steve1

"Style"...Anyone do it anymore?

In the old days, some jumpers specialized in style and accuracy. Ask a new jumper today if they have ever turned a style series, they'd most likely wouldn't have a clue what you are talking about. Is this still done in competition? Haven't heard of anyone doing this in a while....Steve1

Style and Accuracy is still a National and International event at various meets.

In the US both Military Academies field a Team as well as the Army's Golden Knights Team.

There are several events that focus on Style and Accuracy (maybe more on accuracy now, PK Platter and Lew Sanborn Meets come to mind).

It is rare maybe, but still out there.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

In the old days, some jumpers specialized in style and accuracy. Ask a new jumper today if they have ever turned a style series, they'd most likely wouldn't have a clue what you are talking about. Is this still done in competition? Haven't heard of anyone doing this in a while....Steve1

To steal an old joke-

In this day and age, Style is defined as how cool you look before getting into the plane. Accuracy is getting into the right plane.

Jack

There are a few guys doing style where I jump. The black rubber suits in the summer don't exactly attract a lot of newcomers. :P Actually they held a style camp at the DZ last year or so. Really interesting to watch (judging/spotting from the ground and all) but I don't have any interest in trying it. Looks hard!

Dave

There are a few clips of style jumps on skydivingmovies.com. I don't know all the rules, but it's basically just timing how fast someone can do a few turns and flips... but with very specific rules. Sounds easy until you realize how fast the top guys are. They leave the plane downwind of the DZ facing the camera (on the ground), dive really hard to pick up as much speed as possible, then get into a tuck and begin the style set. The tuck lets them turn and flip a lot faster, like a figure skater bringing in their arms. But it's a really unstable position.

You can see short style clips in:
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=957
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=2562
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=3226

Dave

http://www.styleandaccuracy.com/

Yes..some 'old timers' still "TURN & BURN"!B|

(cough cough);)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yes..some 'old timers' still "TURN & BURN"!B|

(cough cough);)

I still try to turn a good series once in a while. Never was too good at it though. RW seems a lot more fun.

Anyone up for a baton pass?:S

Gee whiz, I am dating myself here aren't I...Steve1

I would figure the Canadians would still do it.. I know that they have a few Accuracy meets around this neck of the woods.... so perhaps some of them turn a style series...

Hell if you want to try to go old School I have a Style rig with the high set rings for the belly wart and a Papillion in the main container if you are just itchin to try Steve:P

Come on over to this side of the Mountains Steve.. I will hook ya up:ph34r:

Hell if you want to try to go old School I have a Style rig with the high set rings for the belly wart and a Papillion in the main container if you are just itchin to try Steve:P

Come on over to this side of the Mountains Steve.. I will hook ya up:ph34r:

Old School is my middle name. I'd love to jump your papillion. Doing that sort of thing makes me feel young again:S. Maybe bring it to Lost Prairie this year. I've got my boat ready to go for water jumps....Steve1

Think we can remember how to pack it again.. I mean it opened just fine on the water jump last year;)

BUt shit...... that was the first time I had packed one of those things since 1976:ph34r:

Oh hell, I have perfect memory....It took three of us several hours, to remember how to pack one up summer before last....Or was that five years ago, right after aunt Martha died....No, I think it was six years ago, right after I escaped from the "Home"!

Now, what were we talking about?:S.....Steve1

Hi Steve1,
Do Style, Why????? Think you can do a 4 second set?? If the early style freaks had their way, Relative work would never have become a competitive event. They tried, but there was more of us than there was of them. Besides, RW was more "FUN!!!!" Like someone said,"These daze, Style is looking good walking out to the airplane and Accuracy is making sure you get on the 'right' airplane!!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out