BMFin

RW or FS ?

I have been wondering why other DZ´s talk about Formation skydiving and some others Relative Work.

Why so ? are they both exactly the same ? Some one told me Relative work is about bigger pictures and FS smaller ones.. ???

Any logic or a story here ?

The Official Name of the activity (as described by the international skydiving council) is Formation Skydiving. It has been known for years as Relative Work. Many, if not most, people still refer to it by that name, but seeing as jumps can be made relative to other jumpers in attitudes other than belly to earth, FS is used to denote groups of bellyfliers building formations.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Terminology may have changed due to Free Style becoming more popular, therefore Formation Skydiving became Relative Work (RW) allowing Free Style to use FS.

Nick

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

IIRC, the term relative work was coined in the 60's, mainly to differentiate flying together and building formations from the solo jump oriented style and accuracy crowd. From what I've been told, the early RW crowd were the freaks of their time.

The term formation skydiving was chosen in the 90's because it describes what is going on to a whuffo far better than the term relative work.

While the official name for it may be formation skydiving, I'll always call it RW.