derweasel

Frustration

Going through AFF training (actually called AFP at Cross Keys -- partial -- one instructor on the main side). Went through 3 tandems and 3 AFP jumps with no problems. Now I am having problems with AFP 4 -- this is the first level I must repeat. It just seems as though when I try to practice and get the right "sweet spot" for these maneuvers, I have to pull! How can I learn something I only get 60 seconds at a time to practice??? I WILL get it, though. I am determined...I don't live near a tunnel (wish I did), so I must learn this sport 60 seconds at a time. Any suggestions or advice??
POP goes derweasel

It is a release with 90 degree turns first to the left, then the right, then track forward and dock. I can go to the left, but when I go to the right, I tend to start 360-ing. When my instructor can get my attention, she gives me a relax signal -- I look at my altimeter and somehow, the 360-ing stops. But then it starts again. Also, the tracking tends to throw me off -- I am 5'8" tall and 110 pounds. Does this small body size make this harder?
POP goes derweasel

It sounds like you are tense still... just relax more in the plane and don't think of a level as a pass or fail... its more of a what can I learn on this one? When people are given a hard set of requirements they tend to tense up in fear of failure. So what if you don't get to move onto the next jump? You learned to exit more stable, turn cleaner, fly the canopy better, land better right? Thats not a failure in my mind,...;)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

You're right, of course. I do need to relax. This past jump, I realized I was not going to finish what I needed to for the requirements. I spent the rest of the jump (15 seconds) trying to find that "sweet spot." Need more air time. Thanks for your advice!
POP goes derweasel

The same thing happened to me, what i was doing was "trying to find the sweet spot", and not letting myself "fall into the sweet spot". I was wasting time fighting the air (the air will win). Relax in the arch, and you will feel yourself fall right into it almost as soon as you leave the door. then you will have so much time left over you wont know what to do with yourself.;)
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

I can't wait for that moment when it all of a sudden becomes obvious. I guess I am fighting with the air. It's hard to relax, though, when you feel the pressure of performing for your instructor and you have just jumped out of a plane at 13,000 feet! More practice.
POP goes derweasel

Ah cripes -- that's all I needed. Another damn $$$ hobby.

Anyone who gets into skydiving for recreation thinking it's not going to be VERY expensive must be out of their minds. It gets much more expensive before you can even begin to recoup any of that money by instructing or through sponsorships. I could have paid cash for several houses with the money I have spent on skydiving.

Chuck

I can't wait for that moment when it all of a sudden becomes obvious. I guess I am fighting with the air. It's hard to relax, though, when you feel the pressure of performing for your instructor and you have just jumped out of a plane at 13,000 feet! More practice.

Relaxing is tough. Here's a tip I received from another instructor, on this site, I think: Each of your AFF signals has a clear physical response (legs out, arch, pull), but the relax signal doesn't, it's pure mental. So, make it physical. When you know you need to relax, take a deep breath, then force yourself to SMILE. The breath should help loosen your chest, and the act of smiling has a relaxing effect on its own.

Try it. And stick with the program.

Lots of people have trouble on a level or two, and spins are super common. Ask your instructor if your arch is too pronounced...sometimes an overarch can cause chipping, spins, and rollovers. Your instructor will be the best source of information about that because she/he is right there with you.

You should kick this problem in just a couple of jumps, and when you have more experience it will be a great story to share with "the kids." Don't let it get you down.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

i had the same problem...and i had to repeat the stage TWICE! i tend to push myself really hard and have very high expectations for myself - this oftentimes results in tensions and frustration when things aren't going the way i want them to go.

as everyone's been telling you, relaxation truly is the key. i finally was able to "feel" the drop in my pelvis when i emulated the posture of Karl Childers (Billy Bob Thornton) from "Slingblade". sounds strange, i know, but it was that posture - hips thrust forward, belly out - that did it for me.

after landing one of my botched AFF level 4 jumps, i whined to my instructor, "...i'm not doing this and it's not doing that and i'm too tense and blah blah blah blah..." he stopped me and said, "Amy...you forgot to have FUN!"

isn't that the only reason we're doing this??? ;)
spiral out...keep going...

I went through a SL progression. On one of my last dives as a student, my instructor just told me to go out and relax. He told me to, once I was good and stable, take a deep breath, bend my head back, and to do nothing with my arms and legs except to let the wind blow them back. He wanted me to like totally relax. It was the most eye-opening dive I ever did, and really one of the most helpful.

Peas~
Lindsey
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Hey Weasel,

I went through AFP at Skydive Chicago a few years ago. If I remember correctly, level 4 is a tough one. This was your first unassisted exit, right? That's always hard, no matter how well the previous jumps went. Add to that heading control, turns AND docks? Anyway, if you're going to get stuck or have to repeat a level, that would be the one. I'm sure your next try will go much better. Don't worry too much about repeating a level; you might still be able to catch up later. Depending on how well you perform, your JM may be able to combine some elements of some levels. I think I did a level 4, then a 4/5 and a 5/6 before I got to level 7. (Obviously, don't suggest this yourself! Your JMs are the best judges of how well your jumps are going and what you are ready for.....)

Try not to worry too much about doing each dive perfectly, and relax. There is a lot to do on each level, but each dive is designed with one or two primary objectives in mind. With level 4, for example, the docks are far less important than getting stable after exit and maintaining a heading and controlling your turns.

Good luck, and don't forget to have fun!!

maura

Actually, this is a release (jump with instructor on main side) jump. After I do a COA, she lets go. From there, I start my turns and tracking. I think level 6 is the first actual unassisted jump.

Your advice -- and everyone else's -- is good. I have to stop being so hard on myself and remember why the hell I am doing this -- IT'S TOO MUCH FUN!
POP goes derweasel

I was the same way when I was a student. I really wanted to get everything just right on each dive, and I was more focused on accomplishing EVERYTHING and "not failing" the level than I was on anything else. It took me til my level 11 to get over that, really.

Keep it up, and remember, we've all been there!

maura

derweasel ...
For what it's worth, I did my AFF Level IV jump yesterday and did not perform the way I would have liked to. I was lucky enough to have passed, but it was a wake up call for me when I jump next, which is hopefully this coming Friday though I haven't told the boss yet that I won't be at work. :o
Anyway I was surprised at how fast I rotated on my turns with the amount of arm and shoulder movements that I applied. My first left turn rotated at least 135 degrees (if not more) as I was too abrupt with the body. I believe my second turn was much better. But then on the forward motion maneuver, I was once again too abrupt with my legs and never did dock with my instructor. [unsure]
But for some reason I passed. My instructor basically told me during the debriefing this was because I never really let myself get too out of control. But I was flustered and not happy with the jump. In retrospective I must tell myself to not get down (there's that have fun theme again). But I know I'll need to do better the next time.
Good luck with your training ... :$

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Level 4 was the one I failed. Most of it went ok, but I was backsliding at pull time, so I did it over. What was funny was when we were on jump run, the guy in front of me asked what jump I was doing. He said, "4? Oh, that's the one I failed," then jumped out the door. It wasn't a good omen, I guess.