ccinder

arvin, elsinore, oceanside, taft 1965-66

My name is Susie Bateman and I used to jump in all of the above places. I did alot of jumps with Jim Dann, Bill Newell, Lyle Cameron, Don Molitor and was on the cover of Skydiver Magazine with the most people hanging outside of a Fairchild 51 aircraft. Lyle was on top of the plane and I was in the door. I knew Jim Dann really well, and stayed at Bill Newll's house in Bakersfield many times. I received my c license than broke my pelvis in 3 places due to a total malfunction. I jumped more after that, but it wasn't the same. However, I never forgot the fun, the people the "here's to cardinal puff" and would like to know where they all are now. and what they are doing. I am in Redding, California and was a paramedic until I had four back surgeries, now I am home and I love being home. Jim Dann, Bill Newell and I can't remember who else, used to make kiss passes in Arvin, I was one of the few females at that time. so it was fun to log that in the log books. Dave Keaggy seemed to be the pilot alot of the time. My first jump was in Elsinore in an old Howard. A friend of mine knew someone who did the jumps for Ripcord an old t.v. show and wanted to try it, I went with her and she never did it again and I went all the time. Please let me know if you remember me or any info on the above. I also knew Bob Buquor really well, and all the twin beech loads that Don Molitor had . Harry Small was my rigger that I bought alot of stuff from.

Susie,
I don't know any of the people you mentioned personally. Walt Mercer owned a twin beech at Taft during the 60's. He also flew the first 10-way load with Jerry Bird and others during that time period. He's still alive and well at Stevensville, Montana. If you want to contact him, I'm sure he knows where most of these other old-timers are located. I don't know if you still receive Parachutist Magazine or not. You should read this month's issue and article (The Rise and Demise of the Arvin Good Guys). I'm sure it would be nostalgic for you.....Steve1

Hi, Steve,
Thank you for the information. I do remember Walt.
I received another email that let me know my picture is in October Parachutist Magazine. I no longer get it , but I called USPCA and they are going to send me one. That is so weired. I have been thinking about everyone lately, never spoke to anyone and all of a sudden my picture is in the magazine. It's like all of us are nostalgic. I am anxious to receive my copy. Susie

Yep, although I did not realize it was that late. But I am a young one. I think Leo used to jump much longer ago, and held some 10 way records at one time.

Anyway, my current DZ shares hangar space with him, so I thought it might would be cool if it were someone that Susie remembered.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

I just saw a blurb in a nautical paper that a project, including 600 new homes, and a Marine Village (selling boats and other lake use stuff) has been green lighted in the Elsinore lake bed.

http://thelog.com/news/newsview.asp?c=134819

Scary?

Developers, before they disappear, are notorious for telling buyers near small airfields, "oh, that airport isn't used that much, and it's closing down soon."

And that's how it starts . . .

However, I know to never count out this DZ as it probably owns the record for coming back from the dead.

There have been many grandiose plans for this area that never came to pass beginning with Jacque Istel's Sky-World. This was a planned mixed use aviation theme park, that after the floods, we took to calling Carp-World. Eventually Jacque fled to the desert and built Whacko-World . . . :)
It's funny but, at one time building anything in the Lake Elsinore flood plane wasn't allowed. Every DZO that's been through there fought hard to get even the smallest structures built. When did that all change?

We rejoiced when they built the dyke system, now no more 100-year floods (they called them) we seemed to have every 5-6 years. But, I see now these periodic floods are the only rationale for Skylark Field being there at all. Lake Elsinore's only hope now is a 500-year flood, which should be sometime in the next twenty years. It would save not only the DZ, but also what’s left of a very beautiful place.

Now, if someone would just re-open Melodie's Bar up on the hill, all would be right with the world.

NickD :)BASE 194

Wasn't Leo the DZO in '77 - '78? And then he went to Hemet?

Gary, and Indian Doctors, early 80's?
(I swear, the day they came out to see what they invested in, one actually said, "Holy Cow . . .").

Mid-1980s is Deborah Blackmon and the old twins owned it . . . ?

I'm so confused . . .

The Haskell brothers, leased Skylark Airport from the Indian doctors from 1985 until Gary Douis, Skip Evans and I formed a plan to reopen the Airport to Skydiving in January 1990. We subleased from the Haskel brothers for one year then leased directly from the Indian doctors. Since the Airport was in a US Army Corp of Engineer Flood Plain and since the City was developing a Master Development Plan for the area we appled for a Conditional Use Permit and meanwhile we formed Cy Perkins Parachute Club. Two years later our CUP was approved. After getting approval for the CUP we formed Skydive California, Inc. Within a year, the Airport flooded. I managed to keep a small taxiway open as a tempory runway which allowed Larry Perkins to maintain his 40 year old aircraft maintenance business open. A year later I got help from the City to repair some of the flood damage and with Curly Annis help open another temporary runway which allowed us to cosponsor a 2nd Octoberfest Air Show whic allowed us to begin operation again. We subleased to Jim Omera to run the Skydiving operation. Jim passed on his sublease to Larry Hill and Ivan Henery. They passed on the lease to the current Skydive Elsinore. Gary, Skip and I allowed that to happen on the condition that we be removed from the Airport lease and they lease the Airport as well. We had remained behind the scenes only until we felt the Airport was in stable enough hands operation wise to be permenant.
Tony Brogdon
D-12855

Hi Susie,

I remember you being at Oceanside, and all the
jumps hanging outside the Fairchild. I also remember
you in other settings, maybe Taft or the Rumbleseat
or ...

I'm struck by how strong this skydiving connection is,
that people from 40 years ago would show up here
and say hi like no time has passed and we're picking
up where we left off in mid sentence.

Skratch (Garrison)

Ok, let;s see if I can remember this;)

I showed up at Elsinore in '74 w/ 10 jumps; the Perkins family owned it.

About 77-78 Jacque Istel bought it.

1979 (late like December) or more likely Jan 1, 1980 Leo and Ed took over and within 2 weeks (or a month) the whole place flooded.

We moved to Murrietta for 9 months until the water went down and rebuilt Elsinore and operated for another 9 months until it flooded again and we moved back to Murrietta for (9 months?) and then back again and you guessed it flooded again. (I may be off a flood or two).

We then moved to Hemet where I worked for up to 6 months and then left. About 6 weeks after that a FJC student went in and Hemet closed.

I ended up at Hemet in 1988 after leaving Elsinore (for non-flood reasons); although it flooded again w/o me about 6 months later.

Sounds confusing doesn't it

:)
As far as I know Elsinore hasn't flooded again but hell it's only the beginning of the rainy season. :(

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

Lake Elsinore was where all the major Sky Gods jumped in the early 70's. Being called a Sky God then was the ultimate compliment. It was the place we all wanted to visit. Then about the mid 70's everyone seemed to be heading to Casa Grande (or the "Gulch" as it was called). I've only made a couple jumps at Elsinore, but I'm definitely going back to that place someday to make some more.....Steve1

The first time I visited I remember just seeing the sign that said "Lake Elsinore" as I drove along the road (no freeway then) was mystical.

And yes, if someone called you a skygod, at that time, it was a good thing.

After I made a jump or two, (I had maybe 90 jumps then) a skygod told me to go over the hill, to Perris, practice some more, and then "maybe" I could come back here and get on the hot loads.

I think I probably just gulped and said, "yes, sir, wow, oh man, you really mean it?"

And I was dead serious.

>>How many of the old jumpers, from the late 60's & 70's knew how to write? How many of them even remember the 70's? <<

(Digging my toe in the dirt)

I do . . .

Write or remember the 70's?:P

Sparky
CCS-99
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

hi, scratch,
I am amazed at how we can all pick up where we all left off 40 years ago too. Since I found this site I received a phone call from Brian Williams and Bill Newell and have kept in touch. I was so surprized at the pca magazine in October and the picture. It is so surprizing that I just happened to find this site at that time. I have been looking for a copy of the skydiver magazine with the fairchild jump on the cover. Those were the fun times for sure. susie

Nick-

I can't wait until people buy that property and find out why it's often called "Lake Smell some more."

It's fun watching the paths the jet skis make through the algae in the lake, and seeing that the trail is still there when you go up on the next load!

I remember my first paying job as a jump pilot. You were the JM for a static line student and had to "short line" him as he did a back loop off the step.

Blue Skies!

Harry Leicher
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

Hey, I remember the 70's. I savor every person, every jump, every beer. Don't you??? I wish I could go into a time machine. I would go to Elsinore and Perris in the 70's. Then I'd break the time machine. Loved every minute of it. So did you. Felt a whole lot better then too. Hey, that rhymed. LOL...We were the Pioneers of this sport Sparky. I was there before you and am very proud to be a part of all the chatter by today's jumpers.***The Blessed of us, should give to the rest of us!!! Sandy Calliham
Sandy

Hey, I remember the 70's. I savor every person, every jump, every beer. Don't you??? I wish I could go into a time machine. I would go to Elsinore and Perris in the 70's. Then I'd break the time machine. Loved every minute of it. So did you. Felt a whole lot better then too. Hey, that rhymed. LOL...We were the Pioneers of this sport Sparky. I was there before you and am very proud to be a part of all the chatter by today's jumpers.***The Blessed of us, should give to the rest of us!!! Sandy Calliham

It was a lot different then, I felt like I was part of something special.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals