, as were the news snippets attached here.)

Interesting stuff. I assume (which I hate to do) that the Van Bibber who had to air out his reserve is "Rip" Van Bibber who spent a number of years on the Army Parachute Team - Golden Knights RW Team in the late '70s.
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

Interesting stuff. I assume (which I hate to do) that the Van Bibber who had to air out his reserve is "Rip" Van Bibber who spent a number of years on the Army Parachute Team - Golden Knights RW Team in the late '70s.

The same, the one and only!

Couple more pictures.

The first taken above Templehof shows the landing area (marked by the X). Note the poignant remark in the top right hand corner.

The second shows the main airport terminal. The terminal buildings were designed, at Hitler's request, to look like the German Eagle. You can see his architects achieved the required results.

That weekend I made 6 jumps, all on a Delta II. The canopies the rest of the team used were P.C.'s, Para Planes and possibly a Voplane.

The jump platform was a Huey.

Attached are newspaper articles from "The Stars & Stripes" and "The Berlin Observer"