steve1

Jumping at Taft in the old days.

I was just wondering if anyone jumped in Taft during the 60's and 70's. We have a pilot who flew the first ten-way load, back then, with Jerry Bird. His name is Walt and he used to own a twin beach. He's now in his 70's but is still flying jumpers here in Montana. Anyone remember him. He's a tough old bird. Last year he was flying loads out of a 206, with the door off, in the winter. Everyone would be freezing their gonads off. Sometimes we'd be huddled under a blanket, in the back of the plane, with chattering teeth. It was that cold, but Walt always came back to fly another load. Steve1

I jumped there between 27 SEPT 69 and 12 April 70. I was a poor student At Brooks in Santa Barbara and was looking for a closer place that the "NYLON TRIANGLE" (Hemit-Perris-Elsinore)after Santa Ynez closed down.

I made my first motion picture camera jump there and my 100th jump there with Joan Emmeck (D-1811) and I landed on a cactus. Taft was also my last jump in California (moved to Colorado.

I remember Bill Smith (A Canadian), Art Wooly, Bill Freeman and Debby Reeves mostly.

Thom

Well, before 1962 at least. 2 of the 1962 World Team, Murriel Simbro and someone else, were Taft jumpers. Both the Simbros jumped as did their daughter at Taft.

Taft and Lancaster were very early California DZ's and in competition. I prefered Lancatser because it was closer but it lost out to Taft.

THOM

> anyone jumped in Taft during the 60's and 70's

I was there from about 1964 to 1970.

I remember Walt and his Beech. Please tell him
Skratch says Hi.

I met both Walt and Jerry Bird at Arvin.

Bird took Russian at the Army language school
in Monterey and one day he started counting
who was on the load in Russian.

I took Russian in 1957 after the Soviets sent
the first Sputnik up so I started talking back.

For a few years Bird and I were brother in laws,
married to sisters Diane and Clarice, two of the
early women jumpers.

Clarice is now married to John Rinard.

John and I were the base / pin on the first 10
man team. Bird and Clarice were somewhere
in the back of the load.

It's a very small world.

Skr

Drop Dead is dead wrong. Air Adventures West has only occupied the Armstrong property as a DZ since 1991. The original Taft DZ was run out of the Taft Airport, starting sometime in 1960. I started jumping there in July, 1962. In early 1963, Art Armstrong moved the DZ to his private property where Air Adventures is now. It stayed there until Art died in 1990 and Air Adventures West ( Bill Jones ) leased it in 1991. Dave Chrouch had a video operation at Air Adventures West. In 1998 he left Air Adventures West and started his own operation on the Taft Airport and called it Skydive Taft. Thus the Taft DZ has traveled full circle and returned to where it began.

Bill Newell
SCR#3, D-2644, SCS#69, NSCR#747, SCSA#11

Too cool. Skratch Garrison and Bill Newell both posting in the same thread... :)
Welcome, Bill.

Wendy W.
(and no, you don't know me from Adam...)

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Drop Dead is dead wrong. Air Adventures West has only occupied the Armstrong property as a DZ since 1991.

Sorry dude,it wouldnt be the first time.I put that down because thats what their website says.:S

dropdeded

------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

> Too cool. Skratch Garrison and Bill Newell both posting ...

I was kind of startled myself. I went to the forums page,
saw something new in the history section, clicked the
thread, saw login bbmsc, thought hmmm ... Hey! that's
Bill Newell!

Then I flashed back to when we first met, pulled out
my logbook to check the date and there it was:

Jump #284 August 8, 1965 Oceanside, California

5 star - Me, Clarice, Bob Buquor, Jim Dann, Bill Newell

It also says I had a stuck cone and pulled my reserve,
which I had completely forgotten about.

Cool, all the old farts are showing up.

Maybe we're not too old to teach young dogs new tricks ...
I mean ... No, wait ... How does that go ... ??

Then I clicked his profile and saw that he is still a man
of good taste ... his Racer is older than mine :-) :-)

Skratch SCR-16

(You'd think since he created the Star Crest that he would
(be SCR-1 but the first 8 were in order of entry in the star.

Skratch ..I think It is great hearing fron the pioneers of the sport. you few brave people paved the road thet we all follow. when i started freeflying was just heard of. i decided to try it on my own. i am doing good seven years later . i just hope that your legacy to find new ways of flying lives on, through the younger jumpers of today,but that they dont forget the beginings of the sport.

--
if my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
my site

I jumped there between 27 SEPT 69 and 12 April 70. I was a poor student At Brooks in Santa Barbara and was looking for a closer place that the "NYLON TRIANGLE" (Hemit-Perris-Elsinore)after Santa Ynez closed down.

I made my first motion picture camera jump there and my 100th jump there with Joan Emmeck (D-1811) and I landed on a cactus. Taft was also my last jump in California (moved to Colorado.

I remember Bill Smith (A Canadian), Art Wooly, Bill Freeman and Debby Reeves mostly.

Thom

Thom,
It is a small world. If you went to Brooks do you remember Tommy Owens. He was in some of the early stars and also went to Brook. Bill Smith was my first jump instructor, June 1976.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

How bout the hearst, whats the story with that thing? There has GOT to be a story there.
Ya know, I never imagined riding in one let alone DRIVING one, but last weekend....

dropdeded

They still use the the hearse at Skydive Taft and the airport in town.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

>I'm still jumping in Hawaii.

Hi Tim,

It's surprising to me how many of us are still jumping,
or maybe coming back to jumping.

A couple months ago Kim Emmons (now Knor), D-221,
came back after a 37 year layoff.

Skratch

Hate to be the barer of bad news, but Eddie went to the other side 31 July 2002 after a bout with cancer.
We did his ash dive 26 October, which was also the 20th anniversary of Spike's plane crash. In the star were, Brian Fairhurst, Lyle Cameron Jr., Norm Van Pelt, Bob Butt, Frank Lupica, Dave Crouch, and Danny Haden, and Eddie in the bag. Nice eight way for Eddie's last jump.
CRW skies
Frank
CRW Skies
Frank
CRW Diva #58

;)Hey Frank, Where have you been? Did you forget where Taft is??? (Just kidding). I think it's about time for all the ol'timers to get together again at Taft... Hope everything is going good with the CRW.. Please Tell Brian that we miss him, too! Hope to see you both soon...

Lori
Skydive Taft

I made my first jump at taft 1 March, 1980. Carl Staib wa the pilot, his son Scott was the instructor. The FJC took all day, so Art Armstrong lets us go out at night. I got in teh sport after some friends at work told me about their first jump experience. One of them, continued to jump and had a couple of hundred jumps by the time I made my first. It was really cool, showing her my logbook with a night jump already. She hadn't made one yet!

I remember Spike and his cool beech, as well as Norm and Lee Van Pelt, Carl Boenish, Art Armstrong, and Bill Newell. Since I worked in teh Hollywood movie industry, I imediately made friends with Carl Boenish. We were planning a movie when he died.

By my first freefall, I had purchased a an old-ex-military "gut-gear" rig. About a year or so later, I was working on the movie (In post-production sound) "Pursuit of D.B. Cooper." Consequently, the sound you hear (If you can over the music.) of his rig, is actually mine. The sound effects editors asked me to bring it to the studio one day (MGM), so I did. Once they saw it, they were afriad to touch it (Like some riggers I used to know.), so they had me do the "Foley" work with it. That same week, we did an episode of "CHiPs" that had a skydiving scene in it, and they used me and my rig again. Naturally, I bought a case of beer for each project.

I've since been grounded from a back injury, but I would love to go to an "Old timers" reunion. If anyone starts to organize anything, keep us "posted." (Pun INTENDED.)

--Duncan McEwan, C-19645