kkeenan

Skydive Radio

I know I'm behind the times, but I just started listening to Skydive Radio, and I think it's great. It's an internet podcast. They do one show a week, and all of the past shows are archived on their website for download. They started making the shows last year. I've started listening to the old ones and I'm trying to catch up to the present. The one I listened to recently was the interview with Bill Booth. It was interesting to hear about the evolution of gear back in the old days and how he solved some of the design problems. Having jumped through all of the years of Capewells, MA-1 pilotchutes, etc. and being in DeLand when a lot of his development work was happening, it was cool to hear his perspective on the work.

SD Radio has also had interviews with Ted Strong and some other pioneers in the sport. The shows are kind of funky, but this talk show fills a niche in the skydiving world and really helps to spread the culture of jumping by educating younger folks about their skydiving heritage, as well as keeping everyone up to the minute with current stuff.

Just my two cents. Go to http://www.skydiveradio.com/ if you need help listening, just check the forums, there's plenty of info.

Kevin K.

I agree, the shows are great and are providing an invaluable historical record when they interview the pioneers. They only have about 500 listeners but that should improve as the word gets out.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

They announced that about 500 had signed up. I think you need to register to get access to the downloads.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Actually, there's no need to register. It's completely optional. You can download any show at anytime. Signing up is kind of fun because they have a world map with the location of everyone who has volunteered to 'sign up." Check it out.:)

There are other skydive radios, but the programming is not nearly so inspired. WFFC has its own FM station that you can hear for many miles beyond the DZ. Manifest announcements are made with recorded rock, reggae etc played in between. Who needs the FCC? We are the WFFC. Wish every DZ had their own station. You can have one legally with no license if the transmitter power is below certain limits (roughly 0.1 watt). A tenth of a watt? Hell, thats not enough Joe. Crank it up til it pops a Cypres or two then back it off a couple of watts.

They only have about 500 listeners but that should improve as the word gets out.

It's great to hear that you all are enjoying the show. Just a clarification though, the 500 number we talked about is a goal for our frappr map which is not an indicator of total listeners. Only those listeners who take the time to sign up on the map will show up there.

Using our web stats we estimate our current listener base to be around 3000 people from about 50 different countries.

Skydive Radio

Thats cool B| I wonder if all these people are jumpers themselves or if some are potential new entrants to the sport. Be sweet if skydive radio was attracting new people to our sport too.

I been trying to catch up on old shows I missed and had my Ipod on ALL DAY at work listening to shows. Trying to get in the skydiving spirit and learn as much as I possibly can before I go away for my first skydiving holiday to Spain.

Some of the guests been very interesting for me to listen to. As a newbie its fascinating to hear the level of progression available in different disciplines. I don't think I'm ever gonna get bored of skydiving :P

Yup, just wanted to second, third or whatever all of the above.

Skydive radio is fuckin grrreat !

I would also urge anybody reading this, if you haven't allready, to make a donation for all that entertainment/knowledge they give.

As I understand it, they do it for for the love :) and as the poker winnings aren't gonna cover it, need our support.:P
but what do I know