1 1
steve1

Scary stories from the old days?

Was the H34 that big chopper with an engine on each side? If so I made a bunch of jumps from it in the early 60's while in the Marines. If I remember correctly they held quite a few jumpers but couldn't go too high. We used to throw our extra rigs on it & gear up on the way to altitude.

Was the H34 that big chopper with an engine on each side? If so I made a bunch of jumps from it in the early 60's while in the Marines. If I remember correctly they held quite a few jumpers but couldn't go too high. We used to throw our extra rigs on it & gear up on the way to altitude.

H34 had a big radial up front. You must be thinking of a CH 47 Chinook with a tail gate. Or a CH 46,
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

Hi Dave,
10-4 for sure on the CH-46 Navy/Marines!! HMM-161 (I think) on the USS Okinawa LPH-3 WESTPAC-70 got to snag a few hops at Casselejos X-C the bayfrom Subic!! a few posts back, I made note of the hops, what fun!! John Painter got the pilots to "take 'er up!!" and we were on jump run at 15K!!! Me, John, this Marine #2 Lt. with 15 jumps, PR-1 McKinnis and me!! MjrMassey, the sqdn CO said (or so we found out afterwards) that regs. said we could only do static line hops for sport from Military A/C. Boy were we surprised?? Dude, like we did 15K!! The joke is on him, where ever he is. Boy would I ever love to confront him today with the info about our jump, heheheheheh!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out
  • Like 1

We made some jumps one weekend at Bragg from a Huey in the late 60's. The price was right but the altitude was less than we would have liked.

For the last lift of the day the pilot took us up to altitude 7500' maybe a little more.:)
The crew chief had been flying with us and when he heard we were going to "altitude" he was surprised:o and even hooked up his seat belt for the first time of the day:S

We were told later that the chopper guy's didn't like going up very high in case they sprung a oil leak in their transmission and it ran dry befor they could auto rotate all the way to the ground.

In the late 80's at Fort Lewis the huey's, blackhawks, and chinooks never had a issue with altitude:)
Remember one time at Ft lewis when Range control in all their wisdom gave us a DZ across the road from a Big Bullet range that was having a live fire exercise. Landing short was not a option[:/], although one guy who did land in a tree behind the fireing line.:D

Military choppers rocked for a jump platform, glad we didn't have to ride them to work.

R.I.P.

R.I.P.
  • Like 1

Landed out early one foggy morning from a beacon spot in the hills miles from the DZ. On the walk out I passed a group of horseman who had just killed something ????
They didn't respond to my greeting but just looked at each other as if to work out what to do to me.
I kept walking cheerfully & as soon as I got out of their sight.... I ran.

oh no this has made me remember a whole series of run in with rednecks.

Another time I was nearly run over on purpose by a bunch in a 4WD who kept turning back and having another go at me...whoops some things are better off forgotton....:S
  • Like 1

Well, mine wasn't that scary...compared to some of these posts..(A DOUBLE malfunction?!...HOLY Moses, Mary Mother of Jesus..!!).

I was doing my third jump.
The JM had some trouble spotting that day...

He must've realized the mistake after watching the first two jumpers descending short of the recovery area so he decided to improve his performance and
adjust his fire...for effect.

Well, I ended up way long and I tried my best to crab the windline to get back to the airport.

As I approached the airport I realized I wasn't going to make it with this 35 ft. TU.

...I was now entering that thicker air and I could see that reaching the airport was just wishful thinking.
I now had a decision to make and had three options
before I made my last turn into the wind and brace myself:

Door #1- the highway down below and in front of me
Door #2- the high power transmission lines between me and the airport in the distance.
Door #3- a stand of trees along a roadside ditch between the highway and the transmission lines.

Observing the cars on the highway below me moving at a pretty good clip (and not slowing down) I suspected I was out of their visual - above their windshield view of the world ..so I decided to try for a little more distance and milk the descent just a tad more..and get past that highway and the sound of screeching brakes and the sickening crunch.

OK..that worked, now...power lines or trees, power lines or trees........

Not wanting to add a "sparky" to my jump log I pulled the right toggle and did my turn and ditched in the trees (We had the power line landing in training ..but COME ON ...really now.)

I came down through the branches and ended my journey that afternoon with a buttstrike in the road side ditch as a station wagon went driving by..., junior in the back, with his face pressed against the window, in a slightly excited state jabbering away at mom and dad in the front seat, pointing at the goon in the tree.

Wave to the people...smile.

Free air show for Junior that day.
  • Like 1

oh no this has made me remember a whole series of run in with rednecks.

keeping away from small minded fools , avoiding small minded fools ,running away from small minded fools. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Calling someone a "redneck" for driving a 4WD seems a little small minded. :PB|

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

This one didn't happen to me but was told to me first hand from a gentleman at our dz.
Everyday after jumping we will sit around and down a few and generally after about the second or third I would beg to hear this story again. (I hope I get it right)

I guess the time was either late 60's or early 70s and Mr X competed in style and accuracy throughout the Southern region (Cottonbelt Conference ?). He lived in Tuscaloosa, Al at the time and from what I gathered they would travel to diffrent DZs, whoevers turn it was to be host.

Well things were difficult between Mr. X and his girlfriend at the time and he tied one on pretty good. He then gets a call saying lets go jump at such and such place and he packs his stuff into the car for a 4 hour drive.

No sleep or little sleep he arrives at the DZ in a tired, hazy state when someone yells "Hey X come make the wind dummy load with us". So X gears up and heads to the plane.

From what I understand the wind dummy loads were, by todays standards, low @ about 1500ft.

X gets on the plane (Cessna) and proceeds to fall asleep. Plane climbs to about 1500 and the JM in charge shakes X awake and says come on. X being the last man out decided to have fun. He jumps, rolls on his back and gives the pilot the finger laughing and pointing and generally feeling good about life. Now, still on his back, he notices canopies high above him. Wondering why they had popped so high, a sick feeling grew in his stomach. This jump wasn't from altitude, this was the Wind Drift pass. Quickly he rolled over to his belly and to his horror was directly over the runway.

(At this point he pauses and shakes his head. And opens his arms as wide as they would go)
"The stripe in the runway was this big!!!"

He quickly pulled his main (Round).

"I got line stretch, one swing , and my feet touched the runway" he says then with a slight tremble. "I gathered my gear, walked to my car, and without saying a word to anyone, I left"

He tells this so much better than I and with more detail. Or maybe its the beers....

It's been a while. Got another story?

Yeigh!....Artwardo tells the best jump stories. (I already told all the scary ones that I can remember.) We need a good jump story to listen to....Steve1

So far, the best one Airtwardo has ever told was the night demo with pyrotechnics, and the other one about landing on the roof of a building in the city... just unbelievable and funny as hell, both of them! They're in here on this thread...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Yeigh!....Artwardo tells the best jump stories. (I already told all the scary ones that I can remember.) We need a good jump story to listen to....Steve1

So far, the best one Airtwardo has ever told was the night demo with pyrotechnics, and the other one about landing on the roof of a building in the city... just unbelievable and funny as hell, both of them! They're in here on this thread...

:$:$:$

Who.....ME?!?!?:)

Okay.......... :ph34r:

I gotta quick cute one...

I was doing a demo two weeks ago in Iowa, we were breaking in a new team member 'prospect'.
A VERY accomplished skydiver and BASE jumper that I'd never met, but was a good friend of a couple of guys on the team.

We were going to do a night pyro jump as part of the airshow night time festivities.

The 'new guy' had been trained on the gear and now he was to 'train' me...
it's a little exercise we do when breaking in a noob.

I play the idiot, which isn't a real challenge...and have the prospect explain how everything works and how to use it, what to do as EP's etc...

When he's through, I'll make some suggestions or corrections if needed.

About 1/2 way into it...
He's getting it right for the most part, but is getting a bit frustrated with some of my 'questions' about the system...:ph34r:

Finally....
he says "Listen Jim...
you should probably wait until this "Twardo" guy gets here to explain it all to you better...
From what I hear he knows this stuff inside out...!":)

About this time everyone busts out laughing and we're more 'properly' introduced...

...We had to stand down from the first jump of the day beause of winds. We're all sitting around the team bus telling stories about demos and such...when the 'new guy' starts telling about this crazy bunch of old time outlaw club jumpers from the midwest...

He was telling a tale he'd heard about this goofy fuck that was sitting on the jump step throwing Coors Bottles at grain silos as they flew past them....from 500 feet!:o

All the guys on the team go quiet and look over at ME....:S

So I went ahead and corrected him, it was BUDWEISER bottles...and it was from 200 feet....

AND........ I got 8 out of 12 hits!!B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~
  • Like 1

:$:$:$

Who.....ME?!?!?:)

Okay.......... :ph34r:

I gotta quick cute one...

I doing a demo two weeks ago in Iowa, we were breaking in a new team member 'prospect'.
A VERY accomplished skydiver and BASE jumper that I'd never met, but was a good friend of a couple of guys on the team.

We were going to do a night pyro jump as part of the airshow night time festivities.

The 'new guy' had been trained on the gear and now he was to 'train' me...
it's a little exercise we do when breaking in a noob.

I play the idiot, which isn't a real challenge...and have the prospect explain how everything works and how to use it, what to do as EP's etc...

When he's through, I'll make some suggestions or corrections if needed.

About 1/2 way into it...
He's getting it right for the most part, but is getting a bit frustrated with some of my 'questions' about the system...:ph34r:

Finally....
he says "Listen Jim...
you should probably wait until this "Twardo" guy gets here to explain it all to you better...
From what I hear he knows this stuff inside out...!":)

About this time everyone busts out laughing and we're more 'properly' introduced...

...We had to stand down from the first jump of the day beause of winds. We're all sitting around the team bus telling stories about demos and such...when the 'new guy' starts telling about this crazy bunch of old time outlaw club jumpers from the midwest...

He was telling a tale he'd heard about this goofy fuck that was sitting on the jump step throwing Coors Bottles at grain silos as they flew past them....from 500 feet!:o

All the guys on the team go quiet and look over at ME....:S

So I went ahead and corrected him, it was BUDWEISER bottles...and it was from 200 feet....

AND........ I got 8 out of 12 hits!!B|

Well, did you learn anything? :)

Sparky

8 out of 12 is only 66%, it takes 80% to pass.B|
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

8 out of 12 is only 66%,

Ted Williams WISHED he could have such an average!:P

Who is Ted Williams? Does he jump in Tx? :P

Sparky

Naw...Boston transplant...

He went to your neck of the woods...Sandy Eggo if memory serves...

I know they named a road after him down south on the 15...
I always use to see his name on the bridge....

Hummmmm...maybe he was a BASE jumper?!:P:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~