historian

DC-3's

WFFC had a beautiful DC 3 at Rantoul last year, N26MA if I recall correctly. It was a real 1939 airliner DC 3 not a C 47. Had Wright engines. Owned and flown by Skip Evans, used to fly at Elsinore. Didn't get too many loads which probably means it won't come back. Today's jumpers just want fast lift, not a nostalgic half hour journey to jump altitude. I made almost every DC 3 load. LOVE that plane!

I have made a lot of jumps out of that plane. You should see the Beech D-18 he has, just beautiful.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The Wrights had the 14, 2 rows of 7. The Pratt & Whitney's were the 7 cyl. (I believe 985 cu. in. disp. producing 450 H.P.). The orange banana at Perris had the Wrights on it.

Since Skydiving operations spend most of their engine time climbing, the single row Pratts are preferred over the double row Wrights as the back row of cyls. tend to overheat on those long climbs to 12.5K.

Most all Skydiving DC-3's, Beech 18's and Howard DGA-15's had P&W's on them.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi Bill,

The Wright engine used in the DC3 would have been a single row engine I think called the Whirlwind or Cyclone. It was 1830 cubic inches and made about 900+ HP.

The P&W was a twin row engine of 18 cylinders, two rows of nine. It was 1820 cubes and made about the same amount of power.

Each had or has it's advantages. The Wright was far easier to work on and was lighter. It is very robust with huge pistons and long stroke. It was preferred by the Navy. But, when the engine failed it usually failed big-time. The P&W was/is a constant nightmare of exhaust and baffle repairs. It ran smoother and quieter and is the more common engine so parts are more readily available.

Twin Beeches and Howards are powered by the P&W R985. Single row of nine cylinders producing 450HP. I'm not sure if Continentals were ever used on either. Possibly in the earliest models. The guy to ask would be Jim Slocum.

There are several dash - number differences in all of these engines which affect the available power and/or the duration of METO (max except take-off). Some were equipt with two stage superchargers, Mr Douglas being the only one I've ever flown in that had it actually working for years. Some had larger front bearings and the list goes on.

You want a rundown on this stuff just ask Mark Berghorst(sp?). His eyes will roll back into his head and he'll start spouting dash numbers, dates, figures, etc. on and on... I wonder if he still ends every sentence with "and that" ie:"Did you know that the power enrichment valve of the Bendix pressure series carburetor is in fact edible, an' that."

Check out www.douglasdc3.com. Awesome website just about DC 3s. Currently has a picture of the Rantoul DC 3 jumpship on the home page.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

I jump at Skydive Utah in Erda. The DC-3 Southern Cross flies there as someone earlier posted. Feel lucky to have this plane at our dropzone. It has been down this season so far due to aileron damage incurred in a big storm in January. At this writing it is close to being repaired and back in the air, hopefully this weekend. Jumping out of this plane is awesome. Tons of room to get up and move around, even do dirt dives while riding to altitude, which takes 12 to 15 minutes to 12K to 13K. It doesn't fly without at least 22 jumpers and has seatbelts for 42. I have never had my jumpsuits and gear oiled jumping from this plane, however, if one is absent minded enough to stand in line of the props when it is being started, you can end up with lots of black spots. LOL Anyone wanting to jump a fun DC-3 should come out to Skydive Utah and take a ride. I'm posting a Picture of the nose anyway of the Southern Cross. Only one on hand.

Blue skies...
One of the surest signs that intelligent life exists in outer space is that none of it has tried to contact us.

The wright engines used on DC-3's were 1820 c.I. 9cyl.single row 2 stage blower 900-1550 h.p. depending on -#. The P&W 1830 is 2 rows of 7cyl.around 1200 h.p.Much smoother but not as powerful as the Wright 14-1500 h.p.

I had a Lockeed Learstar with Wright 1820-86's 1500 h.p.that would haul 29 jumpers to 13,500 and back in 15minutes.(a turbo prop can't hardly better that)

POP

In 1980 Perris briefly had an awesome bright yellow DC-3, "Forty Lima". Instead of the usual 7 cylinder Wrights, this baby had 14 cylinder Pratt & Whitneys, it was sorta like having two Wrights back to back inside each engine. Man that thing would HAUL ASS on takeoff, we loved it !

I remember that one. I never got to jump, but always wanted to. Manifest kept putting me in the silver one "Mike-Alpha." (N26MA) Mike-Alpha last seen in the film "Pearl Harbor." I had to laugh, because when Ben Affleck gets off what is supposed to be a C-47, the door is small, and you can see the hand rail for jumpers.

Last weekend for the 60th anniversary (if you can call it that) of operation Market Garden our club got to do a jump from 61 year old 'Fifi Kate' (picture attached)

Sitting in that plane, thinking about those soldiers who risked their lives, jumping into decidedly unfriendly circumstances without a reserve chute from a mere 1000 ft. with a lot of military gear, being shot at all the time...and getting down alive was only the beginning!!

We actually had one of the veterans on board for the flight. An English gentleman of about 80 yrs. old. I doubt he was cheered and applauded when he boarded the very same plane 60 yrs. ago.

I have *SO* much respect for the paratroopers of WWII....

Ramon
Rainman

1000 ft? 650 ft... Less time to get shot down B|

Eric took one of the veterans for a tandem, the guy said, under canopy at 1000 ft: "We're lucky!!" "What, you mean that we can jump from 12k now?" "NO! There's nobody shooting at us!!"

He enjoyed the jump tho :)
Since they opened pretty high, they saw me flying in my wingsuit, and my opening.
The BBC was there, among other radio/tv crews, the BBC guy said I looked ready to be put in the microwave :$:ph34r: (got a silver wingsuit)

Props tho to the veterans that jumped again, a couple (one practically blind veteran included) did tandems but a lot of them did SL. I think they were aged between 70-85. Awesome! :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

How about jumps from non-dropzone DC-3s?

Around 1974, a bunch of us from Z-Hills jumped into the St. Pete/Clearwater Air Show as part of the show. The plane used was a Florida Airways DC-3 (they had 727's too, but we couldn't get that one to happen). They removed the last 5 rows of seats and the door for us. The catch was, due to their airline rules, the plane had to be crewed by Florida Airways personnel. Therefore, we had a Florida Airways Pilot and Co-Pilot AND two Florida Airways flight attendants (Called stewardesses back then). We had cokes served on the way up! The flight attendants would not venture past the last installed row of seats and had never been on a flight with no door before. It was the first time I jumped into an air show and got to watch the Blue Angles from close up :)

Can't imaging anything like that ever happening these days...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

How about jumps from non-dropzone DC-3s?

I have a few...

Doing the EAA Oshkosh Demo, for years "J.A.R.S"
Jungle Aviation Rescue Service..(i think)
Brought theirs up from South America to promote the
organization and seek donations...

I must have 60-70 jumps out of their pristine "3"
that's used as an airliner the other 51 weeks of the year.

Great bird...and hey!
It's even got a 'head' on board! in case you forget to
get that last 'nervous pee'...

Also there on Whitman Field in Oshkosh is
where they do the Turbine Mods for DC3's...(Bazzler?)
gotten to jump a few newly transformed birds, prior
to their being delivered.

...And a good friend recently bought a DC3,
he brings it to all kinds of airshows and events...
I couldn't believe it...there he was at Kitty Hawk,
sitting under the wing sipping Jack and smoking Cigars
when we jumped into the 100 year annv.
of the First Flight.

He's owes me a jump in it, but recently 'donated' it
to the Univ. of N.D. which is now painted on the side.
Hummmm....;)

PIC of me...Zhills~Spring Break '79

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I don't remember those. I was at the nationals in Richmond in '78 and '79. I do remember a "crash" on takeoff that was due to a rudder lock problem. Maybe my memories aren't very good though. What years were the nationals at Richmond.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was 1978, a blue DC-3 and the control cables hung up on something and it would not rotate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To

I figured sombody would remember somthing besides the beacon rides and the party at the Holiday inn that got the Nat''s banned from Richmond. I hope sombody else remembers these happening.

The party at the Holiday Inn was in 1980, and it was a party. I got my Otley number at that party.
Sparky

That's the 'crash' that Mark Murphy tried suing everyone
that could make steam on a mirror...

...Until he was 'convinced' some time later,
it might be in his better interest to SD&STFU...;)

He was banned from USPA for life...
or until he dropped the suit.

"Whichever came FIRST"!!! :ph34r:

I don't remember those. I was at the nationals in Richmond in '78 and '79. I do remember a "crash" on takeoff that was due to a rudder lock problem. Maybe my memories aren't very good though. What years were the nationals at Richmond.

It was a blue plane and the call numbers were 873. There are pictures of the plane, both before and after the crash in Andy Keech's "Skies Call 2". The plane crashed during the 8 way competition, hauling teams and a number of people were seriously injured. I think one or two of them never jumped again, but nobody was killed. The pilot managed to slide the plane sideways across a cornfiels and break off the landing gear, while the port side prop cut a gash into the fuselage.

Several months later, Dennis Murphy sued everyone from USPA to McDonnell-Douglas and was banned for life, at least at the time. So last year at Perris, after returning to the sport from my own 22 year hiatus, I was a little surprised to see Dennis wearing a US Team style jumpsuit. Bit my lip hard and refrained from saying a thing or two about the old days and just moved away from him.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

It was a blue plane and the call numbers were 873. There are pictures of the plane, both before and after the crash in Andy Keech's "Skies Call 2". The plane crashed during the 8 way competition, hauling teams and a number of people were seriously injured. I think one or two of them never jumped again, but nobody was killed. The pilot managed to slide the plane sideways across a cornfiels and break off the landing gear, while the port side prop cut a gash into the fuselage.

Several months later, Dennis Murphy sued everyone from USPA to McDonnell-Douglas and was banned for life, at least at the time. So last year at Perris, after returning to the sport from my own 22 year hiatus, I was a little surprised to see Dennis wearing a US Team style jumpsuit. Bit my lip hard and refrained from saying a thing or two about the old days and just moved away from him.

I was there, and my memory may be muddled, but it clearly tells me no injuries other than to Murphy, who jumped out before the plane stopped sliding. Does anyone else have memories that match mine? I am well aware that memories are not immune to change, but now I'm very curious about this specific event. Were you there airtwardo?

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Were you there airtwardo?

Was there but didn't SEE the 'crash' happen,

Your recollection is pretty much the same as mine...

One person "hurt" because of his own actions....

I remember some members of the S & A team
commenting right after that he would most likely sue,
and some record should be kept as to whether he
continued to jump as it would effect any settlement.

Well, the first photo does look like the old C-47 (note the rectangular cargo door) that Z-Hills owned. If it's that one, I have hundreds of jumps from it....

Yep, I agree....I got laid in it in '77 after doing my first-ever jump (static line). True story.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239