caseyusa

potato-chipping

its something I was doing alot of thru AFF3, it took seeing the video of that jump before i got the idea, 2 more to AFF5 before i was really "stable"
my AFF instructors kept telling me to relax, i just didnt get it.
"I am relaxed, I'm just sort of stressing trying to get everything right"
duh..
one told me I had great body position, the problem was i was just locking into it instead of arching naturally.
video really really helps!

You may need the divx codecs to get video. Just download the free one. You probably don't need to install their player if you like windows media player.
I had lots of problems with potato chipping when I was a student (and I'm not much past it now). It seems like it was just a matter of getting a better body position and relaxing instead of constantly trying to fix it. Relax, get into the body position you know is right, and give it some time. If you need to make corrections, do them slowly. If you watch that video, it looks like the jumper is putting his arms out when he's head low, then bring them back in when he's head high, and making the situation worse.
Of course, I'm a newbie, and know nothing...

Pat Works always talks about "relaxing and letting the wind mold your body". Nothing could be more true in your skydiving education. It applys to the basic arch as well as more complex free fly manuvers! Try jumping from the plane with your eyes closed and feeling the wind, letting it mold your body... (don't forget to open them though...grin)
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...