piisfish

What does POD stand for?

In french, a POD is what you call a deployment bag.

I think I read somewhere it was an old deployment system, but the term POD is not used anymore in the english language.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

In french, a POD is what you call a deployment bag.
I think I read somewhere it was an old deployment system, but the term POD is not used anymore in the english language.

Para Opening Device.

I first saw them used as substitutes for sleeves on Paracommanders. I can probably find a picture and post it later.

HW

I used one last season on my PC.;)

Any pic of the POD ??

What would be the technical difference with a D-Bag ??

The french usually don't know what a freebag is.. They call it a Reserve POD...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I used a POD for my para commander in the late 70's. It was basically a bag for the canopy where the lines were stowed on the outside. Then the stowed lines were protected by another velcro closed flap. Worked well.

See photo

Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

anyone know when POD was last used ?

I first heard of them in the mid 70's. It's funny how everyone was kind of scared of them back then because they were new. If I remember right, a para-plane was packed into a POD back then....Steve1

If I remember right, a para-plane was packed into a POD back then....Steve1

Dunno about para-plane but I had a Volplane in one. PODs were fine for PCs because the canopy was fairly light, but the earlier squares were heavier. So, particularly in a low-speed opening, the pilot chute was only able to lift the POD into a vertical position on your back -- but then it would stay there until you gave it a "kick."

HW

P.O.D. parachute opening device thats what pioneer and P.I. called them.a pod is just a d bag where the crown lines of the canopy(para commander) are used as the p.c. bridle.a pod tho, differs from a bag in that the canopy is folded into the pod in layers,one on top of the other. the folds opf canopy in a bag are s folded in on their side,from the top of the bag to the bottom.

Hi Fish,
Nitro is on it. POD s suppose to be an acronym for Para-Opener-Device!! Pioneer Parachutes, I think, first marketed them in the early 70's?? Anyway, they were copied and made in many variations!! I built MANY!!!! One thing about a POD is that the tighter the thing was, the more of a cannon shot you got on opening!! Basically you take a D-bag with a split up the middle with velcro and 2 lateral velcro cuts at the top. Abouta 1.5" dia hole reinforced withT/VIII webbing and 1"cotton tape for the crown lines, and there youhave it!! I made a bunch of 'em for jumpers at Otay (O-Die!!!) back when it was McDonald Land, Home of the Otay Bunch, and The San Diego Zoo 10-MAN Teams!!!!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Parachute Opening Device (POD) was originally developed to improve openings on Para-Commander (Lemoigne) class canopies.

POD came after sleeve and short-sleeve.
PODs look more like modern deployent bags.
The biggest difference was the big (#8) grommet in the top of the POD. That allowed packers to pull all the crown lines outside the POD and stow them in rubber bands that were on top/outside the POD.
This cured a whole series of sleeve-slump problems.
Some people even believed that PODs softened openings by reefing the crown lines.

The rest of the suspension lines were stowed in rubber bands, similar to a sleeve and often were covered by an extra (again similar to a sleeve).

Early squares also used PODs. One advantage of a POD was that it could slide far enough up the bridle to hide/collapse the pilot chute. This downside of this was main pilot chutes wearing out quickly.

Moden main deployment bags are much simpler than PODs, but the French still use the old term, out of habit.

The only recent North American use I've seen of the "POD" term was for a special deployment bag for a BASE system. I presume it was called a POD rather than deployment bag mainly because it was longer, about one third the length of a canopy being packed. It also happened to have a #8 grommet on top to allow the bag to slide up to the pilot chute, and used a reserve d-bag style pouch for stowing the lines.

I believe the company is currently just calling it a sleeve instead.

This is just a minor example of how an old term was reused for a type of deployment bag that in some ways resembled the original POD.

I used a POD for my para commander in the late 70's. It was basically a bag for the canopy where the lines were stowed on the outside. Then the stowed lines were protected by another velcro closed flap. Worked well.

Me too, on my Paracommander. The main difference I remember about the POD is that Instead of stuffing the canopy into it, like you do with modern D-bags, the POD was all split open and you'd stack your canopy and then wrap and close the thing around it, with velcro and the two lock stows on the bottom flap. I thought they were just great, really easy to pack and I never had a bad or hard opening with mine. Used it right up through 1977, 'til I bought a Handbury rig with the new style bag and a smaller round canopy (a Sparrow, which was like a smaller 21 ft PC made with lightweight ripstop by Don Whillden in El Cajon).

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !