hongkongluna

fandango fans...

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the story of the Cessna they used for the Pecos Parachute school scenes?

In the film, you can barely make out this tail number : N2673R, which if you do a search comes up as owned by a Sam Deluca. I would gather that this Mr. Deluca is related to Rande Deluca who was aerial coordinator for the film...

Perhaps BJ Worth can enlighten us. I'm wondering what the story is regarding that plane & the movie...

Rainier
-Rainier

Sparks Brother #1 // "I vaguely heard someone yell "wait!" but by that point i was out the door." Quote from dz.com somewhere

Ah the fandango 182, what a work of art that was. It has inspired more then one nut job, that's for sure.;)

If you like fandango, do a search on youtube for "proof" and take a look, it is a short that was the idea behind fandango.

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

> Perhaps BJ Worth can enlighten us

Yeah, somebody should ask BJ to write a paragraph
or three on the jump story of it all and then post it here.

I thought that as an artistic representation it really captured
the spirit and flavor of certain dropzones I used to go to.

The actual details were ridiculous and hilarious but the vibe
was perfect.

I feel nostalgia every time I see it.

Skr

The actual details were ridiculous and hilarious but the vibe
was perfect.

Ain't that the truth. You're right, that it was taken to the extreme, but I think just about everyone who went through a first jump course at a small DZ back then can see elements of truth in the story. ;)

Kevin K.

.. absolutely perfect First Jump Course...;)
perfect... even had liberal use of the chalk board....B|;) and viewed by jumpers of the day,, as even MORE funny when compared to the many many Looong -winded Instructors of the time.....
( i can recall a couple of static line first jump courses where the Instructors went on and on and on, until suddenly it was too late in the day to JUMP !!!..) hahahah.. ( As fun jumpers, we were happy to have the plane...;))

But Truman Sparks was NOT long winded...
he ran on the "Keep It Simple Stupid " principle and
he Inspired...
" hey man, you do THAT on the real thing and You're gonna bounce ".....

Plus it was a cool pilot move, to fly that plane UNDER the expressway bridge.....

good pictures,, looks like a 172.. or maybe even a 150???

jmy

JESUS!

I remember telling my students that "feeling" the relative wind was kind of a "zen" thing. You'll know when you're there. Can you dig it? Are you hip?

Throw three static liners and follow 'em out. Next!

Our soy fields were full of rattlers. We tried to drain a pond that was too close to the landing area only to get chased out by pissed off Moccosins. We had about 40 acres of watermelon too. They got yellow end but the good ones were sure a treat in the bottom of the ice machine around lunch time. At least we had running water at the hangar. A far cry from where I started.

Back in the day.

"Fandango" started out as a film student project called "Proof", filmed at Cal-City and Van Pray wore a long haired wig playing the hippie pilot for the flying shots. The low opening shot was done by a long static line.

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

The hangar at Ghoulidge we operated out of in the 70s and 80s was identical to the one at the airport where Fandango was filmed.
Over the years, there were dozens of people who were convinced that the movie was shot at Ghoulidge and that I had a part in it.
More than one jumper has climbed on board the airplane I was flying and inquired, "What was it like when you flew for Fandango?"
I was never involved in it at all.
Zing Lurks

The hangar at Ghoulidge we operated out of in the 70s and 80s was identical to the one at the airport where Fandango was filmed.

All the old military hangers looked the same , except for Coolige had that oh so cool skull and crossbones on the roof. :)

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

That looks like the hangar at Coolidge circa 1986, just after Larry Hill took the place over. The Twin Beech in the foreground is N2625, which is still owned by the Hill's at Eloy.
It's hard to make out the N-number on the other Beech, but I believe that's the one that crashed in Illinois in 1990(?) or so.
Here's another ground view of the hangar around 1988, maybe 1989 when I was flying there, and an aerial shot of the new roof that replaced the one with the skull and cross bones on it around 1981, but prior to the roof being painted orange.
The orange roof came about after a trainee pilot in a T-37 got lost flying down to Ghoulidge for touch-n-go practice, stalled the airplane and spun in, crashing less than a 1/2 mile from the hangar.
You can spot that orange roof from miles away.
Zing Lurks

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the story of the Cessna they used for the Pecos Parachute school scenes?

In the film, you can barely make out this tail number : N2673R, which if you do a search comes up as owned by a Sam Deluca. I would gather that this Mr. Deluca is related to Rande Deluca who was aerial coordinator for the film...

Perhaps BJ Worth can enlighten us. I'm wondering what the story is regarding that plane & the movie...

Rainier

Thanks for reminding me about that. I just ordered the dvd from dvd universe. I'll have it Wed. :)
I remember watching the movie "Proof" at Muskogee in the 80s sometime. On 16mm projector even. The other feature was something like "The Wizard of Sound and Light... or Time and Space or something like that..."
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

Here are some pics of the airfield used in the film:

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/Airfields_TX_W.htm#pyote

According to this site, anyway:

http://www.howboutafandango.com/info/locations.htm#pecos

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Yeah, but back then it was known as The Camel. That DC-3 is a true warbird that served in North Africa ... and has a few patched bullet holes in it left over from WWII.
I saw it sitting at Ottawa a couple years ago when I flew a Skyvan there. Other than the smashed left wing and aileron, I noticed it still has the Maytag engine on one side and the Studebaker engine on the other. Theyt appear to be the same engines that were on it when i was flying it back in the late 80s/early 90s.
Zing Lurks

Yeah, but back then it was known as The Camel. That DC-3 is a true warbird that served in North Africa ... and has a few patched bullet holes in it left over from WWII.
I saw it sitting at Ottawa a couple years ago when I flew a Skyvan there. Other than the smashed left wing and aileron, I noticed it still has the Maytag engine on one side and the Studebaker engine on the other. Theyt appear to be the same engines that were on it when i was flying it back in the late 80s/early 90s.

It's still sitting at Ottawa. Sad.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'm looking for a large photo of the plane to set as my wallpaper. I've been told that my old in my old military ID i looked just like Judd Nelson.

Take a look HERE. You might find something fun. :)
btw, did you know that Fandango was one of Quentin Tarantino's top 10 film loves? B|

Tarantino Influenced by Fandango?

Quentin has listed Fandango in his top ten favourite films. We all know how he nicks (sorry, 'homages') the best bits from other films, right? Well, have you noticed that Fandango starts with the film title, followed by a dictionary defenition - as does Pulp Fiction.

http://www.howboutafandango.com/info/trivia.htm

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon