highspeeddirt

jim handbury

Yeah... well... and...

So, Bozo, when are you going to venture over to the Califonia side of the Mojave Desert to jump agian? Haven't seen you since the Apple Valley daze...

Well Timmy me boy....I hit Elsinore twice this past summer and Perris once.
I certainly miss Apple Valley....what a great fun DZ.
I quit doing the drive to Cal City cuz the wind blew everytime I showed up.
Mesquite Nev just got the Caravan back for the winter so i'm there til it goes back to Ogden Ut.
Does your car drive the other way on I-15?

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

:ph34r: Of course, I remember him. We called him Sky Baby cuz he was 16 when he started. What a sweetheart. I used to watch Kurt for Dana, (Ma Death) when she lived in Dennis Trepaniers trailer. I lived in Tom & Jody Owens trailer in the Elsinore Ghetto. Dana had just started dating Jim. That was in the late 70's. I saw them in the mid 80's at The Acapulco Bar in Hemet. I remember him being very innovative, a real genius in the sport. He surely added many good ideas to our sport, that are still valued today. A great person, funny, kind with a good heart. In the beginning, I remember him being at Gary Douris's side. He was feeding on the info Gary would give him. I remember telling Gary that the two of them were like Beauty and the Beast. He didn't like my comment, but he laughed anyway. I made a lot of comments, that Douris didn't like. :S They had a special friendship and the two of them were brains plus, for the sport.
Sandy

Just to put a face to the name, I believe that's Jim Handbury in the orange suit beside Carl Boenish on the cover of Bud Sellick's book, 'the wild wonderful world of parachutes and parachuting', n'est-pas?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Nah, I always go to Vegas via Death Valley to Beatty to Vegas.

---------------------------------------------------------

Come to Skydive Mesquite. Its just like the old days at Apple Valley....no kidding.

bozo

Come to Skydive Mesquite. Its just like the old days at Apple Valley....no kidding.

... you mean they get started late, the airplane breaks down a lot and they have no one on staff that can fix it? :S

:P

... you mean they get started late, the airplane breaks down a lot and they have no one on staff that can fix it? :S

nooooooooooo I meant the great vibe, :o)

bozo

ah... that was just the beer... ;)

[reply

ah... that was just the beer... ;)

--------------------------------------------------------

EXACTLY! ! ! You got it.

bozo

I met Jim Handbury a few times when I was a hang glider pilot living in Elsinore in the 70's. He was a great pilot and one of the inventors of the first chest mounted, hand deployed reserve systems used for HG. The basic elements of his original HG reserve system are still in use on all the hand deployed reserves that today's HG and paraglider pilots use.

Nick is right about there being a lot of intermingling of ideas and culture between HG pilots and skydivers back in those days. As the 2 sports evolved, I guess they grew apart.

In the early 90's I switched from HG to paragliders, and then this summer I started skydiving. I've only been skyjumping for a few months, but I feel that there's a lot of cross over as far as technique and technology between the two sports. The 2 sports have fundamental differences, but I think that they compliment each other really well. I think paragliders and skydivers could both benefit in a lot of ways if we "intertwined" like we used to back in the day.

Hmmmmmm...all this talk - it's sorta right - not exactly, but it's 6 a.m. and I'm rushing to get Kirk fed so we can both get off to our days...

I'll get back to this forum and straighten out a few things that matter - like that it was Beanpole who jumped with Skykirk on 6/11/77 in DeLightful DeLand, not Jim. Kirk got his SCR and Freakbrother numbers on that dive...Jon, you were there :P

Anyhow - dash time - am ordering a complete rig from Ralph today...barely used, but my colors (loud)...so it's fair to say I'm back mwrahhhhhhh!!! Will be out at Cal City doing 16 ways this weekend with folks I haven't seen in forever, like Roger Kersey and Dennis Trepanier and Ken Thompson.

Let me leave you all with this - Kirk's 40 . I'll attach a recent photo of him with his service dog, Ramee.

Blue Skies, all
Dana
(Sandy - you cracked me up with the Ma Death!! Only those who were around knew about that.)

pics too big to upload - I'll send something another time...

A bit off subject,.... I'm ready to come home, haven't had a day off to check out the local dropzones, the corn fed gals are at the beach house, haven't been there either, but Bridget the midget will be here soon, kinda short notice to go see her. I miss ya all at Cal-City.

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

A bit off subject,.... I'm ready to come home, haven't had a day off to check out the local dropzones, the corn fed gals are at the beach house, haven't been there either, but Bridget the midget will be here soon, kinda short notice to go see her. I miss ya all at Cal-City.

Midget... short notice...

Ah! You funny guy rapter... I like you... I kill you last.

Jim Handbury was a Southern California rig manufacturer who's "Handbury Rig" was a regionally popular rig that gave the Wonderhogs (Vector) and the SST (Racer) a run for their money. The So Cal jumpers, at the time, had an attitude like those other two rigs were so Florida . . .

Hmmm, I thought our (I built the first Wonderhogs for Booth) rig's competition was Handbury in CA, Buchmann Eagle in IL, and JumpShack SST in MI. I can see where CA jumpers might have thought the Wonderhog and SST were "So East Coast," but not "So Florida."

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519