Silverlining

Traditions for particular jump milestones?

I recall on my hundreth jump was a demo into a University Oval surrounded by trees. Kind of a tight DZ for a "rookie". One of the old "salts", in our club, (Bob Murray) came over and tangled up my para-commander good, and then shook my hand. Ah, those were the days....Steve1

yuckie stuff after coming down on their 100

It's every 1000, not 100. 100 jump 'pieing' is just sad, it's like having a 'graduation' for 2nd grade.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

In SA it has to be naked.

It's every 1000, not 100. 100 jump 'pieing' is just sad, it's like having a 'graduation' for 2nd grade.

A bit condescending to newbies don't you think? Didn't you feel like you achieved anything on your 100th?
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

[

Maybe now days....In the old days, very few jumpers ever made it to a 1,000. I remember when Fred Sands and Dave Tousey broke a 1,000 jumps in the latter 70's. I felt nothing but awe for those guys. They were the first that I knew personally to break that barrier. I think they may have been the first in Montana to do such a thing.

Nowdays a 1,000 jumps may be achieveable in a very short time. It can be also done without a huge amount of risk involved. Try doing the same thing by jumping gutter gear, with unsafe rules, with unsafe aircraft, etc. That's a whole different ball game.

I had one Pal who made a 1,000 jumps on a 7-TU (28ft. round) back in the latter 70's. Now that's an accomplishment in my book. And I don't think he even broke any bones doing it....Steve1

yuckie stuff after coming down on their 100

And after celebrating every 1000 jumps I bet you walk on water.:$

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Didn't you feel like you achieved anything on your 100th?

I really did. I thought it was amazing. For two reasons.

First - At my 1000th, I think it was not as special because of the difference.

From 10-100, huge change. From 900-1000, not that much.

Second - everyone that we know skydives. Therefore, we don't think it is that big of a deal.

Not everybody skydives. Fewer continue past a tandem. Fewer get a license. Fewer make 100. Statistically, people with a 100 jumps are a small percentage of the population. What are B-licenses up to ?

Besides, I think that every milestone (skydiving or not) in a persons life should be lavishly celebrated. It is entirely cool to smile with friends about their things. B|

Pie at 100 and every increment of 1000.
Beer for firsts, events, and general encouragement of socialization.

Jump numbers is pretty much the only award I keep track of...

I really like the little wingie things!;)

1000 jumps ~wings from my 'retired' FJI

2000 jumps ~wings from Gen Chuck Yeager ret.

3000 jumps ~wings from a Mr. Harrison Ford...at the largest airshow in the world!

Who knows...for 4000 maybe I can get D-22 and ole Sparky to pin me in the skies over Elsinore!B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

#100, on a Thunderbow.
#400, on a baby Para-Plane; first square jump
#1000, fell base for a kid from Canada so he could practice dive swooping.
#8000, 5th in on an 8 way.
Lots of pies along the way.
We used to "grease" a jumper who reached a milestone, whatever it was.
We collected drippings and stale booze from the bar and restaurant in a 5 gallon buckle and dumped it on the head of the recipient. Finally quite doing that when the stench got so bad, it was gaging. And, the neighborhood dogs wouldn't clean up the mess any more.
www.SkydiveLostPrairie.com