chrismgtis

Joe Kittinger Jump from 120k (Video)

I didn't know there was actual footage of Joe Kittenger's jump. Thought this might be of some interest to some of you.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/42263/the_speed_of_sound/
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Cool video. According to wikipedia it is debatable if he actually broke the sound barrier or not...

According to Kittinger, he broke the speed of sound during that famous highest jump. This may be debatable, as other references give his peak speed at 614 (988 km/h) or 618 (994 km/h) miles per hour, or mach 0.9. Nevertheless, he occasionally ribs Chuck Yeager about being the first man to break the speed of sound.

One problem is the speed of sound is not constant. It goes down with increasing altitude and then reverses and starts increasing again. Other atmosperic conditions also affect the speed of sound. So at any given point his speed needs to be compared to the local speed of sound under those instantaneous conditions. I don't think 618 mph gets it at any altitude, but since his speed varied also with altitude you need to compare each point.

Got the life magazine signed by Joe when he was at the sympsium.;)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Between 280,000 and 315,000 feet, 618 mph is above the speed of sound under standard atmospheric conditions. That's it for altitudes under 400,000 feet.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) he wasn't that high. But I don't know how accurate that 618 mph number is.

Dave

Wow, thats a cool movie.. Any idea what altitude he deployed at? Looked like he was way up there. I assume he had some auxillary O2?

His auto-opener clocked open at 17,000 feet. Super safe, hey?

How long would his time under canopy have been?

Seems to me, after reading the book about the project that it was about 11 minutes or so. Wouldn't want to swear to that, but with full equipment, that parachute was carrying a much heavier load than the average sport jumper or ejected pilots who used the same canopy.
Zing Lurks