RogerRamjet

Looking for Z-Hills Cessna 196 Pictures (70's)

Here is (I think) the L10E and the Pieces of Eight team from Massachusetts.
Kneeling, l-r: Paul Cully, Dan Thompson, Bob MacDonald, Ken Carville, Ted Strong.
Standing, l-r: Dan Poynter, David Adams, Don Mayer, Larry Overton, Bill Taft.
Ted's shop was still in Massachusetts at the time and Dan was working there.
HW

Howard - nope, that's a Twin Beech.
Hoop

Hi H

Thanks for the picB|. Is this the meet where they had 110 ten way teams competing?

Thats a bunch of folks:o were they able to drink Z-hills dry, befor the meet was over?

I hadn't heard about the canuck getting hungup on exit but thats exactly what the other picture you posted looks like.B| Did his team request a rejump?

My luck I would have slid off way to low to do any good.B|

R.I.P.

Can't recall its N-number, but I made my first couple of jumps out of a 196 in 1969 at the now-defunct Rainbow Airport south of Milwaukee. I think a jump pilot by the name of Steve Schimming bought the same plane some years later and operated it briefly at the Badger Skydivers' DZ at the Waunakee, WI airport (near Madison), where I made a few more jumps out of it. By then it had been equipped with a fancy all-plexiglass jump door.

I lost track of this 196 afterward, and would be interested to know if anyone knows its fate.

Blue with Cu,

Bravoniner

I made my first couple of jumps out of a 196 in 1969 at the now-defunct Rainbow Airport south of Milwaukee

Made my first freefall out of it 11/22/69. I think Frank Younquist was the owner at that time.

Blue Skies!

Harry L
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

The company who converted, did four of them, only two survive, mine and Richard Porters.

I own the other one (N2103C). The differences being mine has a larger step, an external oil cooler, and a modified Beech cowling instead of the Howard cowling which combined slows her down compared to 95N.

I've also seen pictures of one in Skydiving Magazine in South America and one with a Garrett engine that was also in South America.

We still fly her at West Tennessee Skydiving when Mike is gone with the King Air. We fly with 5 jumper due to the short runway, but have had 6 when I've flown for other DZ's with longer runways. I can't imagine 8 on board. Your record is safe.

The first time I jumped Frank's C196 was at Parachuting Inc at Rainbow.
Jump #78, 30 second delay from 7200, signed by Tom Schapanski D-1053.
Don't remember the N number as I was to young and dumb to know or care at the time.
She was unpainted except for some red trim on the cowl and wingtips and along the fuselage.
The last I heard was a pilot from Kenosha WI by the name of Bob Ayds, a mountain of a man, skidded it off the end of the runway at Rainbow and flipped on her back breaking the wingspar.
I believe the insurance company wrote it off as a total loss. Don't know what happened to her after that. Maybe Hooper can help out?
It was a 196 as I remember the etched camera siting glass in the floor in front of the pilots seat.
I also remember the "LOOK" Frank would give anyone who had the balls to question his spot or give him a correction
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

I, SS89, purchased the 196 from Frank Youngquist out of Rainbow and operated for a couple years Badger Skydivers based at Waunakee , Wi 7 mi NW MSN. 2300' 1/2 Paved 1/2 Grass Airport. By 2nd year of operation were getting fairly consistent 8-Mans. Flew 8th on a couple and not a great spot in airplane, fortunately only 10 min ride to altitude. Went to work for Feds in 74' ended up gypsying airplane around MSP DZ,s for year. Leased to PI . Airplane destoyed in landing accident. SS