1 1
steve1

Scary stories from the old days?

This photo supposedly shows an impact crater at either Perris or Elsinore that happened over 20 years ago. It was in a photo album, and I just snapped a picture of it.

Anyone know the validity of it or the story behind it?

[:/]
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

This photo supposedly shows an impact crater at either Perris or Elsinore that happened over 20 years ago. It was in a photo album, and I just snapped a picture of it.

Well, I'm no expert (thankfully), but it looks fake to me. Where did the grass go? The depressions I've seen were just that, the area was depressed, but if grass was there, it remained.

I suppose someone could have removed it to keep the reminder that the sport is dangerous a little more visible over time though....

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

The only impact crater I saw ... the grass was removed by the force of impact ...it was a patch of bare ground surrounded by grass.... so that photo may be real. It's an awful deep crater...must have been fairly soft ground.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I would say "Bull shit". I have jumped at both for over25 years and have never heard of it.

The torso may leave a depression that deep but not the arms and legs.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Heck, I remember when it was $12 to 10K feet in the ol' C182 at my first home DZ in the mid 90's... and gas was still hovering around the $1.00 per gallon mark... :ph34r:
:D

I can barely remember a few things from the early 70's. A cessna ride to 8,000 ft. was $3.50. A reserve repack was only $5.00, but you needed one every 60 days. I think beer was around $5.00 a case. A complete set of used gear (28 ft. round, 24 ft. round reserve in military containers, might be $150. A new mark 1 para-commander was around $300. Even us poor bastards could afford to jump back then...Steve1

So for the temp pin story -

Do you think that rigger is now likely MORE careful and particular than an average rigger because of that incident?

or is he more of a risk because of the that incident?

I like to think it's the first, that this will hammer a lesson home more effectively than any number of speeches, etc.

(It's a matter of how he learns his lessons and owns up to the responsibility)

In other words, was it a good or a bad thing that he didn't lose his rating that day?

And that was the scariest story so far in this thread.

I recall committing a major error when I first started out rigging back in the 70's. It probably would not have been fatal, but could have been, and it scared the hell out of me.

I assembled and packed a round reserve in a chest pack. Everything was fine, but I forgot the cross connector. If someone had cut away, the butterfly snap could have come unhooked causing the risers to be hooked only on one side. A small chance, but a big error none the less.

I realized my mistake the next day after a long thinking process, and repacked it immediately. It made me think hard whether I wanted to be a rigger after that. It also made me a lot more careful whenever I did rigging work.

This sort of thing probably happens more than you realize, because noone wants to admit such a major screw up....Steve1

Hi efs and all,
Yes that is a true crater!! Annie Helliwell and I left Perris for Ghoulidge a couple of daze after Christmas one afternoon and this joker went in right after we left. It was Christmas of 83. I have several photos ot this crater too. He went in just north of where the new hanger is now. As the story goes, he was jumping (his second) wih his daughters who he had given first jump courses for Christmas. He went in and his family sued. Of course the lawyers got ahold of the coroners report and it seems that he had a little blood in his alcohol system!!! (Get it??) From what I heard, he made a lousy exit and had a lousy mal which he did nothing about. (at that time Perris had the SOS red pig rigs so all he had to do is "Pull the red handle!!!) Any way, it had rained so the ground was relatively soft and the way he dented the earth, it did kill the grass. unfortunately I don't have a scanner so I can't post my photo's right now but if you bug me enough, I'm sur I can find one.

PS I don't have a photo of it but the crater that Rick Nelson (not of Ozy and Harriet) made south of the canal was even better. That's the one that Doc johnson made the plaster of paris bird bath out of and that's another story!!!!!!!!!!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I put around 500 jumps on my first piggyback a Starto Star Wedge container w/ a Starto Star naturally and an unmodified 24' round as the reserve. Never had a cutaway but I lent the rig to a friend so he could make his 1st square jump in 1975. Well, we didn't do much in the way of checking him out; hell, we where still pretty new to these things and never mentioned/thought about end-cell closures which happened a fair amount of the time but were no big deal.
He thought otherwise and used the shot and a halfs and landed my reserve.
I was a little pissed but thankful he was OK.
He said the cutaway went fine but that the reserve took a little while to open.

The reason was the the MA-1 pilot chute still had the temp pin keeping it compressed so nothing left the container until he rolled unto his side.

The temp pin alos put a hole in the apex of my reserve.

Well, we showed this to Gary Douris who was the manager at the time and he got that devilish grin of his (if you;ve seen it you know what I mean) and called the guy who'd packed the reserve and told him to get his ass over to the airport because the FAA wanted to talked to him about the bounce caused by his pack job.
Well, when he got there he found out the mistake he'd made and that the call had been a lesson for hm to learn.

He did; I'd let him pack my reserve again.

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

When I get a chance, I'll add my 2nd scariest riggers story.

While working at Z-Hills in 1975, I got saddled with the safety check of rigs for the annual Turkey meet. This guy shows up to have his rig inspected and when I take a look at the harness, I just about fall over. Have you been jumping this? I asked to which he replied, "yeah, I have about a dozen jumps on it. Well, if you inspect your harness, you will see that critical junctions are sewn with a particular pattern. We used to call it a double diamond, though it is more of a quad diamond. His harness was sewn with a pattern resembling an "N" instead. I could not believe he had not dropped right out of the thing on the first jump. I have attached (I think) a crude example I drew in paint to illistrate.

The first pattern is what should be, the 2nd is what he had....

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

Care to share who the manufacturer of that rig was?

To be quite honest, I don't remember, but I think the guy worked for the maker of the rig and did the sewing himself. At that time, nearly all the custom gear being jumped was NOT TSO'd, Wonderhog, SST, Eagle, etc., no TSO's on any of them. It was something of a lax time FAA wise....

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

PS I don't have a photo of it but the crater that Rick Nelson (not of Ozy and Harriet) made south of the canal was even better. That's the one that Doc johnson made the plaster of paris bird bath out of and that's another story!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehehe...So, the story I was told in 1985 (by a Perris jumper who now lives in Sweden) about the bird bath crater is true! Until now I was never completely sure that I wasn't being had.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Hi Mark again,
The only "Excavating" done in the crater was done by the guy diong it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really. To all who have doubts, I can only say,"You shouldda' bin' there!!!!!!" (except for in the crater that is. Unfortunately I have been witness to many a crater site over the years. Most were not too spectacular in that there was a slight divot, some skidmarks and besides some body fluid, not much else. This one and Ric Nelsons though were "epic!!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi Saskatoon Murray!
hehehehe, you have to be talking aout Guy McLaughlin formerly of So, Cal and now of Sweden!, Yes that's true. Sorry I didn't get a photo of the crater but I got to lurk it just the same. As the story goes, this guy seemed a bit "off" and was given by a couple of people (Bad Bob Appleton for one) the,"Bowling speech!" He pressed on in the stratic line progression program and made it to his gradution dive. This was his "first" from 12500', first RW, first kisspass (with Black Death Anna, "the kiss of Death!!") and last but not least, his first bounce!! Ric and BDA leave the plane and she hooks up with him and gives him a "kiss." They check alt., split , do a 360" and hook back up and repeat till about 4 or 5 grand where BDA "waves him off as to say dive over, go open chute now (get it?)" Well, dumdum does the 360" but is staring "UP!!!" in space looking for the love of the rest of his miserable life for another "Kiss!!" At the last second he sees the ground and attemps to go fetal. from the impact it appears that his knees and elbows hit first and the rest of him follows, face down. Good impact, not nothing out or even attempted. The ground was freshly plowed and it rained the previous 3 or so daze so all was ready. His indent was so clear you could even make out the 3-rings and the weave of the cloth from his clothes. He was wearing some kind of button front shirt. The buttons were the typical 4-holed type with 2 bartacs. When he hit, the compression fractured the top exposed button on the bartacs, and when they pulled him out, the outside parts of the button were left in the crater. I lurked them!!!!!!! One nigh when we were out drinking, I gave one of the pieces to my buddy "Red Beard" for safe keeping. The other part of the story is Doc Johnson and the plaster of paris. "A properly functioning mind (never mind the AAD) could have prevented this fatality.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Locust Grove, GA. Skydive Green County.

Jumper committing suicide tracked toward the pit and overshot. He then turned around and tried again but hit about 10 feet shy and bounced over the pit.

He left a perfect delta crater. We would go out to it from time to time and have a safety meeting dontcha know. The crater was often refurbished by foot skuffing and some rock salt.

The DZ dawg got the tasty treat of the deceased's brain matter.

circa 1980-ish?

Hi Bill,

It was Guy that told me the story...thanks for giving me the story of the jump itself....I shouldn't laugh...but I am really hard.
--
Murray

This was his "first" from 12500', first RW, first kisspass (with Black Death Anna, "the kiss of Death!!") and last but not least, his first bounce!!

So Bill...tell us!

What became of the four case of BEER!?
;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The ground was freshly plowed and it rained the previous 3 or so daze so all was ready. His indent was so clear you could even make out the 3-rings and the weave of the cloth from his clothes.

Did the plaster of paris pick up the detail? Does the cast or bird bath still exist? I think every dropzone should have a copy as a first jump course aid;)
--
Murray

Hi Murrays,
The plaster bird bath was in the Perris Ghetto for a long time and eventually "disappeared from view." Perhaps it may still be under someone's trailer or?? Al Frisby or one of the oher old farts may know what happened to it?? The detail was pretty good in the crater when I saw it!!!! Trying to find the bird bath today may be like trying to find the "Queen Anne's Revenge" here in NC at the coast!! The ledgend lives on!! I think that some of the detail was lost but the basic shape was intact. (perfect cookie cutter imprint!!!!!!!!!!!!)
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out